Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Every park that I have stayed in during winter months had a truck that made the rounds a couple of times a week. All I had to do was get a window placard from the office and the driver would stop and fill my tank. The one provided by the RV builder only needed fill two times each season. I have stayed in AZ,TX, and Fl without difficulty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Tim; there was originally a metal plate welded to the tank, about 5" square, that gave all the info for the tank, build date and capacity; that may have fallen off. If the fill valve is leaking , there are no service parts, and excessive rust , any shop capable of re-certifying the tank( replacing the valve) , probably won't work on it. Measure the tank and take a picture or two, to a propane distributer. For pricing on a replacement.
Thankyou, I have looked all over the tank and haven't seen anything that tells of size and so on. Its just rusty around the front 1/4-1/2 of the tank you can still see paint. I see one at a RV Place that wants $599.00 plus shipping for one that looks just like it.
I have a call into one of our local propane dealers and am waiting too hear back. I don't expect to hear anything until Monday. I hope it can be fixed cheaper. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks again. Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #17

Around here, if you rent a tank from a local dealer, you are locked in on a contract which forces you to buy the LPG from that dealer and a certain minimum/year. Their prices at 2-4 times more expensive than if you own your own tank and choose your own dealer. Cenex locally delivers to their leased tanks for around $4-5/gallon. The local independent dealer charges $1.49/gallon if you own the tank.

I bought a used (like new) 250 gallon tank that was half-full for $500. You can find them cheaper than that on Craigslist.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've never been on Craigs list. Hear of alot of horry stories but I will give her a try. Thanks,Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I've never been on Craigs list. Hear of alot of horry stories but I will give her a try. Thanks,Tim
Just use your common sense and you'll be okay. Turns out the guy I bought my tank from is a county Deputy Sheriff. You should be able to phone or email the seller and figure out if he's shinin' you on. Ask for pictures, take a large friend along and meet in a public place. Size up the seller, as I'm sure he's looking you over, too.

However, truth be known, before I looked at Craig's list, I placed a "Want to buy" ad on a local "Hunting" forum. It took about a week or two, but I was contacted by a fellow on the forum who had a history of many postings on the forum. I took the time to look at his previous postings and got a good feel for his character.

So, you might consider doing the same thing on a forum that is populated with the sort of folks you trust. You might consider the area which you are willing to go to make a deal and find a forum that covers that area. In my ad, I specified the distance I would be willing to travel. Local RV forums come to mind, but if you have another interest, such as I did with hunting and fishing, you can look for an appropriate forum.

BTW, do some research on tanks before you go shopping. Portable tanks need to be recertified every 12 years IIRC or the supplier can refuse to fill them. Other, larger tanks never need recertification as long as they still have the data plate attached. A lot of people remove a data plate to convert the tank for use as a water tank, or other purpose. Even with a data plate, consider the condition of the tank. I'm sure you don't want a rust bucket that's been sitting unused in a field for 10 years.

Other questions you can ask are things like, "Is the regulator included?" I was pleasantly surprised to find it was - along with the tank being 1/2 full. My tank weighed 500# and the included Propane weighed another 500#. Made it a little harder to hoist in the back of my pickup truck, but it rode well for the 20 miles back home. I built a gantry out of a 4"x8" timber and four 2" pipe legs, to hang a chain hoist to lift it in and out of the truck.

After I installed in behind the house, I found the white color distracting, seen from my office window. An 8'x10' camo tarp from Amazon fixed that in short order. Even though it's only 10' from the house, you have to look hard to see it.

JMHO - Cheers and good luck.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Propane tank

At our fall campground we have propane delivered by truck even tho we have only a 40 gallon tank.We have a class A diesel and I understand such deliveries can't be made to most RV's but our dealer has the proper hookup for our unit and our unit like wise.

Tags
propane, tank