Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

Propane Tanks

Since I am a full timer and stay in one place most of the time I am going to need a larger propane tank for winter for heating and cooking! Any suggestions on the best place to purchase? I can get it filled myself no problem just need to get the tank!

NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Most building supply box stores, Home Depot, Lowes etc. carry a selection of sizes. 5,7&9 gal. After the 9 gal. size ( weighs approx 60 lbs. full) they get very hard to handle. Next size up weighs 160 full.
Better 2 smaller than one large. When it comes to transporting them.
You may want to inquire at local propane supply places about , large, filled on site tanks for rent. If your park will allow them.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't personally use them but I see several folks use very large tanks that they get from the propane dealer in the area. The dealer then fills and refills the tank as needed.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #4

Yes and you can buy or rent them
Old 10-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

If staying in one place for a good period of time you can probably rent a 100 gallon tank (shaped like the tank you use on a bbq) but to heavy to take to for refill. The dealer you rent it from would come out to fuel it. You could look on Craigslist for 25 gallon (not 25 pound) and maybe buy one. Those get heavy when filled but you can get them in the back of a vehicle and take to have filled - I used to do that because it was cost less than when they delivered.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

If you are in a campground check with them as to what is allowed. Many will have deals with the vendor they use and they can supply and fill the tank. We use to have a 275 size and we just had to pay for the propane when delivered.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #7

Most LP companies rent 250G tanks (either horizontal or vertical). They will place it next to your RV and either fill upon request or auto-fill, your choice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #8

The place we used in our long term stay rented us a 125 gal tank for a dollar and filled it every couple of weeks when we left they topped it off so they could tell what was left in it and bought the unused gas from us.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a standard BBQ tank, they last anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks depending on how cold it gets in Louisiana.

But you have to either disconnect your existing tank and use a coupler and hose.

Or

buy this. it has one input for and external tank and one output to connect to my BBQ grill.

Amazon.com: Camco 59123 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Port with 5' and 12' Hose: Automotive
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For long term parking consider a rental.... Google PROPANE and the zip code of the lot. IE Propane 12345

Find a dealer with trucks who delivers

They bring out like a 200 pounder, drop it next to your RV, you hook it up with hoses you get from them and a Stay A While adapter, (if its a motor home) or just hook it up if it's a trailer (Extension hose) and they come out from time to time and top it off as needed when you call.

DO keep the other tanks full so you can swap in a full tank (Switch valve at first then swap tanks when needed) in case you run out.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking about Propane tanks, I think I need to replace mine on my Cls A 1982 PA, it leaks where you fill it up. Could it just be a rubber O ring? Can it be (Fill Valve) unscrewed and replaced The MH has 52,000 miles and I have never driven it in the winter (Ive had it 4 yrs) but I think the PO has, (he owned it for 28 years) its kind of rusty from salt or driving on a gravel roads. I have been using it for the last 4 years and just noticed the smell Infrequently, bought a bottle of leak finder and I see a few small bubbles around the rubber O rings. How do I find out the size? Gallons or Lbs?
Thanks, Tim
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Just talked to a delivery company and was told that the tank (350 Litre) was $85 / yr rental and no charge to hook it up into you m/h or coach. Will check it every week and fill when required.

Propane @ $.75.9 / litre.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
bought one at costco. Cheapest propane around when you need a refill most times
Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Talking about Propane tanks, I think I need to replace mine on my Cls A 1982 PA, it leaks where you fill it up. Could it just be a rubber O ring? Can it be (Fill Valve) unscrewed and replaced The MH has 52,000 miles and I have never driven it in the winter (Ive had it 4 yrs) but I think the PO has, (he owned it for 28 years) its kind of rusty from salt or driving on a gravel roads. I have been using it for the last 4 years and just noticed the smell Infrequently, bought a bottle of leak finder and I see a few small bubbles around the rubber O rings. How do I find out the size? Gallons or Lbs?
Thanks, Tim
Tim; there was originally a metal plate welded to the tank, about 5" square, that gave all the info for the tank, build date and capacity; that may have fallen off. If the fill valve is leaking , there are no service parts, and excessive rust , any shop capable of re-certifying the tank( replacing the valve) , probably won't work on it. Measure the tank and take a picture or two, to a propane distributer. For pricing on a replacement.

Tags
propane, tank