Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Propane use to cool down refrigerator...

Wanted to ask folks about using the propane on my 5th wheel to cool the freezer and refrigerator before using my trailer. I am not able to bring my trailer to my house prior to leave on trips. That being said, I wanted to see if there would be any issues with me using my propane to do this about 24hrs prior to use. My only concern is the fact that I have to leave the trailer batteries on for that amount of time. Will this be OK? Didn't want to run the batts down etc. Please advise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 12:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Wanted to ask folks about using the propane on my 5th wheel to cool the freezer and refrigerator before using my trailer. I am not able to bring my trailer to my house prior to leave on trips. That being said, I wanted to see if there would be any issues with me using my propane to do this about 24hrs prior to use. My only concern is the fact that I have to leave the trailer batteries on for that amount of time. Will this be OK? Didn't want to run the batts down etc. Please advise.
Doing this should be no different than the way you use it while camping. The refrigerator uses very little battery and propane and it is designed to operate this way.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Doing this should be no different than the way you use it while camping. The refrigerator uses very little battery and propane and it is designed to operate this way.
The reason I ask is because I do not use (of haven't used) propane when camping. Thus far I have been in full hookup locations and use electricity. Just didn't want the batteries to die on me.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guess it all depends on your batteries state of charge. Are they completely charged? If they are it should be no problem for a 24hr stint.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
The reason I ask is because I do not use (of haven't used) propane when camping. Thus far I have been in full hookup locations and use electricity. Just didn't want the batteries to die on me.
I suggest you check your battery condition and make sure they are still good and have a full charge. Not sure what kind of batteries you have nor how many but even a good single 12 volt should be no problem for a couple of days. Also, you may want to use your propane once in a while just to make sure there are no spider webs or other obstructions in there that will affect the flame and the way it cools.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also check to be sure everything is turned off that could be a battery drain. And don't forget the amplifier for the TV antenna, that one is easy to miss. On our previous TT and our current MH, it is a button on the panel where the TV coax cable attaches.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

We do it all the time with no problems. I have found it takes very little time to cool down using propane (much more efficient than electricity).
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post
We do it all the time with no problems. I have found it takes very little time to cool down using propane (much more efficient than electricity).
Same on our '02 DSDP, but we had four deep cycle house batteries too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
If your batteries go down in a 24 hour period, it won't be from the refrigerator operating on propane. Something else would have to be using electricity more than the fridge. Now, if it does happen and they are drained in a 24 hour period, then your batteries were already ruined, and you simply didn't know it because you were always plugged in...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Just make sure the trailer is relatively level. Propane use is minimal and battery usage isn't even noticable.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #11

On the back of your frig is a data plate that shows 12V amp draw while the frig is on. I once calculated battery longevity for our 5er, which turned out to be almost 30 days with 2 RV/Marine deep-cycle batteries. That takes into account one should not deplete batteries over 50% if you want them to last a long time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #12

same boat

Just make sure the gas is really working, just went through the routine of getting the gas turned on properly if You have the flow restriction (green) hoses on twin tanks. It will flow a small amount but not enough to operate if not done right. Cost me some head scratching!
samck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by samck View Post
Just make sure the gas is really working, just went through the routine of getting the gas turned on properly if You have the flow restriction (green) hoses on twin tanks. It will flow a small amount but not enough to operate if not done right. Cost me some head scratching!

It is called 'excess flow device'
It is a ball bearing inside the ACME Nut (Green...but could be Black or Red depending on FLOW RATING)

When you OPEN the propane service valve do it slowly.
This allows for downstream pressure to build/equalize with the upstream pressure...... ball bearing re-centers when pressure is equalized

IF you open valve quickly the ball bearing gets pushed towards output side of hose and limits flow.
Close service valve wait 1 minute then SLOWLY open it back up.
Ball bearing should then re-center allowing FULL flow.

Typical RV absorption fridge that uses 12V DC for controls will draw less than 2 amps while on propane
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #14

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the frig. thread with gas. Thanks for the info on the LP hoses, had never dealt with dual tanks and one was empty. I had one burner on the stove working so assumed gas was on. It wasn't enough to work the frig. Have this kind of hose on grills and cookers but no double tank regulators. A newbe that hasn't read enough yet apparently! Working hard to correct that. I will make sure I have full gas flow after restarting from bottle changes though.
samck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refrigerator