Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I recomend acetone, but denatured alcohol can be used do not dilute. Do not use anything with petroleum or citric acid. Use rubber gloves, that stuff is hard on the hands.
4 tubes should be plenty and any left over can be saved.
now i am confused, i went up to check the roof out yesterday. I am assuming this dicor stuff is around all the vents. The top roof seam looks to be some sort of other caulk, not the self leveling dicor? Are you saying to put dicor on the top seam on both sides? It's only like 1/4" wide?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two types of Dicor sealant. 501 is self leveling for use on horizontal surfaces. 551 is non sag for use on vertical surfaces.
If you are referring to where the roof meets the sidewall use 551 there.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
There are two types of Dicor sealant. 501 is self leveling for use on horizontal surfaces. 551 is non sag for use on vertical surfaces.
If you are referring to where the roof meets the sidewall use 551 there.
I found some Geocel 2300 at the local roofing supply shop for $6 a tube. I read i can use this, right? Heard good things about it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cant comment on it, never used it. If it has petrolium distillates in it dont use it. it will attack the roof membrane
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #19

Is there anything out there that doesn't have petroleum distillates in it? I mean, even toothpaste has it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many things, do your own research.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #21

No need to remove the old dicor, just go over it
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #22

Here's how you do it... forget the mesh.. mesh is only used on MOBILE home roofs where you put down Kool Seal ( which has NO place on an rv roof unless it's an aluminum roof ).. forget the spray stuff, it's not meant for sealing roof seams. User Dicor self leveling sealant, and the Dicor 551 no-sag for vertical areas. Then there's no question about whether its safe or it's gonna work. It can be safely applied over the existing sealant, as long as the existing sealant isn't peeling off. All you need to do is use some rubber roof cleaner and a medium-stiff bristle scrub brush... scrub the area,rinse thoroughly, let it dry a couple hours. Again, if you use the rubber roof cleaner, there's no question if it's safe to use on a rubber roof. Remember with self- leveling sealant," less is more".... no need to gob it on and string it all over. Let it dry 24 hrs, then you can enjoy rv and not worry about leaks. I check my roof monthly,even though a minimum inspection should be every 3 months, but I tend to be rather fussy about my rv care. Hope this will help !
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #23

Quote:
I cant comment on it, never used it. If it has petrolium distillates in it dont use it. it will attack the roof membrane
OK, i got the facts on the Gecel. Geocel 2300 can be used on the vertical areas around windows and other verical seams. It cannot be used on rubber.

Geocel 4500 is what i bought, runs $6.95 a tube and can be used on rubber. It comes in black and white. It states to only use white on white and black on black roof. I am going to use this to apply at the top roof seam.

Thanks for all your help, i suppose i still have alot to learn. I will have some more noob questions very soon, thank you for your patience.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
Here's how you do it... forget the mesh.. mesh is only used on MOBILE home roofs where you put down Kool Seal ( which has NO place on an rv roof unless it's an aluminum roof ).. forget the spray stuff, it's not meant for sealing roof seams. User Dicor self leveling sealant, and the Dicor 551 no-sag for vertical areas. Then there's no question about whether its safe or it's gonna work. It can be safely applied over the existing sealant, as long as the existing sealant isn't peeling off. All you need to do is use some rubber roof cleaner and a medium-stiff bristle scrub brush... scrub the area,rinse thoroughly, let it dry a couple hours. Again, if you use the rubber roof cleaner, there's no question if it's safe to use on a rubber roof. Remember with self- leveling sealant," less is more".... no need to gob it on and string it all over. Let it dry 24 hrs, then you can enjoy rv and not worry about leaks. I check my roof monthly,even though a minimum inspection should be every 3 months, but I tend to be rather fussy about my rv care. Hope this will help !
i used mineral spirits to clean the seam instead, i didnt want to wait for drying with water
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem69 View Post
i looked at the Eternabond and it costs $75 for a roll. Do ya think i should just shell out the $25 and do it with the Dicor?

What is this mesh stuff my mr. peabody father in law keeps telling me to put down? he states i have to put a mesh down due to expansion and contraction
Actually the retail is $75... you can get it much cheaper at ABC roofing supply under the Mulehide brand (same product).
A 6" roll is $52. A 3" roll can be bought for $45. More than enough to do any roof. Only other recommendation would be to get EternaPrime spray so the tape will stick forever. Also youll need a weighted roller to activate the tape.
You do it once (correctly) and its done forever. So years 2-10 when your climbing up on the roof with a couple of $10 dicor tubes...you will regret not doing the Eternabond
Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I found some Geocel 2300 at the local roofing supply shop for $6 a tube. I read i can use this, right? Heard good things about it.
are you trying to do this task on the cheap or correctly??
You can use sikaflex too... until the sun deterioates it.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #27

Quote:
i used mineral spirits to clean the seam instead, i didnt want to wait for drying with water
if you don't like the peaches, don't shake the tree......just sayin.....

rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof