Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

proper way to reseal roof?

Hi, i just bought a 2002 Flagstaff 25LB trailer. I was checking out the roof and it looks like it will need to be sealed along the top seam. The seller just had this done in July, 2011. Looks like they caulked around all the windows and side seams. They only hit one 2 ft. area along the top roof seam.
Anyway, my question is do i have to scrape out all the Dicor along the roof seam? Or can i just apply over the existing?
After researching seems i should use Dicor for the roof and Geocell for the side seams and windows, correct?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

Ya know that spray on stuff they show on an infomercial, where they put a screen door in the bottom of a boat and coat it with this rubberized stuff? I wonder if they made it in white, it would work to seal a MH.

You could lay down two strips of wide blue painter's tape and spray just the seam.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

And mighty putty can fix the rest! Lol
Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Ya know that spray on stuff they show on an infomercial, where they put a screen door in the bottom of a boat and coat it with this rubberized stuff? I wonder if they made it in white, it would work to seal a MH.

You could lay down two strips of wide blue painter's tape and spray just the seam.
ya know, i get tired of coming to sites for help and get smart ass answers because the site is full of dealers who want your money.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem69 View Post
ya know, i get tired of coming to sites for help and get smart ass answers because the site is full of dealers who want your money.
That was a serious answer. If they can float a boat with a screen door coated with that stuff, why wouldn't it work on a motor home seam. If I had a leak and they made it in white, I would use it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

Mayhem69, Have you looked into using a wide strip of Eternabond over the roof seam? You would want to make sure the old caulk is not too uneven, and clean really well before laying the tape down and roll it down well. Just a thought.

Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no need to remove the old Dicor completley unless the bond has failed. Clean the area with acetone and apply self leveling Dicor.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
There is no need to remove the old Dicor completley unless the bond has failed. Clean the area with acetone and apply self leveling Dicor.
thank you for your answer, that is what i thought but just wanted to make sure.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItascaRVer View Post
Mayhem69, Have you looked into using a wide strip of Eternabond over the roof seam? You would want to make sure the old caulk is not too uneven, and clean really well before laying the tape down and roll it down well. Just a thought.

Wayne
i looked at the Eternabond and it costs $75 for a roll. Do ya think i should just shell out the $25 and do it with the Dicor?

What is this mesh stuff my mr. peabody father in law keeps telling me to put down? he states i have to put a mesh down due to expansion and contraction
Old 04-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
i looked at the Eternabond and it costs $75 for a roll. Do ya think i should just shell out the $25 and do it with the Dicor?

What is this mesh stuff my mr. peabody father in law keeps telling me to put down? he states i have to put a mesh down due to expansion and contraction
Forget about the mesh stuff its not necessary. You will notice that Dicor is very flexable.
You will also find that to install eternabond tape it is recommended that you also use their primer and seal the edges with Dicor.
I have not personally seen an Eternabond application that is over a year old so I can not comment on the durability. Some say it will last forever, but thats a long long time. Maybe an exaggeration
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:

I think he may be right about that mesh product because I have used that self leveling stuff for the RV roof around the shower skylight and the self leveling stuff keeps on craking in the midle and it as caused a water leack in the past, I gues because its quit a bit thick in that spot that you might need some type of tape like its used on sheetrock joints, I'm not sure about this but at least I think thats the way to do it, but please lets hear what guys have to say because I need to fix it it. Thanks Joe
Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #12

Sealing edges of roof

Take a picture of what you are trying to seal and go to your local RV place with it. If you end up using externabond tape do a search for it on the internet as the prices vary and it comes in different widths. If you just need to prime and then seal use blue tape as suggested. Remove the blue tape after applying the final sealer. Get on the internet for dicor and other co's that make RV roof sealing products. Best of luck with your repairs. You are wise to do the repairs to keep your rv leak free. The best thing to do with your windows is to remove them and seal with butyl tape on the window edge. Put back in place and caulk with Lexell caulk. This can be found at ace hardwear or on the net. Do not under any circumstances use silicone caulk as it has no UV properties and simply put it is the wrong one to use. Another caulk you can use is silkaflex A. I am told you can find this at Home Depot or on the internet. It is an elastomeric caulk. Best of luck with your repairs.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Forget about the mesh stuff its not necessary. You will notice that Dicor is very flexable.
You will also find that to install eternabond tape it is recommended that you also use their primer and seal the edges with Dicor.
I have not personally seen an Eternabond application that is over a year old so I can not comment on the durability. Some say it will last forever, but thats a long long time. Maybe an exaggeration
thanks for your help
So, when i clean the seams what should i use? Like stated above, acetone or a water solution of some kind?
Also, about how many tubes of the dicor would i need for a 25 ft. trailer, doing both sides? I was thinking 3 or 4 possibly.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recomend acetone, but denatured alcohol can be used do not dilute. Do not use anything with petroleum or citric acid. Use rubber gloves, that stuff is hard on the hands.
4 tubes should be plenty and any left over can be saved.

Tags
roof