Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Property Tax on RVs in SC

Quote:
Personal property tax is collected annually on cars, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, boats and airplanes, based on their fair market value. If you own a $10,000 car, based on the average millage rate, your personal property tax would be $268.

For information about personal property tax on motor vehicles, call the auditor's office in the county where you plan to live.
From the Website Moving to South Carolina Tax Guide
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #2

Property Tax on RVs in SC

Does anyone know the particulars on the vehicle tax on RVs in SC? I heard that RVs (as well as cars, boats, airplanes, etc) are subject to personal property taxes that must be paid before you can obtain tags. is this an annual tax and what is the cost estimate?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #3

You do have to list them and pay the taxes.It is annual and they go by model and current value.(I have a 2000 TT Hornet 30 ft bunkhouse 30.00 per year without tag)
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
A couple years ago I called the county assessor where we own an RV lot and asked for an estimate as to what the anual property taxes would be for our then '07 Tiffin Allegro (gas) and '07 Jeep Wrangler. I don't remember how they broke out individually, but it was around $1,800, per year. The plates themselves are cheap.

We just bought a pontoon boat and the dealer told us to expect a $500 property tax bill the first year. This does go down, reportedly, each year.

We established our legal residence in South Dakota an everything is titled there, except the boat. I didn't figure it was right to title it there as it will likely never leave SC.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

When I retired 15 years ago I moved to SC because of a lady friend I had at the time who lived there. I had a new P/U truck at the time and when I went to register it in SC I found out about the tax I would have to pay. They also have a state income tax. Kept my Texas tags and came back home to the Lone Star State.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We established our legal residence in South Dakota an everything is titled there, except the boat. I didn't figure it was right to title it there as it will likely never leave SC.
So you structured your domicile to save your tax $$?? Some folks might call that "evading"
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
So you structured your domicile to save your tax $$?? Some folks might call that "evading"

Some might call it evading, some as in I, might call it you have to live somewhere, why not live where it is advantagous to your situation.
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

some might call SC a gouger.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #9

There is indeed a property tax on all vehicles here in SC and must be paid to the county prior to obtaining or renewing tags. There are two options for rv's. One is to register it as a vehicle with the county and the other is to register it as a second home. The latter is usually more cost effective. You should call the tax office in the county that you are in or plan to live in to get the rates for your unit.

The good news about SC in that sales tax is limited to $300 on any and all vehicles. So a $6,000 used car is $300. A $1m yacht is $300. Makes no sense.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You must work for the current Federal government. LOL
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #11

SC also taxes race cars believe it or not. Evidently owning a box trailer might get you a visit from the assessor to see why you have it.......

Years ago Indiana used to tax all "property" - meaning ALL YOUR STUFF. They adopted a larger sales tax and larger license taxes and now just tax the value of your structure.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:

So the man pays taxes where he lives! Evasion? Get real!!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the same tax situation here in Virginia. Cars, boats, RVs, aircraft are taxed yearly based on NADA, or some other guide, listed value. I get a bill every six months from my local treasurer. Next bill is due late November and I anticipate $157 on a 2006 Hurricane 31D or 1% of assessed value.

The tax rate varies by county and is based on where the vehicle is garaged not where the owner resides. Some counties can have pretty high tax rates and enterprising owners will store their coach in a neighboring country that has a lower rate.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #14

So when you purchase the RV or a boat or a trailer, you pay the tax on it? then you get to pay a tax on it again each year ? and again , and AGAIN ???
That certainly must be a nice feature for the real estate brokers in South Carolina.

Tags
rvs