Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
Thank you to all for your inputs, thoughts, considerations, and feedback.

Quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
I wouldn't do it either. We use our rig alot and it's always fully loaded except for fridge items. So we're ready to go at a moments notice, just pack some food in the fridge and freezer, hook-up and we're off. I can't imagine moving everything in and out everytime it was our turn. Even if you leave dishes in it, what will happen when you take out a glass and find green mold growing in the bottom. Would you loan your buddy 50% of the cost of the RV? Watch Judge Judy and see how many people are there because they loaned or borrowed money from a friend.......not friends any more.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #31
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought land with a buddy of mine from the Corps. *Still friends but it was a true test. *Olny thing that kept us from becoming alienated is the strongest bond this side of heaven. *But it did test that bond.

If you cherish the friendship don't test it.*
2010 Damon Daybreak 3204 Sport, bunkhouse with Jeep Wrangler toad.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
I owned half of a boat with a "Friend" I drew up the agreement and it was iron clad i assure you. NO ONE could use the boat without the two owners present. NO ONE, then his son wanted to just go out for a trip, and then the motor didnt start, and then the water pump didnt work and and and . End of Friendship, sold the boat. One story in a bazillion on why you do not want a partner owning a motorhome. share a pup tent , own your own Motor home. !

Don and Nancy
2011 Allegro RED
2012 Equinox
2007 Yorkie
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #33
Alpine Owners Club
Joint Purchase

Having been involved in a joint purchase with someone before my opinion is that they do not work. Somewhere down the line it creates problems between the two parties.
Fordiesel250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #34
Newmar Owners Club
I have a "joint partner" on mine now. Works out great as long as I do as the DW says.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #35
Thor Owners Club
Always in your head you don't own it.

My first RV a 98 dutchstar, I bought with a good friend! We shared all expenses and cost. He used it much more than I did. It was a good trial to see if I liked RVing. We sold it 3yrs later summer of 2010. Although I did not use it often maybe 5 times in the 3 yrs I knew it was something I wanted to have in the future. The next 9 months all I could think about was a RV all to myself. My wife was looking on Internet and found the ACE reviews from Louisville Ky RV show, and how dog friendly it was. Our kids are now in there early 20's and will rarely be with us, but on occasion will go on long fun trips with us.
We want on a search to find it and purchased it March of 2011. I had no issues with sharing ownership, However I would step down in price a little and be a sole owner if at all possible. PS. He and his wife are still our good friends.
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #36
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BAD, BAD,BAD idea. I once went into a business with someone who I thought was a friend, and he stole me blind. Needless to say, we are no longer friends and I learned an expensive lesson. If I can't afford to pay for my motorhome of to operate it, I will sell it.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #37
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like a receipe for disaster to me! You'll be much happier with your own rig! Friends and money don't mix! (And RV's are big money to own and operate!)
2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 35' Ford Chassis
Benny367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #38
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just don't do it!
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I am sure you and your friends are excited and thinking this is the best way to get an RV. Wouldn't it be a better idea for each of you to buy an RV that each can afford on your own and go RVing together when possible and separate other times. You may have to start out with an older model, but there are some nicely kept rigs out there. Maybe not as big, but your young and can trade up in the future. Before we went full time, I bought dishes, sheets, towels, etc and left them in the RV. No matter how good of friends you are, someone is not going to clean good enough, someone is going to break something, and I could go on and on. Bad idea! But also, if I get a last minute invitation to go camping, I'm going to want to go. If it's your friends weekend, you are stuck to home and mad. I would be. I just don't see anyway of this working, no matter how much you put in writing, or how fair you think it will all be. Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #40
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
lots of smart or well experienced folk contributing to this thread.
As a single private owner I no longer want to invite "friends" along for a weekend trip in mine. Too bad for those friends... as they can sleep under the stars or in the cold or damp dew or cheap motel...lol. Ill slum it bymyself.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #41
Several posts here giving valid reasons why not to buy a MH jointly. My experience with joint ownership, a house boat and a MH (only two owners) is they worked out great. We started an LLC and drew up resolutions requiring each owner to contribute a set dollar amount at the begining of each year. We both were like minded individuals who took care of our stuff and also reconized we each shared in expenses. We also never got bogged down with the nickle and dime stuff.

That being said, currently, my wife and Ireally enjoy having our own MH. No need to unload clothes and whatnots. Just get in and go.
StaceyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #42
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PRO: Lower personal cost, Rig gets more use (RV's like to be used, the worst thing for any vehicle, both automobile and trailer, is to sit there doing nothing)

Cons: There are a few:

Conflicts over use, "I need the RV this weekend, but it's my weekend, but I need it, but it's mine, but.." Well you get the picture.

Marriage: A joint purchase is like a contract marraige,, And as you may know Marraige is the #1 cause of Divorce. and though love is grand, Divorce, $20 grand.

and of course there is one that 3 communications techinicians demonstrated so well one day when they were all in my office at once.. "It is his fault". (they all pointed at one another, Finally one of them stepped up and proved who's fault it was, the next day it was fixed and working properly)

That is to say when/if the rig is damaged he will say it's your fault and quite likely you will be saying it's his.

However, many people do pull it off (Just like when Wife and I got hitched.. Some 33 years ago.. Folks thought "it will never last".. so far... So good)

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote