Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Prostate exams while at home or traveling

I know the PSA test has been used for a long time but just recently I've been reading about a newer, supposedly better, test for determining problems with the protate. It's called the Prostate Health Index and has been used in cases where a prostate biopsy might have been called for .

Has anyone heard of or used this Prostate Health Index with good results?
My PSA keeps going up a little each year and I'm just wondering when the doctor will suggest a biopsy, which I've heard is worse than getting flipped in the butt with a wet towel. Not that I'm really squeemish about a little pain but I've also heard there's always the danger of an infection after a biopsy.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I know the PSA test has been used for a long time but just recently I've been reading about a newer, supposedly better, test for determining problems with the protate. It's called the Prostate Health Index and has been used in cases where a prostate biopsy might have been called for .

My PSA keeps going up a little each year and I'm just wondering when the doctor will suggest a biopsy, which I've heard is worse than getting flipped in the butt with a wet towel. Not that I'm really squeemish about a little pain but I've also heard there's always the danger of an infection after a biopsy.
I would say a slow death from Prostate cancer will hurt a bit more!

Sudsy

5 way bypass/exploded appendix/ recent Gall Bladder removal. Besides a bunch of broken bones over the years.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

Quote:

There is always a risk of infection from any medical procedure but it is small. I had biopsy done and can't say it was painful at all. Small pinch from numbing injection. They took about 16 snips to get a broad sample range. Took probably less than 30 minutes. Small amount of bleeding but all was good in a couple of days. Way better than passing a kidney stone.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I would say a slow death from Prostate cancer will hurt a bit more!

Sudsy

5 way bypass/exploded appendix/ recent Gall Bladder removal. Besides a bunch of broken bones over the years.
Golly, you've had your share of repairs over the years. All I've had is one hip replacement and that was bad enough.

Definitely agree with your first statement, but I've read about so high a percentage of biopsys based entirely on the PSA turn out to be nothing. Just thinking about a second opinion before going through that procedure.

Based on my history where my previous urologist (before he moved to another town about 5 years ago) wanted to do a biopsy because the PSA was up about 1 1/2 points at my annual exam but I requested a second PSA in a couple of weeks and the reading was back down where it always was. Some doctors are just too eager to start jabbing or cutting. Always like to have a second opinion, or third.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Golly, you've had your share of repairs over the years. All I've had is one hip replacement and that was bad enough.

Definitely agree with your first statement, but I've read about so high a percentage of biopsys based entirely on the PSA turn out to be nothing. Just thinking about a second opinion before going through that procedure.

Based on my history where my previous urologist (before he moved to another town about 5 years ago) wanted to do a biopsy because the PSA was up about 1 1/2 points at my annual exam but I requested a second PSA in a couple of weeks and the reading was back down where it always was. Some doctors are just too eager to start jabbing or cutting. Always like to have a second opinion, or third.

I agree wagonmaster. My urologist was eager to do biopsy in his office ($2K) when the digital exam showed nothing, ultrasound showed nothing, just high psa which I had for 15 years.
I said no, let me think about it.
Made appointment for 3T MRI scan and paid from my own pocket. It showed enlarged prostate, but no suspect mass anywhere.
That was last year. Will do it again this year. If there is something suspicious, I’ll do MRI guided biopsy. Not someone pocking blindly with a needle, hoping to find something.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

This is not meant to be a joke but when you say Index do you mean the doctors index finger? My doctor stopped that method in favour of the psa test not sure why. Guess he had better things to do with his fingers.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
This is not meant to be a joke but when you say Index do you mean the doctors index finger? My doctor stopped that method in favour of the psa test not sure why. Guess he had better things to do with his fingers.
I think they use a telephone pole now.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #8

The Prostate Health Index (phi) is a convenient blood test that is 3 times more specific than PSA in detecting prostate cancer than PSA and free PSA alone.
  • phi measures 3 different types of PSA (prostate-specific antigen) and is a more accurate way to assess prostate cancer risk than PSA and percent free PSA alone.
  • phi values are associated with increased probability of prostate cancer, and with more aggressive disease.
  • phi can also help differentiate prostate cancer from benign conditions and possibly reduce 26% of unnecessary biopsies for men with elevated PSA levels within a certain range.
https://www.myinnovativelab.com/prostate-cancer/

It's been around since at least 2014 but will your insurance pay for it?
If not it only costs about $150.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
I think they use a telephone pole now.
Wth ! Lol
Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
The Prostate Health Index (phi) is a convenient blood test that is 3 times more specific than PSA in detecting prostate cancer than PSA and free PSA alone.
  • phi measures 3 different types of PSA (prostate-specific antigen) and is a more accurate way to assess prostate cancer risk than PSA and percent free PSA alone.
  • phi values are associated with increased probability of prostate cancer, and with more aggressive disease.
  • phi can also help differentiate prostate cancer from benign conditions and possibly reduce 26% of unnecessary biopsies for men with elevated PSA levels within a certain range.
https://www.myinnovativelab.com/prostate-cancer/

It's been around since at least 2014 but will your insurance pay for it?
If not it only costs about $150.
I learn something new every day.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
don't known the name of test sorry
but doc put a tiny camera up and in wear you pee and had it hooked up to a monitor
i did not want to watch it but was told everything is fine
all the blood test were fine also
so all is good
Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
I agree wagonmaster. My urologist was eager to do biopsy in his office ($2K) when the digital exam showed nothing, ultrasound showed nothing, just high psa which I had for 15 years.
I said no, let me think about it.
Made appointment for 3T MRI scan and paid from my own pocket. It showed enlarged prostate, but no suspect mass anywhere.
That was last year. Will do it again this year. If there is something suspicious, I’ll do MRI guided biopsy. Not someone pocking blindly with a needle, hoping to find something.
Thanks for the support Buly. I'm really interested in the 3T MRI scan, which I've never heard of. Had an Open MRI several years ago for a lower back pain. Can you explain the procedure for the 3T scan, where did you have it done, and approximately the cost? I'd certainly pay for it myself if Medicare won't cover it vs letting someone poke around my butt with a needle however many time he decided to do..

Appreciate all the responses from everyone. Will see how my appointment goes tomorrow.

tfryman - Good to know the cost of the PHI, which ain't that bad if the doctor won't arrange for it under insurance.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the support Buly. I'm really interested in the 3T MRI scan, which I've never heard of. Had an Open MRI several years ago for a lower back pain. Can you explain the procedure for the 3T scan and where did you have it done?

Appreciate all the responses from everyone. Will see how my appointment goes tomorrow.

Wagonmaster,
3T MRI creates 3dimentional image of the prostate and associated organs. The dr. Can rotate the image and look for abnormally.
It is done in enclosed (tube like) scanner. It takes about 20 min.
A bit claustrophobic, but no big deal. Here is some more general info.
Good luck tomorrow.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	185763
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Not to detract from a serious question and one all males should be aware of.

But I feel lately like I am having a prostate exam by the Government on a daily basis
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel