Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We carry bear spray but I'll probably add a couple of cans of wasp spray some day. We've logged 34,000 miles through 34 states and >1000 nights on the road...99% in CGs... and have never once been in a situation anywhere close to calling for any defensive action.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We carry bear spray but I'll probably add a couple of cans of wasp spray some day. We've logged 34,000 miles through 34 states and >1000 nights on the road...99% in CGs... and have never once been in a situation anywhere close to calling for any defensive action.

Rick
On the other hand I have, and because I was prepared I'm NOT a statistic!! I didn't have to fire a shot but when they found out I was prepared to they left.
I hope never to have to do it again.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
If you don't like guns take a tazer. I carry a 7 round pump shotgun and when you load it everyone will back off...
AMEN
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Rick
While traveling from Trenton ME to Wells ME we stopped in Scarborough to shop at the Cabelas there, stayed the night in the Rv parking area with another Rv and some truckers, about midnight I heard someone let loose with a 12 ga. then the patter of pellets raining down on the roof. I'm positive that's what it was, found some pellets on the ground the next morning. I racked a round in mine and went out for a look see there was a trucker looking around. couldn't find anything but I was ready.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
While traveling from Trenton ME to Wells ME we stopped in Scarborough to shop at the Cabelas there, stayed the night in the Rv parking area with another Rv and some truckers, about midnight I heard someone let loose with a 12 ga. then the patter of pellets raining down on the roof. I'm positive that's what it was, found some pellets on the ground the next morning. I racked a round in mine and went out for a look see there was a trucker looking around. couldn't find anything but I was ready.
Yep, I'm sure my views (not to mention experiences) would be different if I didn't spend virtually every night in a CG. I choose not to take the chance.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
Till you come across the guy who rips the tazer darts out and keeps coming. And the guy who looks at you when you rack a round in the shotgun and laughs and keeps coming....and other than being crazy has not done anything to justify killing him.

No matter what you choose to carry, be it Mace/OC spray/wasp spray, a gun, or taser...make sure that you know how to use it and that you understand both the moral and legal implications of it's use.
I agree with you. After Nam I hope I never have to use a gun again but should it arise I'm prepared. I think everyone should be prepared to defend themselves or be a victim. If you threaten me or my family you will pay the price. The people who think nothing will happen to them are the ones I feel sorry for. It's a tough world out there today and people like us with nice rigs are always a target. Just be prepared and know what to do and when to do it...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fox Labs carries very potent pepper spray---in various sizes. I carry it as well as some Bear Spray from Cabellas in a fairly large container (I don't have it here right now or I would give you the exact number of oz's) but it is concealable. I carry it when I walk my dog in the early morning (he is very friendly) I can be a grouch if called for.

Cabellas carries a pressurized bear spray canister which is filled with water so you can practice and see really how far it projects etc;

Mine was expired according to the can (meaning I think maybe had less co2 or whatever the propellent). I set it off just to practice and because I was ordering a fresh supply----well I got a whiff and believe me it is effective----a little breeze carried the slightest bit back to me and well it works.

I carry guns but unloaded and stored (lot of good that does)---but a cannister of Bear Spray is in my car and by the door of the MH---in the very rare event I would need it----well it pays to have the right tool for the job.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #22

And be careful of spray you use. If the wind blows in your face, the spray can attack you too, making your aim rather uncomfortable and getting away a little teary eyed. A lot of that stuff works and you want good aim.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
And be careful of spray you use. If the wind blows in your face, the spray can attack you too, making your aim rather uncomfortable and getting away a little teary eyed. A lot of that stuff works and you want good aim.
X 2 Back in the LEO days every time I was around when either MACE or pepper spray was used I got it also. Usually from breeze or overspray. Had a rookie at a big fight at a night club decide to hose down the entire crowd and did - along with the uniforms trying to get it under control.
He was not very popular for several days in the squad room with several officers
Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I see too many variables with any type of spray, wind being the biggest.

I carry (emphasis on carry) a Springfield Arms .45 ACP with 14 rounds counting the one in the pipe, and a magazine with another 13. I also keep a Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge in the coach.

No one is responsible for you security other than you. The police are certainly a fine group of brave men and women but their job is to investigate crime, they have little ability to prevent it (can't be everywhere) especially with nation wide budget cuts. Hope to never use it or my fire extinguishers but I have both. Additionally I don't just own a weapon, I train and practice so I am ready.

Use what you are comfortable with, a gun in an untrained hand is not a good idea.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Let the flaming begin, I can take it.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #25

Another cosideration about guns and pepper spray is crossing the border. The custom agents might not let you bring them, but I have never been asked about wasp spray. Every time I cross they ask about guns and pepper spray.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #26

I have heard it recommended that women, especially, carry a small can (available for models) of paint, preferably red. It works as well as mace, usually, and no one will have any doubt if they spot your attacker. I wonder if a wasp spray nozzle would work on that. There are places that mace isn't legal; paint is legal everywhere.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #27

Paint will only work if you spray it directly into the eyes. All you have if you miss is a painted attacker.

Rule #1...try not to put yourself in a place or a position where you will need to protect yourself. The vast majority of victims of a violent crime are themselves involved in some type of risky behavior. (NOTE>>>I said MOST...NOT all.) Don't wander down to the ghetto to buy drugs and your chances of not being a victim rise dramatically.

Rule #2...If you choose to have some type of defense weapon know how to use it and when you can use it. You would not drive a motorhome without understanding how it handles, why would you just pick up a can of spray and not know what it does. (I see lots of comments about wasp spray. Yes, it will hurt like hell if you spray them in the eyes. But you best be damn sure that you can nail them in the eye, because if you don't you just have a (mod edit) attacker who won't get stung.)

Rule 3...don't live in fear. Alarm companies sell their product based on fear and they puff up statistics and the effectiveness of their systems. Don't buy into that.

Rule 4...Know how you will react to a threat. I love to hear big talk from people who have never faced a true threat. If you are worried about your safety take a class in personal defense. Be self confident and know your capabilities.

Rule 5...Know the law. People like to throw out the "better to be judged by 12" line...but if you go out to check a noise that you are convinced is a burglar intent on raping your wife and you confront a kid who is siphoning gas and you shoot him...rest assured you will be tried by 12 in a criminal court and tried by 12 in a civil court. The result will be ugly.

There are more things to think about but for now I will leave it at that.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Crossing into Canada

I also like to keep my protection with me, but I understand that it's impossible to carry a handgun into Canada. I'd really like to have a gun with me when I travel to Alaska, but I can't drive there without going through Canada. Besides, I want to see the Canadian scenery, so I will drive there. Can I carry a stick, or a rock? What do Canadians use for protection? Even if I don't need protection in Canada, I want it with me in Alaska, and the lower 48.
Closed Thread