Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've owned guns since I was 12 and shot then before that, I guess I'll continue to carry at least one (and probably more)!
Tend to agree, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson are great security guards for the unlikely chance of encountering those who really want to do you serious harm. For everything else, I have the wasp spray as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatters1229 View Post
We are planning a cross country trip from CA to NY and am wondering about packing some protection...not guns but something like pepper spray or mace. Anyone have an opinion or advice? We are in our mid 60's but can still take care of ourselves physically if we have to. I have never had guns around the house...last time I shot a rifle was in the Army in '67. Was pretty good but you needed to be to stay alive during the war.

Thanks
Hi!

Speaking as a person of the female persuasion who's spent a lot of time solo camping...
You're already packing your best protection, and it's between your ears!
Ordinary common sense goes a long way towards keeping one safe on the road...
Be smart about where you camp and who your neighbors are.
If you leave your "camp", don't leave stuff lying around with a "steal this" sign on it.
Do make it look as if you'll be right back, though!
Thieves don't like to be "caught in the act".
If you're the slightest bit uneasy about a location/situation, trust your instincts and move on.
That's why you have wheels, right?
Most crimes are those of opportunity- RVers on the road aren't a favorite target of criminal elements.
They prefer more predictable targets.

PLUS, as you can see from a lot of the responses here, RVers have a reputation for Going Armed.

Now get out there and have fun!

Francesca

Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatters1229
We are planning a cross country trip from CA to NY and am wondering about packing some protection...not guns but something like pepper spray or mace. Anyone have an opinion or advice? We are in our mid 60's but can still take care of ourselves physically if we have to. I have never had guns around the house...last time I shot a rifle was in the Army in '67. Was pretty good but you needed to be to stay alive during the war.

Thanks
When traveling through Canada you can transport certain long guns. I travel with a shotgun. You must declare it at the border and pay a $25.00 registration fee which is good for 2 months. Simple process with no hassles.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
PLUS, as you can see from a lot of the responses here, RVers have a reputation for Going Armed.

Francesca

No kidding. I've only been RVing for four years and often times old friends ask me questions about the need for being armed while on the road. I explain my position but always conclude by telling them that someone would have to be out of their mind to think someone in an RV would be an easy mark! We have got to be one of the most heavily armed demographics in the country with a huge percentage being combat trained veterans. Woe be unto the idiot evil doer who thinks a little gray hair means easy money.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes!

That's what I love about it!
I always think that any "bad guys" would just presume that surely an Attractive Woman Like Me
that's traveling alone
would be armed to the very gunnels...

I'm protected by Smith and Wesson, and I don't even have one!

Life is good

Francesca
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #34

I vote for the wasp spray. From what I've been told, it is more than effective at stopping a man.
We also have the Doberman, any one who comes to the door, knows she's there!
The best deterent is to be aware of your surroundings, and only stay at places that are repitable. We used to park in rest areas, but not anymore.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943
I also like to keep my protection with me, but I understand that it's impossible to carry a handgun into Canada. I'd really like to have a gun with me when I travel to Alaska, but I can't drive there without going through Canada. Besides, I want to see the Canadian scenery, so I will drive there. Can I carry a stick, or a rock? What do Canadians use for protection? Even if I don't need protection in Canada, I want it with me in Alaska, and the lower 48.
What do Canadians use for protection?
This Canadian uses nothing while in Canada but I will admit to being a bit concerned when traveling for the first time in United States last April.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with you. I too am a female rather senior (67) and with a heart condition I could put up fight for.... oh a minute or two! So I use what is called situational awareness, know your surroundings and at the first sign of "things ain't right" get out of there and keep going to you get to a safe place. Trust no one, feel sorry for no one keep alert don't daydream or pass off a bad feeling ... move to a safer place or get fortified in your rig. Dog spray will give you a few seconds to get away from an assailant then use it to get to a safe place.
When you get that feeling that things don't look safe or the hair on the back of your neck stands up GET OUT OF THERE ! I keep the spray handy and have little .25 pistol handy if someone breaks into the rig while I am in it then I'll take my chances with the law and lawyers. I hope it doesn't come to that I have been in all the western states and six of the eastern states and no trouble....YET! But I have moved when I didn't like what I saw or felt.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
You said a mouthful, Sister!

Francesca
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
When traveling through Canada you can transport certain long guns. I travel with a shotgun. You must declare it at the border and pay a $25.00 registration fee which is good for 2 months. Simple process with no hassles.
Also, don't say it's for "protection" that's not legal there. You have to have a "hunting" purpose. In fact I have two long barreled 12 GA that I have for just that purpose.
They're NOT 18" barreled, with handgrip either. I know that isn't welcome there at least till they get rid of the "steal me" long gun registration they now have up there.
Also, don't have a TX license or NRA stickers on your vehicle, that's an invitation for a VERY thorough search at the border.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
What do Canadians use for protection?
This Canadian uses nothing while in Canada but I will admit to being a bit concerned when traveling for the first time in United States last April.
Why? Our crime rate is lower than Canada or Great Britain. In fact New York's crime rate is lower than London's
Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
I can't help but notice that we seem to have lost the Original Poster...

We haven't heard from ol' "Wpatters" since the question was posted!

He did say he was interested in ideas other than guns, and I hope he's gotten answers he can use!

How about it, "W"?
Are you still with us?

Talk to us, "W"!

Francesca
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My concerns were based on my impressions of what I have read relating to Rving and guns on other threads.
But had a great time while in the States and won't hesitate to travel in your county again.
May buy wasp spray just in case I step on a nest of yellow jacket wasps again.
Did that once when I was nine not fun
Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #42

I don't know if he is still with you But i sure learned a lot about security on the road,i have a 44 ss ruger redhawk that i carry at times but i am thinking of trading for a S/W 10 mm. i also like the idea of the wasp spray, would that also work on Bears? Anybody want to try it out on bears and get back to us.