Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
Till you come across the guy who rips the tazer darts out and keeps coming. And the guy who looks at you when you rack a round in the shotgun and laughs and keeps coming....and other than being crazy has not done anything to justify killing him.

No matter what you choose to carry, be it Mace/OC spray/wasp spray, a gun, or taser...make sure that you know how to use it and that you understand both the moral and legal implications of it's use.
X2 on that last part. By far the most important.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
We go with the "Warning, Bad Dog" sign in the window by the door and a can of mace. I have been giving some consideration to getting one of the bear mace cans. They are good to 20' or so. The odds of you ever having to use any of this are extremely low. I don't ever remember reading about someone having to defend their RV with force. Never overnight where you do not feel safe.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
We go with the "Warning, Bad Dog" sign in the window by the door and a can of mace. I have been giving some consideration to getting one of the bear mace cans. They are good to 20' or so. The odds of you ever having to use any of this are extremely low. I don't ever remember reading about someone having to defend their RV with force. Never overnight where you do not feel safe.
RV Owners Sue Wal-Mart Over 06 Shooting | RV Business
Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I think the mace would have probably done the trick. Keeping your door locked and calling 911 is a better idea.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
An interesting cautionary tale, that one, for those concerned about the possibility of overreacting/ misreading a threat level.
A dangerous thing to do with a gun in one's hands.
That incident is widely believed to have been caused by the RV owner's failure to take the kind of ordinary precautions about strangers that most of us take for granted.
There's also considerable doubt about the level of threat involved, but since the only non-family witness is dead as a doornail, the family's version of events was accepted by the authorities.
The "mental anguish" that Walmart is being accused of causing more likely arises from somebody's guilty conscience.

Francesca
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
An interesting cautionary tale, that one, for those concerned about the possibility of overreacting/ misreading a threat level.
A dangerous thing to do with a gun in one's hands.
That incident is widely believed to have been caused by the RV owner's failure to take the kind of ordinary precautions about strangers that most of us take for granted.
There's also considerable doubt about the level of threat involved, but since the only non-family witness is dead as a doornail, the family's version of events was accepted by the authorities.
The "mental anguish" that Walmart is being accused of causing more likely arises from somebody's guilty conscience.

Francesca
Lukeaa said he hadn't heard of anything like this...just thought I'd point out it does. And as with all incidents like this, the person with the gun is second guessed to no end. I personally won't do that, it just seems too easy.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
I read the article, then the comments. I was both appalled and angered by most of the comments. A family was threatened and a man lost his life (justifiable or not) and their primary concern was they lose the free parking at Walmart.

It saddens me to know that people like that exist.

I pass no judgement on the father defending his family not the alleged bad guy as I wasn't there and rarely take the media's facts as gospel.

As far as the law suit goes, not sure Walmart has the obligation to protect you when you choose to park for free.

Just seems like the comments (to the news article) demonstrate the ME generation is taking over our society. A man died and now I wont be able to park for free.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #50
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
paint is legal everywhere.
Legal to buy, but only if you are over 18

FYI... if you are in bear country, buy BEAR SPRAY. Mace won't stop one.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
kayjulia: be aware that the .25 is undoubtedly the worst caliber ever. .22 lr is better. the .25 will just p!ss them off if they don't back down. go at least .380 for semi-auto. .38 special if revolver.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #52

If I was worried eough that I had to ask about protection......I wouldnt go.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A few thoughts on carry a gun, if it's not for you thats fine:
Never use a gun to threaten, only take it out of the holster if you intend to shoot. If you shoot shoot to kill, never fire a warning shot. Warning shots and and shooting to wound will only land you in court. If you are in fear for you life (the only time lethal force is authorized in several states), warning shots and less than lethal shots prove you were not in fear for you life.

Keep you hand on your gun, tell the bad guy to stay away, keep him at a safe distance as he plays out his sob story for you, bad guys often use this technique to get close to you in a public place (gas station, ATM, parking lot, etc..) Use a stern and commanding voice to keep him at a safe distance, if crosses that line tell him if continues to advance you will shoot. If he continues to advance beyond that point he intends to do you harm, draw and fire.

Regardless of how a bad guy gains entrance he is in the wrong, unless you invite him in for the purpose of shooting him. Lethal force is not generally authorized for a situation you create.

On caliber, buy the largest caliber you can accurately use. Most anything under .38 will only piss them off.

If you choose to buy a gun, practice with it regularly. If you are not willing to become proficient in it's use then save your money.

Carry legally. Take the class and apply for the permit. Then practice often. If you live in a state that doesn't require a permit to carry concealed (AK and VT) take the class anyway and then practice.

Learn the meaning and technique of double tap.

Face facts we live in a ever changing world and accept the responsibility to not be a victim, it's your choice.

Understand the grave responsibility that comes from owning and carry a gun.

I carry everywhere I go as long as it's legal to do so. Why, it's the responsible thing to do. My safety is my responsibility. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I have no desire to take the life of another but I will not let him take mine.

Because we by nature cross many state lines be sure to know what states have reciprocity with the state that issued you permit.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I bought a can of wasp spray... good for 25'.

I also have this sign next to my door:

If that doesn't deter them, then they can deal with STAR!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
I bought a can of wasp spray... good for 25'.

I also have this sign next to my door:

If that doesn't deter them, then they can deal with STAR!

Star looks viscous, is he? I have 2 dogs. Oliver is the bigger and more viscous looking one but if you pet him he will be your friend for life, if he had opposing thumbs the burglar could get him to help carry my stuff out.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
I think the mace would have probably done the trick. Keeping your door locked and calling 911 is a better idea.
By the time 911 dispatches someone, you could be dead and the perp long gone...

liz