Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Several have mentioned situational awareness instead of some method of protection. That is great advice. A book "A Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker is a great read on that subject. He is a strong advocate of allowing your natural instincts to guide you rather than over-ruling them. While some situations appear out of nowhere, more often there were warning signs in advance if they were noticed and heeded.

Is anyone aware of a specific example of where wasp spray worked? While it sounds like it could work, there are several factors including wind which could prevent it from being effective. The objective in any defensive situation is to stop the threat. Some intent on harm are so hopped up on drugs that even tasers don't deter them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Several have mentioned situational awareness instead of some method of protection. That is great advice. A book "A Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker is a great read on that subject. He is a strong advocate of allowing your natural instincts to guide you rather than over-ruling them. While some situations appear out of nowhere, more often there were warning signs in advance if they were noticed and heeded.

Is anyone aware of a specific example of where wasp spray worked? While it sounds like it could work, there are several factors including wind which could prevent it from being effective. The objective in any defensive situation is to stop the threat. Some intent on harm are so hopped up on drugs that even tasers don't deter them.
I agree situational awareness is of paramount importance, additionally I would add, don't look like a victim. Thugs like wolfs prey on those that look weak.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #59

If you want a really pissed off bear. Wasp spray will HAVE to go directly into the eyes to have any effect at all. Bear spray, which is just a higher concentration of the OC spray that most police departments issue also needs to go into the eyes, but it has enough irritant in it that it can also have some effect when just in the air or on the body.

As for crime stats...don't believe all that you read in them. They are grossly manipulated.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #60

A Flare Gun is useful in getting attention if you have a problem on a desolate road at night (and will really make someone's life brighter).
Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #61

Wasp spray or bear spray would be a good non lethal choice. One other thing to consider would be a hand gun or shot gun with a laser sight, there is just something about that little red dot shining that will change most people mind. Even if you just woke up and didnt have time to put on your glasses you can still see the red dot and so can the person causing your concern!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
Wasp spray or bear spray would be a good non lethal choice. One other thing to consider would be a hand gun or shot gun with a laser sight, there is just something about that little red dot shining that will change most people mind. Even if you just woke up and didnt have time to put on your glasses you can still see the red dot and so can the person causing your concern!
I have the TLR2 mounted on Shotgun, AR15, and both pistols, the last one is the TLR2S, the strobe effect is very disorienting. 135 lumens whit light with red dot laser.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Gunman, 2 others dead in IHOP attack | NevadaAppeal.com

Doesn't sound like a bad part of town, especially in day light. Sometimes you never know. Would the outcome have been different had the patrons been prepared to defend themselves?

3 of the 8 shot are dead at last count.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #64

Forest River Owners Club
I carry the taurs judge when we're out.. 410 home defence rounds. 3 disk plus 12 bb's in each round. I keep those, bird shot .00- buck and 45 rounds. Owned guns all my life and this is the best gun for me.. Most gun fights are within 10' anyway, right?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere View Post
I carry the taurs judge when we're out.. 410 home defence rounds. 3 disk plus 12 bb's in each round. I keep those, bird shot .00- buck and 45 rounds. Owned guns all my life and this is the best gun for me.. Most gun fights are within 10' anyway, right?
Within that range

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #66

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wasp spray is good and it is legal. Plus many claim 30 ft reach. statics say most confrontations take place at less than 7 to 15 feet. We carry a Tarus Judge pistol with 3 inch 410's or 45. It is big to carry concealed but it works in the coach for ease of use. Not big like a shotgun but has the same effect with 3 in 410's.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Wasp spray is good and it is legal. Plus many claim 30 ft reach. statics say most confrontations take place at less than 7 to 15 feet. We carry a Tarus Judge pistol with 3 inch 410's or 45. It is big to carry concealed but it works in the coach for ease of use. Not big like a shotgun but has the same effect with 3 in 410's.
The shooter in Carson had a rifle, doubt any spray other than fire hose or flame thrower would have effectively reached the shooter. Sprays are for attackers that are not shooting at you. Muggers and the like.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatters1229 View Post
We are planning a cross country trip from CA to NY and am wondering about packing some protection...not guns but something like pepper spray or mace.
Thanks
NEWS FLASH!:

Irrelevant though the Pancake House Shootings may be to the O.P.'s question, here's a heads-up for those interested!
There's already a thread discussion on that subject here at:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/yes-i...tml#post950771
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #69

I have actually killed real wasp at 20 feet or so. It comes our in a stream and you can "walk" in right to the target. If I was going to rearm, the Judge would be my first choice. I have a Mossburg 500 with an 18" barrel and a changeable pistol grip or stock I keep in the coach. I also have a Kel-Tec 380 auto for the truck. I have never even been close to thinking I might need them. If I had been in that IHOP, I would have shot the nut 6 times (or died trying or both).
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #70

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
May buy wasp spray just in case I step on a nest of yellow jacket wasps again.
Did that once when I was nine not fun
I almost did that many years ago while surveying for I-205 in WA state. First two in survey party passed over them, when I got there they were buzzing and starting to fly around. I made tracks the other way!!
Closed Thread