Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
The vast majority of police officers in the US go through a career without ever having to shoot someone. The way some folks make it sound an Rv'er comes upon a deadly force situation a couple of times a day. The boogyman surrounds us. (yes, it can happen, but with nowhere near the frequency some want to believe.)
I don't get "some folks make it sound an RV'er comes upon a deadly force situation a couple of times a day" or "...but nowhere near the frequency some want to believe."

Being aware that there are evil people in the world and being at least somewhat prepared to deal with them is no different than having vehicle insurance or homeowners' insurance or an evacuation plan.

liz

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #86

iRV2 No Limits Club
Pepper spray is legal in all States but many have restrictions, mostly the size of the container (at least one has licensing requirements). Check here to see what is legal in what State. Some kinds of bear spray is illegal in some States or is restricted to where you can carry it.

I carried pepper spray for over fifteen years without ever feeling a need for it. I no longer carry it and do not miss it. I prefer to avoid getting myself into situations where I may need a weapon. That doesn't mean paranoia; just good sense.

While wasp spray may seem like a good idea, I do not recommend it. At least one kind I know of works by freezing the critter until the poison kicks in. That kind would very likely do permanent damage to someone's eyes, up to and including blindness. That would almost certainly result in a lawsuit. Then there are possible legal ramifications for misusing the product.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For protection on the road, my personel choice is Trojan Enze, Magnums of course !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I prefer to avoid getting myself into situations where I may need a weapon. That doesn't mean paranoia; just good sense.
There's no place where you're 100% safe. How do you avoid a home invasion or a rampage in a public place? You're not always in control of the situation. Sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with sense, good or otherwise.

liz
Old 09-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
It's unlikely you will ever be in a lethal force situation. My posts were directed at simply being prepared.
I have a fire extinguisher, umbrella, 5 medical bags complete with O2 and AED (I'm an EMT), raincoat and arctic gear in every vehicle. Hope to never need any of that stuff but I am prepared. View my weapons in the same way.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #90

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
There's no place where you're 100% safe. How do you avoid a home invasion or a rampage in a public place? You're not always in control of the situation. Sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with sense, good or otherwise.

liz
Push come to shove, I have my purse. It is so heavy, I had to register it as a lethal weapon.

All seriousness aside, the chances of becoming a victim in those situations are almost nil. Most people are in far more danger of being urt or killed in an automobile accident. Of those who are victimized by robbery, attack, etc., most gave the impression of being victims. Most home invasions are done to people who appear vulnerable or managed to anger someone.

Being alert to one's surroundings, using that oxymoron called common sense, and appearing confident will go a long way toward keeping one out of trouble. Having a weapon will not keep anyone out of trouble. If one needs a weapon, one is already in trouble (this is not a condemnation of those who do have weapons for self defense).
Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #91

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Just remember if you ever have to shoot some scum bag you'll soon learn that this character has a ton of relatives and friends that want in your wallet and you have a 100% chance they will sue your royal a** in civil court. And you always loose there even when you win because your lawyer will tap you on the shoulder and say " that will be 30.000 dollars please, Now you can make payments if you like or write me a check or a credit card will be fine" Shooting someone even though justified always has consequenses.
Given the choice of paying a lawyer or dieing at the hands of said scumbag, I'll take the lawyer bill every time.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #92

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
The vast majority of police officers in the US go through a career without ever having to shoot someone.
And the vast majority of criminals avoid challenging armed and trained police officers, opting instead for softer, unarmed, wealthier targets.

Quote:
The way some folks make it sound an Rv'er comes upon a deadly force situation a couple of times a day.
I have never once found myself in the situation where I had to shoot someone, or even threaten to shoot someone. If that day ever comes, I will be prepared to defend myself. My hope is that people intent on doing me harm will see the warning labels on my coach and choose a softer target.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #93

Liz I don't know what you don't get. The chances of the average person being involved in a situation where they could have to use serious force, let alone deadly force, is virtually nil. It very rarely happens.

I said be prepared. If you are going to have a gun, OC spray, wasp spray, whatever, you need to know how to use it, when to use it and when not to use it. Being prepared means knowing your weapon, your capabilities and your limitations. It also means understanding the law that applies.

Many people sound off with an answer that makes it sound simple ("Look at me, I carry a .44 magnum, just like Clint! It is powerful, it will scare anyone!") And while I realize that this is the internet, that is just an oversimplification. As an example...idiot breaks into someone's home. Homeowner is reasonably in fear for his life and fires two shots at the burglar. The burglar is so scared that he wets himself and gives up. But where did those shots that were fired go? Into the kid's bedroom striking the sleeping kid? Into a neighbors house?

These are things that you HAVE to think about before you use force, even when you are in fear for your own life. It is part of being prepared.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #94

It seems that trying to share a little bit of knowledge, giving folks something to think about when it comes to use of force is pointless.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #95

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
It seems that trying to share a little bit of knowledge, giving folks something to think about when it comes to use of force is pointless.

I said be prepared. If you are going to have a gun, OC spray, wasp spray, whatever, you need to know how to use it, when to use it and when not to use it. Being prepared means knowing your weapon, your capabilities and your limitations. It also means understanding the law that applies.

Many people sound off with an answer that makes it sound simple ("Look at me, I carry a .44 magnum, just like Clint! It is powerful, it will scare anyone!") And while I realize that this is the internet, that is just an oversimplification. As an example...idiot breaks into someone's home. Homeowner is reasonably in fear for his life and fires two shots at the burglar. The burglar is so scared that he wets himself and gives up. But where did those shots that were fired go? Into the kid's bedroom striking the sleeping kid? Into a neighbors house?

These are things that you HAVE to think about before you use force, even when you are in fear for your own life. It is part of being prepared.
Sounds to me like your advice is good. Rambo exists only in a movie. The vast majority of people who are killed with firearms are killed by a family member or with their own household firearm. IE a child finding a loaded firearm in the house and accidentally firing it to kill/wound somebody in the household. Strangers killing strangers is very rare.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #96

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
The vast majority of people who are killed with firearms are killed by a family member or with their own household firearm. IE a child finding a loaded firearm in the house and accidentally firing it to kill/wound somebody in the household. Strangers killing strangers is very rare.
Totally false!

I don't expect you'll look at the page in this link but it refutes what you think complete with the cites to the data.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #97

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Liz I don't know what you don't get. The chances of the average person being involved in a situation where they could have to use serious force, let alone deadly force, is virtually nil. It very rarely happens.
Actually it happens over 2 MILLION times a year and that it probably low since most people don't report it. I didn't when it happened to me
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #98

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Totally FALSE!
Source? Link?

"There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths."

Sorry about the old statistics but 2 million per year?

See

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/ficap/reso.../monograph.pdf

Closed Thread