Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Just be aware that with any spray, the least amount of wind blowing in your direction will get you too!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Speaking of "Airborne Protection"...

I'd like to say that I once cleared a very substantial perimeter around my camp by the simple though completely unplanned expedient of opening a gallon jar of my favorite condiment:

That stuff can kill a man at 50 yards by the smell alone...

Francesca
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #73
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have several options including Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. But I prefer my S&W model 29 44mag with an 8.5"barrel.

I opt for the intimidation. Holding a can of wasp spray is not intimidating and I am more likely to be forced to use the spray when an assailant would backdown from a small cannon. And if I spray an attacker with poison they will probably turn around and sue me.

My first priority is to avoid conflicts and bad situations.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #74
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Speaking of "Airborne Protection"...

I'd like to say that I once cleared a very substantial perimeter around my camp by the simple though completely unplanned expedient of opening a gallon jar of my favorite condiment:

That stuff can kill a man at 50 yards by the smell alone...

Francesca
Put that in an M203...

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 09-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #75

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
Till you come across the guy who rips the tazer darts out and keeps coming. And the guy who looks at you when you rack a round in the shotgun and laughs and keeps coming....and other than being crazy has not done anything to justify killing him.
Sorry, but if someone is coming at me in such a way as to cause me to raise my weapon, and he continues to come at me after I tell him to stop, he is doing something to justify me shooting him. Thankfully, I have never met anyone while RVing that fits this description.

Jim
Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #76

Make your choice. Do what you feel you have to do. Be prepared to live with the consequences.
My point through all of my posts is that you need to think about what you are doing. There tends to be lots of big talk from people but I don't think many of them have really thought about what a use of force entails.

Be prepared. Be ready. But being prepared means lots more than just having the biggest baddest gun out there.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i always have my kel-tec .380 close by. would love to get the Judge. .45 LC first, then the home defense shot shell. the kimchi is very powerful too. before and after eating!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #78

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
another vote for wasp spray. and if your in a real bind, flick your bic when you spray it. flame thrower on a budget. Kinda neat the things one learns in the Army.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #79

Just remember if you ever have to shoot some scum bag you'll soon learn that this character has a ton of relatives and friends that want in your wallet and you have a 100% chance they will sue your royal a** in civil court. And you always loose there even when you win because your lawyer will tap you on the shoulder and say " that will be 30.000 dollars please, Now you can make payments if you like or write me a check or a credit card will be fine" Shooting someone even though justified always has consequenses.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Just remember if you ever have to shoot some scum bag you'll soon learn that this character has a ton of relatives and friends that want in your wallet and you have a 100% chance they will sue your royal a** in civil court. And you always loose there even when you win because your lawyer will tap you on the shoulder and say " that will be 30.000 dollars please, Now you can make payments if you like or write me a check or a credit card will be fine" Shooting someone even though justified always has consequenses.
Many of the new Castle Doctrine laws prevent civil suits. Check your state laws.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Many of the new Castle Doctrine laws prevent civil suits. Check your state laws.
I once had a lawyer tell me if you have enough money you can sue anybody for anything.. I believe him.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Better to be dealing with a lawsuit than be dead....
Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Better to be dealing with a lawsuit than be dead....
Somehow I knew that one was coming it always does. Yea I know better to be tried by twelve then carried by six...etc etc....
Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #84

Sdennislee cites the Castle doctrines. Anyone in this conversation should read through those as they cover many of the legal issues involved in use of force.

A couple of points to note....they don't mean someone cannot sue you in a state court. Someone may still file a suit and your lawyer has to prove to the court that, under Castle, you are protected and cannot be sued. The court may very well toss out the suit. That will still cost you a ton of $$.
Federal court is a whole nother monkey. Suits there usually fall under a violation of civil rights statute. While the state law may be of some help in your defense...it is not an end all.

Also note when you are protected under this law.

I firmly believe in the right to self defense. But if you are going to be armed you best understand your rights and responsibilities under the law.

The vast majority of police officers in the US go through a career without ever having to shoot someone. The way some folks make it sound an Rv'er comes upon a deadly force situation a couple of times a day. The boogyman surrounds us. (yes, it can happen, but with nowhere near the frequency some want to believe.)
Closed Thread