Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Keep in mind, only about 1%-3% of the RV population participate in these forums. Of that small percentage, a large percentage come here to complain, so you don't get a realistic view of problems with the industry.

There are also extremes on here....I believe that occasionally someone will get a lemon and there are others who feel for the money they spent, they aren't going to tighten a screw, but would rather drive it back to the dealer and have them do it and then complain about it.
I agree, I would rather fix something simple myself than to leave my MH in a shop for any length of time. The only things I would consider taking it in for would be a high cost item or something I had neither the knowledge or tools to handle.

We met a couple who had a new MH and they were so upset that there were loose screws and a few things that needed attention. I helped the guy fix about 10 things they were worried about in less than an hour, and other things they just weren't using right. They also thought for the money they paid they shouldn't have had these problems, and maybe so, but the fix was much easier than the amount of worry they put into it or a trip to the dealer.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
It has been said that the dealers want motorhomes with 4-5 TVs, outside entertainment systems, 4 slides, and lots of glitz. The letters section of the February 2015 issue of MotorHome magazine raised the question: Do motorhome buyers want amenities or quality? The overwhelming response, motorhome buyers want quality.

Look at the Class A gas coaches under 34 feet. For the most part they are all full of cheap materials, poor construction, and they look it. They sell for $100 - 225,000.

Our 2003 Monaco Trek has solid wood cabinets, all the equipment that a large, premium coach would have. It is a premium, quality coach. Monaco won't build it again. And yet buyers snap them up as soon as they come on the market. Probably would be in the $170 - 190,000 price range now. Go figure?

Al Z
2003 Monaco Safari Trek 2810
Coos Bay, Oregon
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #17
It seems to me that glitz is taking the place of quality for what owners want in reading these forums. The manufacturers wouldn't build the glitzy stuff if there weren't buyers.

There are always posts of folks looking for many slides for a bigger ballroom and a television for every room and outside and 1-1/2 baths and now some mfg. are going to 2 full baths!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #18
FWIW I think there is a core of vocal folks writing articles that sell the glitz. The sales folks love it because they can point to it. OTOH I have talked to more folks who are less interested in the ball room size living room than they are in solid walls and less weight.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It seems to me that glitz is taking the place of quality for what owners want in reading these forums. The manufacturers wouldn't build the glitzy stuff if there weren't buyers.

There are always posts of folks looking for many slides for a bigger ballroom and a television for every room and outside and 1-1/2 baths and now some mfg. are going to 2 full baths!

From my observation at our dealership, this is dead on. We just had a customer want us to add 4 Directv receivers in a 32 foot towable. So much for doing things together.

Outside kitchens, multiple tv's, changing color LED strips, the list goes on. Of course, they want it all in a certain price range. Something has to give, and it's usually quality.
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #20
Alpine Owners Club
Quality is designed in, not inspected in. If the manufacturers would look at what they spend in warranty repair (never mind what we the owners spend) they would take the time and $$$ to do it right the first time. It is always less expensive. And while we are on this subject, I think it should be a mandatory prerequisite for the RV designers to live in a unit for 1 year before they can start designing. JMHO.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote