Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Consider what you are buying it for. When I bought my last TT before the MH. I bought an inexpensive contractor model like those at harbor freight. Was very loud and sucked a valve the 2nd or 3rd time out. I ended up with the Yamaha EF2400 and still have it. It ran the AC in the TT and fit nicely into the back of the truck. The MH has a Generator but I still take the Yamaha when dry camping in the winter when the AC is not needed because it is quite and uses much less fuel than the one in the MH. If I were to do it today, I would buy a 1000W model for the size, reduced fuel and less noise for powering things like the charger, microwave, TV's, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I know many people really don't care what their neighbors think but please, please, please... buy a quiet generator.

Currently in the same canyon as a guy with a Yamaha construction generator and I fear that the rocks on the hillsides are going to come tumbling down due to all the racket.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I know many people really don't care what their neighbors think but please, please, please... buy a quiet generator.

Currently in the same canyon as a guy with a Yamaha construction generator and I fear that the rocks on the hillsides are going to come tumbling down due to all the racket.
You are not at the top of the canyon leaning on the rocks are you?
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
If you buy one of the noisey brands/models, some campgrounds have regs and they will ask you to shut it down or leave. When talking about generators they all have contractor models that aren't particularly quiet. Most of the inverter models are much quieter. So make sure you compare apples to apples. I had a Cummins P3200 that my son-in-law finally inherited. I don't know if they still make them- it had a lot of nice features like hour meter, hz gauge, voltmeter. Can't go wrong with Honda, Yamaha and they hold their value for when you are done with them. The chinese models are mainly disposable and luck of the draw.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:14 AM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know people like to get a deal, but you can't beat the Honda or Yamaha generator. The comparison of the 3000 watt Champion to the 3000 watt Honda, is a little deceiving. The Champion claims 58 decibels. The Honda claims 49 decibels at 1/4 throttle and 58 at WOT. The Champion doesn't say what throttle position it's at when producing 58 decibels, which is a lot.

Last year, Honda didn't show up at the big tent, they're usually right near the gate on the front row. I believe the Yamahas were there. I haven't seen Kipors there in years.

I certainly wouldn't buy a generator at Quartzsite due to the sales tax.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was at a campground with a small group of other amateur radio operators. They were using a Harbor Freight gennie, and it sounded like an old lawnmower. I asked the owner how old it was, and he said he'd only owned it for a couple of months. It was about twenty feet from my campsite, but it was so loud it kept me from sleeping.

I pulled out one of my Honda 2000's, switched the power for the radios to my gennie, and shut the other one off. All of a sudden, the two folks at the radios were smiling, waving, and thanking me. The noise level on receive on their radios had gone down dramatically and they could also hear weaker signals better now that the gennie being used was quieter. I even had it tucked under the back of my trailer, and I could finally sleep due to lower volume noise.

I had an external gas tank rigged to that generator, and we made many pots of coffee, made about a thousand contacts all over North America, and we all slept fine.

If you want to be a good neighbor, you'll find out how the marketing department measured the noise level of their product and use that as a pretty important part of your decision fir which gennie to buy.

I will say this much about the Hondas, they are not made for a clean and easy oil change. Other than that, I have no complaints whatsoever.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:28 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I certainly wouldn't buy a generator at Quartzsite due to the sales tax.
If I understand the sales tax scheme in AZ, buy solar equipment there, as there will be no sales tax. Pay as much as 10% sales tax for a generator unless you find a good used one from a private party.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #22

Couple of things. First, on the Honda oil changes, there are several people on Ebay who sell a little extender tube for oil changes. Just screw it in, tip your generator, and the oil drains out away from your generator housing, so mess, no fuss.

Any of these little generators, purchase an inexpensive inductive hour meter (under $10.00) and use it to schedule your maintenance.

Last, comparing noise levels are very important. Noise is measured in decibels. The amount of noise DOUBLES every SEVEN decibels. Example. A generator that generates 49 decibels is TWICE as loud as one that generates 42 decibels. It's a little misleading. People think, oh, my generator is just a LITTLE louder at 49 decibels!

Variables when comparing decibels:
running at what percentage of load? I've seen 25%, 50% 60% and 100% quoted in advertising literature.

Distance from generator. I've seen no distance specified, 24 feet, and 40 feet.

Make sure you are comparing apples with apples!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
First, on the Honda oil changes, there are several people on Ebay who sell a little extender tube for oil changes. Just screw it in, tip your generator, and the oil drains out away from your generator housing, so mess, no fuss.
I'm sure they must be great little items, as I have one, but I can't find it!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef2006 View Post
I was hoping to hear good things about Champion ever since I saw this great price on Costco's website... 3000w for $800 and the noise level is same as the Honda.
Champion 2,800W Running / 3,100W Peak Digital Inverter Gas Generator (CARB-50 State compliant)
I run a campground and we are from time to time without electric. I have several generators from honda, ridgid, and champion. I found an outlet for champion here in the LA area that takes all the returns from Costco. These are units that were returned for any number of reasons. They sell these returns for less than what costco sells them for. I just bought two of the bigger units. One 9370 max watts and one dual fuel 9300 watts max. $425 each. Both with zero hours. Over $700 at costco. The bigger gensets are just as reliable as any of the others.
Super Gen Products West
120 S. Irwindale Ave. Unit G
Azusa, Ca. 91702
626-414-4850
supergenproducts.com

They also have a store in New York.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #25

I just read today that Costco is going to have the Honda 2000's for less than $900.00 apiece. Soon as I post this I'm going to check it out.

edit: nope, didn't see them, but maybe give them a few days.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #26

Well after all the great advice and glowing Honda reviews I found a pretty good deal. I got mine on Electric Generator Depot for $859 tax free and shipping free. Then it gets better...at checkout they gave me the option of paying with my Amazon account credit card where Discover gives me 5% cash rewards credit on Amazon purchases until the end of December. So my final cost was very close to $800 out the door and I got it in 2 days!! Merry Christmas! Thanks for all the input.

Chef
Old 12-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only theft I ever saw while RVing was in a RV park in Utah where a guy had a small generator sitting in front of his fifth wheel. His wife was on an oxygen machine so he had the generator for back up in case of power failure.

He didn't have it chained to his rig and one night while we were there somebody stole it. So lock that baby up.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef2006 View Post
Well after all the great advice and glowing Honda reviews I found a pretty good deal. I got mine on Electric Generator Depot for $859 tax free and shipping free. Then it gets better...at checkout they gave me the option of paying with my Amazon account credit card where Discover gives me 5% cash rewards credit on Amazon purchases until the end of December. So my final cost was very close to $800 out the door and I got it in 2 days!! Merry Christmas! Thanks for all the input.

Chef

Yep, I posted earlier re/ electric generator depot.

Electric Generator Depot - Honda 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator - EU2000i (50 state model)

I purchased both the 2000i and the 2000ic, Price has gone down by $40.00 since I purchased. Plus, free shipping, took about 8 days. And I saved the 6% sales tax (another $50.00 plus in savings). Win Win in my book!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, purchase, quartzsite