RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #1

Purchase in fall?

I have the cash to buy the RV now but my DH says to wait until fall for a better price. I am buying used and looking at either a TT or 5vr.

Is the price better in the fall vs summer?

WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

I'm no expert but from what I see you can negotiate the same price just about anytime. Let them know you are ready to but and shoot them an offer equal to the lowest price you find on RV Trader or similar sites. Don't tell them you want to pay cash. They make $ on financing you. They will reject your offer most likely. Make sure they have you phone number and tell them you are going to lunch to think about it. You probably will get a phone call. If not re engage in a couple of days. Remember they want to make a sale as much as you want to make a purchase.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #3

One thing to think about. Buying an RV is not like buying a car. New models of cars come out at the end of summer. RV new models come out in January to March, sometimes even in summer as a year later. So there is no benefit to waiting for a good price. Ours listed for 98000 and we got it for 54000 and that we in late spring. Just food for thought.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Cash talks...make a offer. Be prepared to walk away. They'll come running after you. Dealers are hungry. We bought a used Artic Fox. Talked the down 10k. They were asking 35k we had 25k. Then two years later we traded it in and they gave us 25k trade in. Good luck
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGal View Post
I have the cash to buy the RV now but my DH says to wait until fall for a better price. I am buying used and looking at either a TT or 5vr.

Is the price better in the fall vs summer?
There is a definite busy season and an off season with rvs. Just like boats. There are inventory clearances before the new models come out. Or just before the dealer orders new stock for the RV shows. There are exra deals on new old stock also. Rigs that hve sat on the dealers lot more than 60 days will start to cost the dealer financing money so they are really wanting to move those.

During the summer if the salesman does not like your offer the will think "There is another sale walking through the door any second. During the off season there is less traffic and less sales potential and will have to deal with you more.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:02 AM   #6

I am sorry, I should have made it clear that we are looking at private sales, not through a dealer.

I am hoping there will be more on the market in the fall and less people looking. Supply and demand to force the price down.
WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 AM   #7

For used private party fall is better than spring.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #8

When you find the right RV for you, buy it. Good used RV's do not last long, assuming they are priced appropriately. Cash talks best of all. The time of the year does not really matter.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #9

Just sold a trailer, private sale, in upstate NY. I was not in a hurry to sell. Actually started the process in mid August. Priced with a good amount of wiggle room. Had 3 interested parties in 2 weeks that all fizzled out. Now it was October, so I dropped my price 2 grand. Didn't sell so I winterized it and parked it for the winter. Started advertising it again in mid April. Next to nothing for interested parties, until the weather broke big time. Sunshine, temps in the 50's and 60's. Five interested parties in one week. Ended up selling it for a grand more than my late October price. If you are in Wyoming(?) you too may find you can get a better deal just before the start of a long, cold winter.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
When you find the right RV for you, buy it. Good used RV's do not last long, assuming they are priced appropriately. Cash talks best of all. The time of the year does not really matter.

This is a basic truth. We decided to get back into RVing even though my wife is in a wheelchair. Saw a Newmar with a wheelchair ramp and handicap features. Started looking and found a preowned for private sale. Before I could make on offer, it was gone. Then we found another and told the guy we would take it and would be there within two days to see it. Another guy had made and offer but it was ours if we got money to him first. The other guy showed up with the money the next day. This went on a couple more times until I found one at a dealer in Knoxville. Again, there another guy who wanted it, but could not come up with the cash. We saw it, liked it and made an offer. It was turned down and they made a counteroffer. I never drove it, relying on the reputation of the company and the reputation of the dealer. We have not been disappointed. If you like it and it fits your needs buy it - another might or might not show up that you like.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You might save money in the fall, but I don't think it's a given that you will. Whether private or dealer. Popular models in good condition sell fast and the seller often knows what he has. It's a lot more important to grab the right one when & if it comes available.

I'd shop now - you can always say No to the price and wait to see what happens.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe generally, fall and early winter are the buyers market. Spring and early summer are the sellers market..

Geographical location also helps.. We found more selection in Florida, Texas, and Arizona.

Know your product, know what your looking for, know when to walk away, and know when to jump on a deal.

Good Luck.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
This is a basic truth. We decided to get back into RVing even though my wife is in a wheelchair. Saw a Newmar with a wheelchair ramp and handicap features. Started looking and found a preowned for private sale. Before I could make on offer, it was gone. Then we found another and told the guy we would take it and would be there within two days to see it. Another guy had made and offer but it was ours if we got money to him first. The other guy showed up with the money the next day. This went on a couple more times until I found one at a dealer in Knoxville. Again, there another guy who wanted it, but could not come up with the cash. We saw it, liked it and made an offer. It was turned down and they made a counteroffer. I never drove it, relying on the reputation of the company and the reputation of the dealer. We have not been disappointed. If you like it and it fits your needs buy it - another might or might not show up that you like.
True enough. I laugh when I see people give advice like have it inspected, get fluid samples etc. All great advice if they are buying junk because it will still be there, but if you are buying a quality brand/ unit at a good price it will be gone. It happened to me three times also. If someone in the private market doesn't fly in and cash them out a dealer will.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #14

Do your research. Towing weight, resale value. All things considered. We bought a 2001 Sunnybrook was still like new 2 years ago. Replaced tires and vent covers. Then sold it to up grade to a used 2008 Raptor toy hauler. Both were one owners. Got great deals from the owners.Click image for larger version

Name:	1112171434-1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	254383Click image for larger version

Name:	0701191449.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	254384

ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase