Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Purchased Used Class C - Waiting on Financing

Hey guys,

New to the forum here. Hello! I just purchased a 2002 Tioga 26Q from a dealership here in Southern California. We came to an agreement on price, I was approved for the loan, and signed all the paperwork on Monday night. They are going to put on new tires and give it a wash/detail before pick up. When asking about how long it would take, the answer I got was it would take a few days to deal with the banks (very vague).

I've been applying some pressure since yesterday because I can see where this is going. Today, my sales rep told me the loan has not been bought yet "because it's an older rig with a smaller down payment". I don't understand... I've already been approved through them and signed all the paperwork. I really want to pick up my new rig this weekend but he pretty much told me today it's not going to happen. What's the hold up? Is this typical when purchasing an RV from a dealer? The whole thing just feels a little weird to me. I've bought a few used cars from dealerships and was able to leave that day... what's the difference?

Thanks,

Michael

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome!

Your dealer sounds a little shady to me. If the loan is approved already, he is just giving you the run around. I got my loan pre-approved through USAA, had my limit.
Called them with the details of the motor home, got the check the next day to give it to the dealer.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Welcome!

Your dealer sounds a little shady to me. If the loan is approved already, he is just giving you the run around. I got my loan pre-approved through USAA, had my limit.
Called them with the details of the motor home, got the check the next day to give it to the dealer.
X2...shop for your own loan. You can get better rates and the coach isn't going anywhere if you gave them money down.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. I understand it's not going anywhere. I gave them a 10% down payment. I just don't think it's my problem if they are having an issue finding a bank to buy the loan. The problem is, what can really I do? I feel like the run-around has begun. I want my freakin' motorhome! What are they getting out of it by taking their time with the whole process? I would think they would want my RV off the lot.

I went with their financing thinking it would be easier. I did my research online and pretty much figured a good interest rate for a 2002 is 6%. That's what they approved me for (actually 5.99%).
Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

Yup, my dealer got me a good deal too. When he called to pick it up, he said I needed $5000.00 more due to the age.

I was ok with that.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephyst View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I understand it's not going anywhere. I gave them a 10% down payment. I just don't think it's my problem if they are having an issue finding a bank to buy the loan. The problem is, what can really I do? I feel like the run-around has begun. I want my freakin' motorhome! What are they getting out of it by taking their time with the whole process? I would think they would want my RV off the lot.

I went with their financing thinking it would be easier. I did my research online and pretty much figured a good interest rate for a 2002 is 6%. That's what they approved me for (actually 5.99%).
Not a bad rate, mine is a little lower.

In my experience (we have bought 3 trailers and 3 Motor homes), when the dealer said approved, right away was the signing of contract, the final inspection and then out the door. I have never sat around after they said approved. That is why I think they are giving you the run around.

The finance guy shops around for the best rate plus how much the dealer is going to get for the financing origination loan.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My local credit union is offering RV loans for 2.5 to 4.8% right now.
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

For sure stay on top of the guy. Sounds like he may have jumped the gun on saying that you were approved, but the papers are signed and the down payment has changed hands. Try to give him an ultimatum. Give me my RV or give me my money back today! See what he says to that.

Good Luck!
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #9

The problem with class C's right now is the market value is so much higher than their book value. Your Tioga without knowing miles or extra's books for about $12,650 retail. Where I live that class C in excellent condition with low miles would have a market value double that. So with a small down the way the bank looks at it is you will be upside down for most of the life of the loan. Before 08 this was no problem, but since then most banks don't want to loan even the full book value.

My guess, without knowing the sale price and your down, is the dealer is still shopping your loan trying to find a bank that is willing to lend more than the book states its worth.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #10

It sounds to me like you really haven't been approved for a loan yet. The dealer said yeah, we'll sell it to you for whatever price, with whaetver you gave as a down payment. Now they are looking for a bank that will do the financing.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
It sounds to me like you really haven't been approved for a loan yet. The dealer said yeah, we'll sell it to you for whatever price, with whaetver you gave as a down payment. Now they are looking for a bank that will do the financing.
This is what I assume is going on as well. It just sucks, having no pick up date in site. I could have gotten approved somewhere else by now (my credit score is into the 800's) and walked in with a check. I feel like it's on the back burner since they aren't making much money on my rig. It's definitely not at the top of their priority list. I feel like I have no power in the situation at all... if I complain more they will probably take even more time.

They can't even give me an estimate on how long it will take...
Old 04-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
In my experience, banks do like to give loans for RV's older than 5 years old or so. A bank or credit union will not want to give a loan on a 13 year old motorhome IMO. You may have to shop around yourself to find someone who will give you this loan and it will not be at a low rate. Good luck
Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #13

Last year, in fact , I got a 12 year loan from M&T Bank, on a 1999 Gulfstream Motorhome.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
In my experience, banks do like to give loans for RV's older than 5 years old or so. A bank or credit union will not want to give a loan on a 13 year old motorhome IMO. You may have to shop around yourself to find someone who will give you this loan and it will not be at a low rate. Good luck
This is what's going on. They are telling me they cannot find anyone to finance the loan. Shouldn't this be their finance manager's job to know it wouldn't be able to go through before I waste my time going down there multiple times and signing the paperwork? I've read through my purchase order, and I can't find anything that says if they can't find a buyer it becomes a problem. They are blaming it on the depth of my credit. I'm 26 years old and don't own a home, but I have an 812 credit score. This is unbelievable! I feel like they are completely jerking me around. He's trying to tell me I need to find a personal loan or pay cash. Lol.

Tags
class c, purchase