Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Purchasing from a private party advice please! (California)

After an arduous search, I found THE ONE. Told the seller I would pay in cash. Then swiftly discovered he doesn't have the title...yet.

Here's the story: Trailer belongs to his folks (I viewed it at their house). He's handling the sale. Dad passed away. Momma wants it gone. They paid the bank last week. Title takes 14+ days from payoff. Didn't want to tell him he could have paid an extra $50 and they would expedite and FedX the title. He wants to sell it without the title. I declined. He offered to do the deal through his friends dealership, I was not really comfortable with that. I offered to use an escrow company. He didn't want the hassle.

I do believe this guy is genuine. What I don't trust is his "executive skills" to get the title signed and over to me. So many things can go wrong. Along with other family members intervening and crying foul play. Heck someone could make an elder abuse case and I could get dragged into that.

The one idea I had is this: Use his buddies dealership, but I get a loan for 50% of the sales price via a lender of my choice. That would potentially offer a backstop. Because a lender won't approve a transaction unless all of the paperwork and bonds are in order. I'd just pay it off right away. And I'd take on whatever loan charges existed.

The trailer is under-priced and high demand. He said "If nobody else has bought it yet, when I get the title, I'll give you a call" - but he said that sort of begrudgingly.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I know the simple answer is to just walk away. I did. But I'm willing to investigate potential alternatives.
Sactogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do not buy anything in California without title in hand. Bought a truck from a California dealer without the title in his possession. Took me 90 days to get it from the brain surgeons in Sacramento.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I wouldn't pass any money until the title is there for you to see.

Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Transferring vehicles with no title is what keeps Judge Judy & The Peoples Court on the air.

Hold out for the title.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

You didn't mention offering a deposit until the title is available. I can't imagine the seller worrying about the sale with say a $500 deposit in hand. Before doing that I would call the bank, perhaps with the sellers permission to be sure the title is on the way and describes the RV you think you are getting.

You mentioned this unit is under priced. Perhaps, or maybe a scam.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Purchasing from a private party advice please! (California)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
...Hold out for the title...

No easy recourse if something goes wrong. Nobody wants their $$$ or toys tied up in court.

Regarding the guy seems genuine...remember there is always a in-law, spouse, sibling behind the seller that you might have to deal with. Once u have the title all those potential issues go away.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

Without a title in hand, you don't own it. I would go the deposit route if the seller will agree.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #8

Personally I would not deal with a belligerent seller. You are in control not him. It sounds like you are willing to pay his asking price and in return you expect a title. Your are even willing to wait until the title is available. Remind him of that!

I seriously doubt another buyer is willing to prepay without the title. But maybe, cause there's a sucker born every minute. Just don't let it be you.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

Deposit with a Contract of Sale showing the deposit amount, the sale price and the requirement to deliver the title BEFORE final payment of the remaining balance. You're protected, he's protected. If he can't wait for the money until he has the title clear something is wrong.
BTW, who's on the title to sell it? Him or his Mother? Or is it an estate issue on who can sell it? Do you need the sign off done by a Notary? We do in AZ. Estate issues can get sticky real quick.
You need to know these things.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #10

I reciently bought a 2014 crv to tow behind my Motorhome. The seller had a lease on it I told her I would buy it but I could not pay anything till she was in possession of the California title. The process took a month first paying off the lease then obtaining the title. the car was parked in my garage the last 3 weeks before I paid her. We both trusted each other but with out a title the car was of no use to me.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

Just to elaborate:

I don't feel the guy is being belligerent. I just think he expects people to trust him. I explained I trust him just fine. It's the potential for anyone else who's involved.

I don't believe he wants to take a deposit (I offered) and do a contract because he thinks someone else will be willing to buy it without the title in hand. "Well I have someone else who said they would be back this week and buy it. They were ok with the title situation" - I think after anyone leaves and has a chance to think it over, there's no way they would.

Also, if any other buyer has to obtain a loan for it, the seller has to sort out the title situation. I'm a cash buyer. I'd have to think that's worth something.

At the moment I'm playing a bit of poker. Waiting to see if he calls back and offers a viable remedy. But I've already let this one go.

For what it's worth, I spent 20 minutes with it. Brought the whole family. Looked at him and said "I'll take it. Bring you a cashier's check tomorrow" (It's 1.5hrs from my home). Then called him the next morning and expressed concerns about the title. So he's entitle to be a little frustrated with me.

I doubt anyone else would be that decisive. I'm aware of all the secondary risks I'm taking by not having it checked out. It's 13 mos old and practically new. I ran a VIN check on it. I have a background in automotive repairs, I feel pretty confident when I look something over for any obvious flaws.
Sactogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #12

I bought a car in California, but the title had been misplaced. Before the state would issue a replacement title to me, they wanted 9.25% sales taxes paid. California state sales taxes are not due on any car, boat or airplane that's transported out of state and taken possession elsewhere--and California title regulations are documented online.

I had to go to the state Board of Equalization to send a letter ordering the title office to send me the duplicate title without the sales taxes paid. My state's sales taxes were 2.50% and they were paid when titling.

Never buy anything without a title in hand. There are so many bogus people and thieves out there, and a proper title is there to protect both the buyers and the sellers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #13

I agree with everyone else. It's not worth the risk. If he dosen't have the title in hand, I would walk away.
hamfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also remember you cannot license the vehicle without a signed off title.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, california