Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 03:10 AM   #1

Purchasing new RV extended warranty

I'm a newbie in the RV world. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a new RV. More than likely a Tiffan or Newmar. My question is should I purchase the extended warranty through the dealer? I've been told it's better to purchase the extended warranty through a private company.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
kap4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 05:17 AM   #2

Don't purchase it at all.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:25 AM   #3

You will have a one, two, three years of warranty coverage for the various parts of the new motor home. I know I do. I'd wait until you have some experience with your unit to determine if you have any issues that would lead you to an informed decision on IF you need a warranty. If it will help you sleep at night having one, shop around as you can get a better deal than from the new mh dealer.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #4

I agree, stay away from "extended warranties" regardless of who offers them. If your concerned about after factory warranty repair costs, set the cost of an "extended warranty" aside in a separate account and draw on it to pay for any/all costs to repairs after warranty. It's my experience after buying 12 new RV's over the past 30 years that if you do as I recommend, you'll still have $$ in that account many years later when the "extended warranty" would end.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yea yea, you will hear stay away from folks who don't buy them. (Or can't afford). Knowledgeable people understand it's about spreading risk and the underwriter making a profit. Do your comparison shopping and you will see a wide variation in cost because dealers make a nice commission. Personally I wound' t buy one for a period in which the mfg coverage applies. But would consider for later periods. I am thousands ahead because of extended service contracts.

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
Old 08-20-2016, 06:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Yea yea, you will hear stay away from folks who don't buy them. (Or can't afford). Knowledgeable people understand it's about spreading risk and the underwriter making a profit. Do your comparison shopping and you will see a wide variation in cost because dealers make a nice commission. Personally I wound' t buy one for a period in which the mfg coverage applies. But would consider for later periods. I am thousands ahead because of extended service contracts.

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742

X 2!!! 😎

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #7

Do not buy from the dealer. Very expensive. Check around you will find a much better deal if you wish to purchase some peace of mind. I purchased from Wholesale Warranties and have been very satisfied with their service and it did pay for itself. Not all feel the same and it is with your level of comfort.
x3 Texas Tom
drjnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've got a different point of view. I don't buy the extended warranties when I make a purchase but...
I bought a 10 month old Tiffin Allegro RED, my first MH. There are A LOT of systems on these coaches and I'm not a great DIY guy. I bought the extended Cornerstone warranty through the dealer (Lazydays in Tampa) and I'm glad I did. It has paid for itself after the one year Tiffin warranty expired. I had a furnace repair and a hydraulic slide repair and those costs were more than the warranty cost.
The chassis manufacturer, Freightliner, has a five year warranty and I've had occasion to use their services as well.
You are purchasing a house and moving it down the road at 60 - 65 mph. Things happen. I broke my "no extended warranty" rule and I'm glad I did.
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Warranty or not is a personal risk decision. The same as you would buy a health insurance policy to cover things you can't pay for. Simply ... If a 20 grand hit would bankrupt you , then seriously think about it. If it would hurt , but you'd survive, you have a choice.
You don't have to buy from the dealer and in fact have a warranty so why double up? Wait until the factory warranty expires.
This is a major dealer profit item and it's likely you will be under pressure to buy. I would suggest you don't
Wholesale warranties is a company that has had good reports on the forums at least get a quote from them when new then you'll know where you stand when you do purchase a year or two later. You'll also have a reference for how expensive the dealer offer is or isn't. I also think it will give you a better picture of the dealers motives in the big picture too.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #10

As you can see there are several points of view on this. Here is what we all have to consider. We KNOW things will break down. You may be the type of person that saves specifically for that major A/C repair bill looming in the next couple of years, then again you may be the person that does not plan well but can make payments on the future breakdown.

That is what a service contract is. Regarding the word warranty, it implies that anything on the RV would be covered, and that's not true. There are exclusions such as "pre-existing" events if you were to purchase a pre-owned RV. think rust would not be covered. Those you must plan for.

The best decision you can make is decide to become informed on how the service contracts "warranty" works and to shop around. I agree that a new unit MIGHT not need a contract due to the MFGR warranty, but even then there have been plenty of cases where the MFGR washes its hands of your unit that is giving them trouble.
MHexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My service policy was an IRA with just over $16,000, used it up (plus an add'l $6,000) the first month we had the Magna. Didn't even get a change to buy a service policy as the paperwork was waiting for us when we got home. Still need new tires and a fogged window repair. But then the tires and window repair wouldn't be covered by a service policy anyway. The engine repair would have been iffy as it happened 2,500 miles after we bought the rig and some have a mileage start date of purchase mileage plus 2,000 to 2,500 miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHexplorer View Post
As you can see there are several points of view on this. Here is what we all have to consider. We KNOW things will break down. You may be the type of person that saves specifically for that major A/C repair bill looming in the next couple of years, then again you may be the person that does not plan well but can make payments on the future breakdown.

That is what a service contract is. Regarding the word warranty, it implies that anything on the RV would be covered, and that's not true. There are exclusions such as "pre-existing" events if you were to purchase a pre-owned RV. think rust would not be covered. Those you must plan for.

The best decision you can make is decide to become informed on how the service contracts "warranty" works and to shop around. I agree that a new unit MIGHT not need a contract due to the MFGR warranty, but even then there have been plenty of cases where the MFGR washes its hands of your unit that is giving them trouble.
Exactly, by Federal law they are not "warranties" unless purchased from the original vehicle manufacturer, they are service policies and as such are a contract with far less consumer rights.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Exactly, by Federal law they are not "warranties" unless purchased from the original vehicle manufacturer, they are service policies and as such are a contract with far less consumer rights.

I think that is where most of the dissatisfaction is. The word "warranty" is used even by some service contract providers which gives a false impression to the consumer. Once consumers understand that on USED units-you cannot buy any type of insurance/contract that will freely repair your units pre-exisiting problems, but you can buy a contract where you pay for possible breakdown of listed covered parts. Then consumers will be less apt to complain. Knowledge beforehand is key, many may choose not to buy but to save, but others who may not be mechanically inclined nor able/capable to save for a possible future event will find a service contract agreeable to them.

RV Inspection Connection/RV Warranty Connection
MHexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #14

I am of the School.. after purchase.. start a saving account., and add to it each month just like paying a service contract.... you get interest. and if NOT needed .. extra money to you.

in all my years.. most anything I have purchased.. cars/truck/Trailers/motorcycles.. televisions/washer/driers... 99 percent went 10 plus years before major problem.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote