Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We purchased our past two motorhomes from private parties out of state. I went to our DMV and asked them what I would need. They were very helpful even giving me information how to safely handle the money tansfer, and how to get the motorhome back to Kentucky legally. On this coach, the previous owner stilled owed money and our purchase price wasn't enough to cover his debt. He had to come up with additional funds to allow the release of the lean. We had to figure out how to safely and legally make the transaction. I was lucky, he was just as interested in financial safety as I was, and we worked well together.
My advice it to talk with your bank, and your DMV. They should be able to help.
Bigd9

affreeman
I suggest you talk to your state department of motor vehicles and find out exactly what is required when purchasing a vehicle out of state.

Armed with that information you will be "affreeman" allowed to purchase a vehicle from either a dealer or a private seller out of state.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
New York seems to require an in transit vehicle permit whether it's inter state or taking it out of state.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tran...y-registration
Thanks tcg. That's exactly the information I was seeking.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #17

I had the same concerns last spring as I bought a used coach from a private seller in PA, I'm in NJ. The title was clear, I had a bill of sale, proof of insurance, but I did not want to drive the 400 miles home without a tag. We all went to a local AAA office in PA that was able to facilitate the sale and issue temp in transit tags. I believe they cost about 30 bucks. I tried to get some info from NJ DMV, but they don't get involved until you bring them a title to transfer and your checkbook for the 7% sales tax!
G3G4G5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Driving an unregistered vehicle may work in some states, but NOT in Massachusetts. Don't even consider it. Proof of sale is not enough.

I just completed the private sale of an RV from CT and I live in MA. It has taken Sam's financing over 6 weeks to process my loan (so far) and after screw-up after screw-up I still do not have my title to bring to the DMV. (I'll rant later in another post.)

Fortunately, the seller let me drive it home with his plates (still registered) and my insurance two weeks ago. Progressive was the ONLY place we found able to insure in MA, and they were happy to insure with only the VIN. Don't forget, you need an inspection sticker too.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Yes I would. Every private auto sale I have made resulted in the new owner driving away "unregistered." But with a freshly signed bill of sale and intention of getting it registered at the first opportunity.
In NJ, if you get caught driving without being registered you're ticketed & your vehicle could be towed & impounded depending on the officer.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
I've been actively hunting for my perfect MH for a while now. I've pursued a couple of potential deals that were out of state, but they were both with dealers who would handle the paperwork and provide a temporary registration so I could drive the MH back home legally. For one reason or another none of these deals worked out so I am still looking.

Now I'm considering a possible deal on another out of state coach, but this time it is with a private seller. And I realized that I have no idea how I would go about making it legal for me to drive the coach home before I registered it here in Massachusetts.

I'm sure others have been in this position so I'd sure appreciate somebody telling me how they went about it.

Thanks!
You can get a temporary registration from the state you're buying it from. Another option would be to make 2 trips, which is what we did.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife and I are heading to New York tomorrow to look at this motorhome and complete the sale if everything checks out satisfactorily.

I took a closer look at the application for interstate transit tags in New York State. It looks like you need to have a NYS drivers license to apply for the tags, and it says right on the form that it's not valid in Massachusetts. So that's useless. (https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv82itp.pdf)

So it looks like the only legal way to drive this thing home is to make two trips. COmplete the sale tomorrow, get all the documents, come back to Massachusetts and apply for a registration, then go back to New York to get the MH.

It's a 9 hour round trip so not looking forward to that. Also very difficult for both of us to have a day off at the same time. Arggh! So frustrating.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #22

In my state, they won't register a out of state vehicle until the sheriff actually eyeballs the vehicle, compares the VIN number and checks for safety certificates stickers that are supposed to be on the outside by the door.

I was told to have the previous owner's registration paperwork, and the bill of sale and proof of insurance and those three documents would suffice if stopped. Then just drive it home and then to them for inspection.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #23

Quote:
My wife and I are heading to New York tomorrow to look at this motorhome and complete the sale if everything checks out satisfactorily.

I took a closer look at the application for interstate transit tags in New York State. It looks like you need to have a NYS drivers license to apply for the tags, and it says right on the form that it's not valid in Massachusetts. So that's useless. (https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv82itp.pdf)

So it looks like the only legal way to drive this thing home is to make two trips. COmplete the sale tomorrow, get all the documents, come back to Massachusetts and apply for a registration, then go back to New York to get the MH.

It's a 9 hour round trip so not looking forward to that. Also very difficult for both of us to have a day off at the same time. Arggh! So frustrating.
I feel your pain! Husband did the 2 trip thing from NJ to N Carolina for our American. Worth it to get a great coach though! Hope everything works out for you guys!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:07 AM   #24

Quote:
My question is about how to legally drive the RV from point of purchase in western New York state back to Massachusetts where I will register it.
Purchased my coach in Idaho and drove it home to Alaska. Bill Of Sale, proof of insurance with current tags and registration from the previous owner was all that was needed. Canadian and U.S. Customs was just fine with that. Of course I registered it in my name as soon I got home.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Massachusetts!

Looking further into the whole insurance / registration mess, it seems that Massachusetts does not recognize temporary tags from other states and that you can be cited for driving an unregistered vehicle if stopped while driving with such tags in Massachusetts, and furthermore that doing so invalidates your insurance coverage, and that the vehicle can be impounded.
(Mod Edited Title)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Purchased my coach in Idaho and drove it home to Alaska. Bill Of Sale, proof of insurance with current tags and registration from the previous owner was all that was needed. Canadian and U.S. Customs was just fine with that. Of course I registered it in my name as soon I got home.
So you drove it on the previous owner's registration. I thought of that and intend to ask if he's willing to do that, but if I were in his shoes I wouldn't allow it.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:00 AM   #27

VA DMV allows you to purchase for a couple of dollars on their website an in transit tag good for 3 days. I have bought a couple of out of state vehicles and used this in transit tag. Does MA offer this on the DMV website?
Old 09-09-2016, 04:02 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
VA DMV allows you to purchase for a couple of dollars on their website an in transit tag good for 3 days. I have bought a couple of out of state vehicles and used this in transit tag. Does MA offer this on the DMV website?
Massachusetts does not issue temporary tags to individuals. Only dealers can issue temp tags.

Furthermore, Massachusetts does not recognize temporary tags issued by other states.