Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Putting our RV into a rental pool..

Hi fellow RVers,
We have been approached about putting our class A RV into a rental pool and wondered if anyone out there has had any experiences with this. Would be very appreciative of advice, warnings or encouragements.
Steve and Karen
06 Country Coach Allure

hughess004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I wish I could offer the encouragement you're looking for, but there is absolutely no way I would put my coach in a rental pool... and I don't even own a Country Coach!

Just too many potential problems for my taste.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Make sure your insurance is paid up, 'cause there WILL be "accidents" with which to deal.

There WILL be "depreciation"!

Is this what you want?

1999 Flagstaff 21FB, 2000 F-350 Lariat LB/CC 7.3L SRW 3:73
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My advice is to take a good hard look at how you view your RV.
Can you honestly look at it as a business transaction, and accept that damage, abuse and just plain wear and tear is a "cost of doing business"?
Or, do you have a special affection for your motorhome, much as you would your house? Granted it won't love you back, but if you're the type that will get upset over every ding, scrape and stain, you won't be happy.
Personally, I like my Winnie too much to ever consider it.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine is a 1989 Pace Arrow with 80k, worth peanuts, and I would not rent or loan it out. May be old, bit everything works, not beat up and I want to keep it that way.
P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

thanks guys, we do appreciate the feedback, will give it very careful consideration before leaping in. (or not)
hughess004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Originally Posted by hughess004 View Post
Hi fellow RVers,
We have been approached about putting our class A RV into a rental pool and wondered if anyone out there has had any experiences with this.
No way. One of the reasons I have an RV is I don't have to deal with what other people do. My beds, my carpet, no one to break my stuff.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
If you do this, be sure your insurance co. will cover it under commercial use. If there is a lender involved they may have some objection to using the MH in a commercial endeavor. Not a good idea to rent out and then try to collect on a damage claim.
'04 Alpine 36 FDDS
Bob, Ojai, CA
K6OHI - Monitor 146.52
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aside from the possible accidents mentioned above, I'd be worried about just normal use. These are complicated systems. No way can a renter have enough knowledge to operate properly. Secondly, if through some kind of network where an agent is involved, they'll be reporting to taxing authorities. Risk, possible damages, paperwork and paying taxes... you would have to get a REALLY high rate of pay to offset all that. Personally, I wouldn't do it no matter what the rate is.
2004 Damon Escaper LX400 4194
40' Diesel Pusher
Cummins ISL
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
If it is financed I'm pretty sure you can't do it unless its a business loan. I'm sorry I like mine to much to have it messed up. It would be like staying in a hotel again after its rented.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not in my lifetime! Have you ever seen how a rental is treated by some renters? Mobile meth lab perhaps?
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
x2, I agree with blang
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
I started off renting motorhomes, classe c and class a. I had to buy insurance that the rv dealer had a contract with. Was cheap and not a big deal. I rented a class c from a private party once, the rv was in good shape but the owner got it back cleaner inside and out than when I picked it up.
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
We have some friends who bought a Windsport gasser new and put it in the dealer's rental pool (American Dreams) They have actually made some money on the deal but report that the inside looks like it is many years older than its actual age of "2". Plus, some noticeable dings on the exterior. Scrapes from trees, etc.

Still, they are not really avid RV'ers so it works for them. They do say that the dealer will not let it stay in the rental pool past 3 years.

On some trips we have made we have witnessed rental units nearby being mistreated by their users. Slamming doors, leaving compartment doors open during a rain storm, slamming awnings, etc.

Country Coach.........rental.........no way, Jose.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote