Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We spend 120 to 160 days a year in our MH all at once. We leave for the winter, stay, come back to "home" and clean it up and put it away. After that we are done until we go again. So it may seem like we "do not use it" but that is a lot of days away for us.

It is not neglected, I "visit" it in storage about once per month, run the generator etc. Bring it home occasionally for preventative and occurring maintenance (that is where it is right now). But we seldom go anywhere other than away for the winter. We like it that way, bought it for that reason and are very happy with our second home.

It is not that much different than owning a vacation home. But ours can be by the ocean, by a lake, near the Grand kids, away from everyone, in the desert, in the mountains where ever we want to be. We are not confined to the same place year after year.

To someone else during the times we are here in our S&B it may seem as though we do not use it but 120/160 or so days and nights is a lot actually. Perhaps more than folks doing weekends or week long trips actually spend in a years time.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have that problem. On our past rv, we put on over 10000 miles a year. The new one and our kids getting older we still managed to put 6500 on it this first year. Im sure that will be about average. We get out even if its a sunday drive with a brief stop or overnight to watch some motorcycle racing. Even when its stored next to the house I try and use it every day even if its just watching a movie or a comfortable night with the rain tapping on the roof. We get our use.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Darn Old Age.

My DW and I started about 10 years ago with a then, worn out church bus, did the conversion and spent most of the time camping and repairing parts.
We got tired of the mess and bought a used '77 Pace Arrow, still just weekenders, any way we are now on our fourth RV (40 foot HR DP).
We spent many nights making plans for retirement and not looking back.
Sold everything, chased the kids off, and pointed north.
First trip FT, DW fell out of the coach backwards, DARN .
Now we are parked full time in a private camp ground, not by choice ! $240,000 DP And can't travel.
Around the park, 2500 sites, are millions of dollars,( just sitting getting green with moss) of every type of campers that have not been driven in years, let alone visited.
Don't over think traveling--DO IT NOW.
Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #18

If they go away for the winter season I assume they are retired. The summer season is altogether different - hectic vacationers, loud parks, traffic, etc. Perhaps that's the reason. In winter they socialize with like-age snowbirds and it's a calmer lifestyle.

Also, just the opposite, many use their RVs in the summer and don't in the winter. Are you one of these? Just a thought.....
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We enjoy our friends, and it is always better if we can get them to join us. We invite them on occasions when we don't use our RV. My wife enjoys cruises and we often invite friends to join us, to no avail. We used to have a timeshare in Maui and would invite friends to join us but the airfare was always the problem or time it took flying. Free room and board in Paradise. Two weeks, two bedrooms, oceanfront. Too big a commitment. Time and money. People tell me it is on their bucket list, but they don't do anything about it. Always something comes up instead. It is similar to the FMCA chapter we belong to. In the 5 years we have belonged, we have never met half of them. They belong but don't participate. Their lose!
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll go... Never been,
Thanks for the offer but I am going to be a sno-bird
Never-mind.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #21

OP: It seems you keep asking people to travel with you. There are many of us who don't enjoy traveling with others. We don't want to be on a schedule and like to see things that appeal to us..not everyone else. I always wonder why some folks can't travel alone, especially on some posts about an Alaskan trip. Some want to go with a group. It's not a difficult trip to do and to be tied up for weeks or months on schedule doesn't sound appealing - to us. Some might like it though. Everyone is different - and that's good. Just a thought.....
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #22

Foretravel Owners Club
All good reading, we all have our reasons for what ever we do. Me, age 73 not retired, my operation does well with me being gone 3-4 weeks every 2-3 months, not killing my self. the DW same age thinks we will be running the business for next 30-40 years. She still looks like a high school kid, me, am about used up. no debt, more than enough to live real good but the thought of Facing the DW everyday without a plan is scary.
Between money and health, aging and ability to dream of places to explore and desire to go all factor into the what ever. I have covered the larger part of the country enjoying most of it. My very favorite area is the Black Hills of SD, Custer State Park etc.
Having a coach that is like the family sedan for comfy driving, very dependable with good mpg makes traveling non eventful, been averaging 5500 miles annually. Coach has 112,000 miles with zero issues, we do keep up with routine servicing.
Next outing is for ATV riding in Tn next is Arcadia for New Years get to get to gether.
DAVE M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
My DW and I started about 10 years ago with a then, worn out church bus, did the conversion and spent most of the time camping and repairing parts.
We got tired of the mess and bought a used '77 Pace Arrow, still just weekenders, any way we are now on our fourth RV (40 foot HR DP).
We spent many nights making plans for retirement and not looking back.
Sold everything, chased the kids off, and pointed north.
First trip FT, DW fell out of the coach backwards, DARN .
Now we are parked full time in a private camp ground, not by choice ! $240,000 DP And can't travel.
Around the park, 2500 sites, are millions of dollars,( just sitting getting green with moss) of every type of campers that have not been driven in years, let alone visited.
Don't over think traveling--DO IT NOW.
Larry
I wondered how you and Rita were doing, heard that you had "settled" down. We missed you at the last NW Meet & Greet at 7 Feathers.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
OP: It seems you keep asking people to travel with you. There are many of us who don't enjoy traveling with others. We don't want to be on a schedule and like to see things that appeal to us..not everyone else. I always wonder why some folks can't travel alone, especially on some posts about an Alaskan trip. Some want to go with a group. It's not a difficult trip to do and to be tied up for weeks or months on schedule doesn't sound appealing - to us. Some might like it though. Everyone is different - and that's good. Just a thought.....

We have found that traveling with another RV for more than a day or two gets real old real fast.
Mel
Old 10-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
Mel
I laugh, tried traveling with brother, no luck, his DW has to stop at every Wally World and spend him rich with all the savings. Some times we will meet up at a pre determined camp ground a few days down the road, it tends to keep both of us in a better humor.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
Mel
I laugh, tried traveling with brother, no luck, his DW has to stop at every Wally World and spend him rich with all the savings. Some times we will meet up at a pre determined camp ground a few days down the road, it tends to keep both of us in a better humor.
Dave M
I 2 have done this. With my brother and friends. It keeps us all saner.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
I am constantly puzzled by my friends non-use of their motor homes. I have asked several friends to join us to rallys, trips, etc only to be turned down. I hope it is not me, but they just let their coach sit. Two of my friends go to FL for winter, one leaves Monday after Thanksgiving until mid March, storing his coach in FL usually. The other leaves about the week between Christmas and New Years until 1st of April and brings his coach back home and parks it. Maybe a trip to Myrtle Beach, if not too hot! Others don't go to warm weather for winter, weatherize their coach 1st of Oct until late April or May. I hear all the excuses, 250 miles is too far, campground costs too much @$40, can't get away for 10 days even tho retired, weather is too hot or cold, etc. Just don't understand it. 2006 HR Navigator with 8,400 miles. Really! Oh well, there is a new destination and sunset waiting for me.
Hello, Paul and Carol.

Our coach was "rested' a bit several times in our lives. Our 2 kids are 4 years apart, so kid #1 spent 4 years at a major college, then kid #2 went to a local community college for just over 2 years. Then, kid #1 needed 4 more years. College is expensive, and both of our kids had scholarships.

Once the kids were done with college, it was my DW's turn but not her fault. A drunk driver almost killed her. When all was finally well with her, I was stricken with an illness that I am still fighting. We hung on to our coach as a reminder for what a privilege it is to be able to travel this bea-U-tiful country of ours in a motorhome, and like it that much. Could have sold it, then bought again once we were able. But this way, we have been able to take shorter trips more often, when YOU were not looking.

BTW, we see you have Bichons! Our Bichon (Max) passed over the rainbow last year. He was 19! Yes, 19. We sure do miss him.

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Bruce and Judy sorry about losing your Bichon, but how wonderful you shared 19 years! Ours just turned 10 in Sept. Perfect little travel companions. Merlot and Shiraz.

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote