Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Puzzled by non-use

I am constantly puzzled by my friends non-use of their motor homes. I have asked several friends to join us to rallys, trips, etc only to be turned down. I hope it is not me, but they just let their coach sit. Two of my friends go to FL for winter, one leaves Monday after Thanksgiving until mid March, storing his coach in FL usually. The other leaves about the week between Christmas and New Years until 1st of April and brings his coach back home and parks it. Maybe a trip to Myrtle Beach, if not too hot! Others don't go to warm weather for winter, weatherize their coach 1st of Oct until late April or May. I hear all the excuses, 250 miles is too far, campground costs too much @$40, can't get away for 10 days even tho retired, weather is too hot or cold, etc. Just don't understand it. 2006 HR Navigator with 8,400 miles. Really! Oh well, there is a new destination and sunset waiting for me.

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
YA it's you ;o).Do they have enough money to go somewhere that wasn't planned? 3 or 4 months camping can get expensive. Do they invite you and Carol? Some people like to do their own planning and are comfortable with the same old. Just throwing stuff around.

mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We started sending pictures to our friends showing them the wonderful time we were experiencing. After that, it is up to them. Life is tooooo short to worry about the things we have little or no control over. Enjoy it while you can.
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
I am constantly puzzled by my friends non-use of their motor homes. I have asked several friends to join us to rallys, trips, etc only to be turned down. I hope it is not me, but they just let their coach sit. Two of my friends go to FL for winter, one leaves Monday after Thanksgiving until mid March, storing his coach in FL usually. The other leaves about the week between Christmas and New Years until 1st of April and brings his coach back home and parks it. Maybe a trip to Myrtle Beach, if not too hot! Others don't go to warm weather for winter, weatherize their coach 1st of Oct until late April or May. I hear all the excuses, 250 miles is too far, campground costs too much @$40, can't get away for 10 days even tho retired, weather is too hot or cold, etc. Just don't understand it. 2006 HR Navigator with 8,400 miles. Really! Oh well, there is a new destination and sunset waiting for me.
Mrfoto
Some people have a RV and use it.... some have one and seldom use it, while some have fancy coaches to impress other people, (or to keep up with the Joneses).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Puzzled by non-use

For over 30 years in S/B, I had a two-car garage full of tools and equipment, mostly woodworking. Fixed a lot of stuff, made a lot of stuff, taught my kids a lot of stuff, sometimes even cleaned it up and got things (temporarily) organized.

Had a friend who loved my "shop". He put up a 30 x 40 building on the backside of his property, fully equipped with some of the best WW equipment available. Had a built-in dust collector, big air compressor, built in cabinets, workbenches, overhead lighting, heat, A/C, etc. I never asked him what it cost.

This was all about 18-20 years ago. My friend died about 2 years ago. To the best of my knowledge he never made anything in that shop. But he would go out there in the evening, futz about, thinking about things. Spent a lot of time there after his wife passed. A lot more, way more, after his son died. Just futzing, thinking. It was HIS SHOP. He loved that shop.

Sometimes, it ain't about the coach.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have a neighbor who bought a newer used 40 ft motorhome over a year ago. He had several upgrades made to the coach in regards to adding cabinets and new electronics. He took delivery and then parked it in a storage lot. Next time I heard he went down to start it and the batteries were dead so he purchased all new batteries. That was over a year ago and the coach has yet to leave the storage lot. And no neither he or his wife have had any health issues.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Paul:

In our case, it's a combination of loss of mobility brought on by advancing years and greatly increased costs of the lifestyle. When we started out, with a used '85 Class C, gas was around $1.75, State parks were $15, commercial CGs were $25.

We bought our current MH 4 years ago, from the original owners. We loved it when we first got it and used it quite a bit that first season. As our experience with it grew, we began to discover its quirks and shortcomings. Later, things started to fail.

First to go was the generator. I had cardiac surgery late in our second season. I managed to get the MH winterized, but that was all I could manage. As a result, the generator wasn't exercised between late November and the following March. It hasn't run since, and I can't afford to pay to get it looked at right now.

The second thing the went belly up was the Dometic fridge (the original in the rig). New fridge installed was close to $1800.

Last time we went out, gas was over $4 a gallon in many places, State Parks are up around $30 and we didn't see many commercial CGs below $45. A relatively short trip (10 days, 1200 miles) ran about $350 on CG fees, $600 on gas.

On Soc Sec and a less than spectacular pension, it's just taking too much out of savings to use the MH and be comfortable with the draw-down. I'm sure we'll take a beating on price, but the MH is in very nice condition, except for the generator issue, and only has 18,000 miles on the clock. We've put 6000 of those on.

We're sad to give up, but we can't downsize very far because of the size of our companions (see signature), and even downsizing doesn't solve the basic problems.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
THAT post is the exact reason we need to get out and get going - ALL of us !

Amazing how the days fly by !!!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We started out with a 82 PA still have it. Its funny (not really) but our Gennie just went out on a blitz. 300 hours I've tried to get her going a new fuel pump no success new carburetor??? & $$$. Need new tire's.$$$ some old some very old. Just had new Bilstiens $$$ put on she rides so nice compared to the original's new tires will fit the bill, 7 @ $300.00 = $2100.00 plus mounting and the other stuff around $2500.00.
Somehow I am going too do it this winter. I have been saying that for 3 years.
Ive been saying end of Oct, but now looking @ end of Nov- Dec, I'm going to do it though.
Ya Sure ya betcha I will.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Drive through a boat or RV storage lot. It's a shame to see RV's and boats just rotting away. I never understood this either. My wife and I have been RVing for over 38 years, averaging 6-8 weeks and over 8000 miles a year while working. We had a boat at that time and used it almost as much as the RV. When the kids moved out and the boat use slowed to one week a year, we sold it. No need to let it rot away.

After the boat, we bought a nice motor cycle and used it for 11 years, until we were done riding and again, we sold it. We currently have a Polaris RZR and have used it for two years, but it's not what we thought it would be.....so it's going up for sale.

Now that we're older, we decided to invest in a new RV and focus more on just RV travels. At least one trip a month and several long trips.

My point, if you're not going to use it, sell it. Why pay storage fees and watch the RV disintegrate. If you intend to still go RVing once year, rent one. It would be much cheaper. I guess people have their reasons, but they don't make sense to me.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
I am constantly puzzled by my friends' non-use of their ( fill in the blank with a toy of some sort ) .
For some, it's just knowing that they can use it IF they ever want to. Our neighbor of 10 years had a 56' Chris Craft that he kept at the marina ($1200/month dock fees). In ten years, he never...never once...took it out.

Let a party conversation turn to boats, though, and he jumped right up on the stump about his yacht and how happy it made him. Different strokes...
Old 10-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I don't mean to be rude, but why are you so concerned about what others are doing or not doing? We all have our own reasons for what we do and we all have preference on how we spend our free time.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but why are you so concerned about what others are doing or not doing? We all have our own reasons for what we do and we all have preference on how we spend our free time.

Because curious minds want to know

Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Drive through a boat or RV storage lot. It's a shame to see RV's and boats just rotting away. I never understood this either. My wife and I have been RVing for over 38 years, averaging 6-8 weeks and over 8000 miles a year while working. We had a boat at that time and used it almost as much as the RV. When the kids moved out and the boat use slowed to one week a year, we sold it. No need to let it rot away.

After the boat, we bought a nice motor cycle and used it for 11 years, until we were done riding and again, we sold it. We currently have a Polaris RZR and have used it for two years, but it's not what we thought it would be.....so it's going up for sale.

Now that we're older, we decided to invest in a new RV and focus more on just RV travels. At least one trip a month and several long trips.

My point, if you're not going to use it, sell it. Why pay storage fees and watch the RV disintegrate. If you intend to still go RVing once year, rent one. It would be much cheaper. I guess people have their reasons, but they don't make sense to me.
We quit the yacht club, sold the boat and boat house so we could tour the country, not just up river and downriver on the Columbia River. Now the DW's health has gone bad and we have a 14 yr old grandson to raise so the trips are shorter and less often. Enjoy life while you can, or you'll be surprised at how short retirement can be!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote