Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

Quality first

While I know that quality may be a totally subjective view point and that money is always a factor, if you could base a MH purchase solely on quality of build and customer service without having to worry about paying for it, what would you buy? and why?

sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Prevost!

VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Brand new? I would buy a Prevost or Foretravel. That was not an option for us.
We bought a used 07 Phaeton by Tiffin. The customer service is great.
Brand new coaches usually have bugs to work out. I might suggest a higher end coach used. Good bang for your buck, providing it was cared for.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #4

We bought a Newmar after about two years of doing research, test drives, looking on this site at problems associated with each brand. To me quality is important because I hate and stress over taking my MH into the shop and leaving it for an extended period of time.I just don't think anybody takes care of it like I do.

What we found in doing our research was if at all possible the smaller the dealer the better. We bought from a dealer who only sells Newmar, and is small in size but one of the top ten dealers in the United States. We got personal service right from the owner, and he was the only one we dealt with when options and price were discussed. He was honest and ethical which to me is just as big part of the quality of a MH as to how well you trust your dealership. I really feel that Newmar holds the dealerships with their franchise more accountable than others do.

In actuality we really only spent about $2000 dollars more than our second choice would have been, so you don't have to spend thousands to get the quality you want. So far everything the dealer said has come true from the delivery, to performance, to how we were treated for some minor warranty issues.

When I was at a few dealers who carried multiple brands, the sales people tended to be very pushy and somewhat trying to decide for you what you need. I then would go back and check the service department and see how many MH were waiting for service, and how long the average wait was. I spoke with the service managers who often told me the wait could be 2-4 weeks for minor work and could be longer for bigger jobs or waiting on parts. Some of service centers had 50-60 MH's waiting for some type of repair.

Also we spoke to others who bought new MH's and based our decision to some point on how they were treated, the shape of their MH at delivery, and how warranty work was done. I feel that a MH being delivered at a dealership with a punch list over twenty things needing repaired should have never left the factory, although with some dealers/brands this is considered acceptable.

I feel that the whole package from purchase, delivery, using it, and getting work done is all part of the quality question. We were promised by our dealer that the Newmars just don't come back that often for warranty work, and we trusted him. So far everything he has told us has come true, ours drives great, doesn't need any of the after market add-ons to get better handling ect, and we have had it back to his shop twice for very minor warranty work that involved a microwave recall and a few parts/adjustments needed. Both times I stayed with the MH, watched what they did, and took it home the same day.

The bottom line is quality is in the mind of the beholder. Some people would rather spend less money and have issues that are repaired under warranty and don't mind waiting for repairs, or adding components to get a better ride, while others don't mind spending a little more to get treated better, and the peace of mind right from the start. If I ever decide to move up to a diesel pusher it will be a Newmar.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #5

Newmar for quality and customer service.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

All things considered, probably a high end Newmar. I'm driving an American Coach and they are pretty darn good too, but I'd still give Newmar the edge.

Prevost is a great chassis but they aren't the RV builder, so you have to look to the coach maker (Marathon, Featherlite, etc) for parts and service.

Newell is fabulous too, but it's a custom coach and only one place to go for coach service. Even the chassis is custom.

Tiffin has great customer support but their coaches aren't made any better than several others. And their factory service facility is overwhelmed with work, so difficult to get in.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
.....Prevost is a great chassis but they aren't the RV builder, so you have to look to the coach maker (Marathon, Featherlite, etc) for parts and service.

Newell is fabulous too, but it's a custom coach and only one place to go for coach service. Even the chassis is custom.

Tiffin has great customer support but their coaches aren't made any better than several others. And their factory service facility is overwhelmed with work, so difficult to get in.
Good points that I had not considered!
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #8

Whatever doesn't have a norcold.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Newmar and Entegra. First a little stronger in quality, the second great customer service and 2 year warrantee. Haven't made up my mind yet between the two.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Ours came with a Norcold, which works way better than the dometic we had before, but one component doesn't define the quality of an entire Motorhome. Anything can go wrong in any brand of MH, it's the frequency, why something breaks, and how the repair is handled that gives you a better look at the quality.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What about Entegra?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #12

We are getting ready to buy our first rv ever and we are going with a Newmar because of their quality, customer service and exceptional reputation. We have spent countless hours researching and even if someone else was paying for our 'dream' coach we'd still be going with a Newmar
Old 09-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quality first

To me, quality is the thought and effort and standard that is put into design and construction. This translates to longevity.

Anyone can build a coach that is pretty right out of the box. It's how well it stands up to the demands of daily usage that tells the tale. Anyone can set up a Customer Service department, but real customer service comes from the corporate culture, not from the org chart. I've also learned from experience elsewhere that large complex machines require a shakedown period, and do break from time to time. This is not always an indicator of shoddy work.

When we started shopping for a coach about three years ago, we knew we wanted it for full timing. All the factors above were considered, and we narrowed the search to builders whose products had a long-term reputation for quality, solidity, and longevity. We wound up looking at Country Coach, Newmar, and Travel Supreme.

We were not interested in the last several model years due to the styling (couldn't afford brand new, anyway); we preferred to pay cash; and neither one of us believes in "the perfect house" or "the perfect coach"-- ergo, no protracted search.

We quickly found very low numbers of CC and TS for sale. We also learned anew just how different peoples' taste is. Who orders custom recliners in purple leather??After about four months and a not too crazy amount of looking we found this DS with the simple clear arrangement we like. It was bought new in the spring of '02, had been a full time home ever since and was still in great shape. So we bought it.

Is there some wear? Of course. And I find things from time to time and fix them. But it is well made of quality stuff. In a few months it will be 13 years old, and I can realistically envision another 13 years of reliability. That's what I mean by quality built.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
All things considered, probably a high end Newmar. I'm driving an American Coach and they are pretty darn good too, but I'd still give Newmar the edge.

Prevost is a great chassis but they aren't the RV builder, so you have to look to the coach maker (Marathon, Featherlite, etc) for parts and service.

According to Newell's website they have 211 preferred service centers (primary Cummins & Caterpillar service centers) throughout the U.S. I would still prefer to have the work performed at their OK headquarters, but you do have options in case of an emergency or location.

Tags
quality