Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Quality ratings

I'm new here, glad I found this forum, it looks excellent!

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a forum or website that compares RV manufacturers, rating the actual true quality of their RV's.

Of course quality is a somewhat subjective perception and it's easy to find people who are very happy with their rig for just about any make of RV. But let's face it, attend an RV show and it becomes obvious: there's high-quality and there's shoddy and an entire spectrum between the two.
It would be nice if the are the industry had something attkin to "Consumer Reports" magazine", which over the course of the last couple of decades has tightened up the quality of the automobile industry to an amazing degree simply by their unbiased reviews: if it's "no good no one's buying it"
Any ideas where to look?

philippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
That would be nice...OTOH, most of these RV companies don't know how to spell modern quality processes.

Further, an attempt to get to make a statement (or have a committee develop a statement) formally to the RVIA WAS VOTED DOWN by about 70-30% by the very owners who might be served by improved quality from the industry. I am not sure why, but the industry seems to be fixed on the premise that they build in 10-15% in cost to warrantee repairs or they hide from quality while expecting new owners to shake out the problems after purchase...a bankrupt approach to business and terrible way to treat customers...and we continue to let them get away with it!
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Quality ratings are not objective on the thread. There normally a bias that leans towards the current possession. Fair enough, few will admit they bought less than the best no matter what brand.

I am not sure how "best bang for the buck" can be quantified as comparisons are difficult without actual costs. Manufacturers certainly do not share that information.

IMO the failure rate on all manufacturers is similar regardless of cost. Using this forum as a guide it appears there are serious numbers of defects per unit produced.

I would be interested if someone could come up with a list to evaluate the actual quality of any unit produced.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
As a general rule like in just about everything else, you get what you pay for.
Tampa Bay
Current Ride 35' motor boat, Future Ride 37-42 DP
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
As a general rule like in just about everything else, you get what you pay for.
As a general statement that is true but most/all manufacturers use third party products. Failure rates for "high end" units are likely the same as the rest of the herd.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Philip. Welcome to iRV2. There is wealth of information available to help you make a decision on whatever rv you're looking for.

When I joined 5 years ago we were looking to upgrade to a diesel motorhome. I started my research by building a spreadsheet that listed Make, Model and Year. I would start to list every complaint / problem listed under the manufacturers forum, Class A forum and general forum. I also subscribe to other forums. So as to not replicate issues I started to track user names.

This gave us an idea of what was happening in the world of motorhomes. There is a concern that not all owners of various motorhomes are very active in posting issues. That required me to join specific user groups. Again, I could only list what was posted.

We also attended RV Shows and talked to Factory Reps. Not salesman. We toured various dealers wherever we travelled and got first hand look at the final product. While attending shows we would talk with owners. Usually the best place to get the real lowdown on a specific coach.

This is NOT an exact science but gave us an idea of what we could expect. This works for the used dp market. That was our market.

Disclaimer: Not every owner post issues. Just a percentage. Again, the results are subjective.

Good Luck. Owners of what you're looking at are your best resource.

John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote