Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Quartz vs Ceramic heaters?

Bout to purchase two heaters to,offset our propane consumption. Can't decide which is best, quartz or ceramic. Would appreciate your recommendations. Which are quieter, most efficient, etc.

Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #2

Well to start with, all electric heaters are nearly 100% efficient, no heat is lost up a chimney or vent.

As for quiet, the fan is the culprit, not the source of heat. The most commonly available silent safe heater is the oil-filled radiator style. But their also the largest physically.

Past that, see if a store will let you plug in a few demo models and see what you think of them.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Pick the one(s) thay fit and are quiet.

Ken
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #4

I like the Lasko pedestal heaters Pedestal Heaters – Ceramic Portable Heaters – Space Saving Ceramic Heaters | Lasko Products, Inc.. The fan is barely audible, and the oscillation distributes the heat nicely.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You probably get what you pay for when it comes to noise levels? I understand the newer style Dyson fans are quite quiet but are also quite expensive. They call them blade less but you just can't see it
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I like the Lasko pedestal heaters Pedestal Heaters – Ceramic Portable Heaters – Space Saving Ceramic Heaters | Lasko Products, Inc.. The fan is barely audible, and the oscillation distributes the heat nicely.

Joel
+1 on the Lasko Ceramic Heaters. I've had one in my rig for about 3 months now. Warms the entire interior. Great backup if you run out of propane or just want to heat differently once in awhile.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Murf2u had it almost right when when he said that all electric heaters are nearly 100% efficient, they are exactly 100% efficient, HERE is why I say this. ALL losses are expressed as heat, if heat is the desired product, all losses become heat so you get full recovery. And before anyone yammers about the fan,, Well the movement of air causes friction, which generates heat.. Or the light given off by some, It too becomes heat when it strikes a absorbent surface. So it's all heat.

Quartz heaters are usually large, and expensive and work exactly as well as a 20 dollar ceramic. Their one advantage is that they are harder to tip over by accident.

So get the smaller ceramic (Cause in RV's you need smaller) and make sure it has a tip over switch.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #8

I had asked that same question several years ago...and got a decent answer. Ceramic is more efficient according to this information. I chose ceramic based on help from this site.
Comparison of Quartz Vs Ceramic Heaters for space heating

In addition... I was pointed towards the Pelonis HC-461 and i bought one for my rig. It has a few nice features...SIZE, cleanable filter (I have pets that travel) and if it gets bumped over it shuts off.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone who claims this type of electric heater is more efficient than that type is a liar, ALL electric heaters are exactly 100% efficient, they can be nothing else.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Anyone who claims this type of electric heater is more efficient than that type is a liar, ALL electric heaters are exactly 100% efficient, they can be nothing else.
I keep saying the same thing and usually no one listen.
Its all a way to make more money. And some end up believing that a 110V heater is more effective then tried an true 220volt system.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #11

I am a fan of the oil filled radiator heaters, dead quiet and nice heat.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If you consider nothing but the conversion efficiency you're correct. If you consider how we occupy a space and how we're warmed by them different types will be more efficient because they will require different run times to keep us comfortable.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
I had asked that same question several years ago...and got a decent answer. Ceramic is more efficient according to this information. I chose ceramic based on help from this site. Comparison of Quartz Vs Ceramic Heaters for space heating In addition... I was pointed towards the Pelonis HC-461 and i bought one for my rig. It has a few nice features...SIZE, cleanable filter (I have pets that travel) and if it gets bumped over it shuts off.
This website is misleading. They are only claiming the ceramic is more efficient because a 1.3KW ceramic unit is used instead of a 3KW quart unit. They would have you believe the two units are doing the same job of heating the people equally, but don't back up that claim with any scientific measurements or facts. You and I are not seated at that cold outdoor table having dinner to judge, but I can tell you the 3KW quartz heater is putting out lots more heat. If my head is hot, then they mounted it too close to the table :-)

The website is also discussing only the radiant type of ceramic and quartz heaters, i.e. NO FAN. So the commonly available quartz and ceramic heaters at the big box stores are not even in this category. If they have a fan, then they are convection heaters not radiant. They have a fan because they are heating air not people.

I have no problems with your choice of the Pelonis HC-461 as a quality made heater. I would probably buy it too ! However my choice would only be made evaluating units for quality, features, and safety. They will all put out the same amount of heat for the same wattage. Quartz or ceramic makes no difference if there is a fan pushing air through the unit, the differences in the wavelength of light emitted also have no measurable effect....again it's the fan moving air which is heated by the hot object (ceramic elements or quartz tubes).
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #14

We have used both Quartz and Ceramic. Much prefer the Quartz for heat. Does not seem to take moisture out of the heated air. The Eden Pure type heaters do take up more room. But they do not heat up items like the Ceramic heaters do. This is important when heating up a area like a RV. Where items can get close to the heater.