Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Quartzsite, AZ

This is little report on the Quartzsite RVs haven in the winter. I am not trying to start or say anything in violation of our rules just to let everyone know what is happening to Quartzsite in this hard time of raising monies to pay to run a town. Remember 9 months out of the year the population is about 5,000 full time residents. In the other 2 1/2 to 3 months the number goes up to 200,000. That's a big tax on the Police, Fire and Ambulance services plus all the over services.
They collect no taxes on RVs that camp on BLM property. Most of us do. So like many other communities they look to raise monies where they can.

1. The venders have had a raise in the cost for their permit to sell.
2. The governing body wants all the tents to become fixed buildings. This would build up their tax base.
3. Venders could no long work out of their RV. EX: windshield repairs-restring day/night shades and others that come to you.
Many of the venders saying if comes true, they will not come back to Quartzsite.
If 90% of the venders did not come back would the RVs, I do not know, But I will say this If you have never been to Quartzsite do it soon as it may end as it is now. Wow what a happening and I'm glad we got to see it in full swing.

If my comments are in violation sorry just want to let everyone know if they wanted to see Quartzsite do it in the next year or two as it maybe just another BLM RV stop.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my way from Beaufort, SC to LA, in 1993, I stopped at Quartsite. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Suddenly there was this small town of vendors and RV's.

You're right, it's definately something to see!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Glad you got to experience it. Been there, going back. I figure on leaving from northern Oregon in 6 days. Can hardly wait to get down there!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
This is little report on the Quartzsite RVs haven in the winter. I am not trying to start or say anything in violation of our rules just to let everyone know what is happening to Quartzsite in this hard time of raising monies to pay to run a town. Remember 9 months out of the year the population is about 5,000 full time residents. In the other 2 1/2 to 3 months the number goes up to 200,000. That's a big tax on the Police, Fire and Ambulance services plus all the over services.
They collect no taxes on RVs that camp on BLM property. Most of us do. So like many other communities they look to raise monies where they can.

1. The venders have had a raise in the cost for their permit to sell.
2. The governing body wants all the tents to become fixed buildings. This would build up their tax base.
3. Venders could no long work out of their RV. EX: windshield repairs-restring day/night shades and others that come to you.
Many of the venders saying if comes true, they will not come back to Quartzsite.
If 90% of the venders did not come back would the RVs, I do not know, But I will say this If you have never been to Quartzsite do it soon as it may end as it is now. Wow what a happening and I'm glad we got to see it in full swing.

If my comments are in violation sorry just want to let everyone know if they wanted to see Quartzsite do it in the next year or two as it maybe just another BLM RV stop.
That would be a shame. We have yet to see the gathering, but plan to next year. Sometimes regulation ruins everything. Joe
Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
As usual, it's about the bucks. However, I wouldn't count it out just yet. Tens and tens of thousands of travelers have been going there for many years. It seems that change is inevitable, and I've been hearing about Quartsite's demise for years, but it hasn't happened yet. Like I said earlier, I'm goin' next week.... Hope to see you there
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spoke with the NP Ranger and he said "The largest amount of missing RVers are the smaller units, we have only about 50% of normal". Read thread about Tampa Show that the big units are selling $200,000 and higher, Shows the small guy is still not ready to spend his money yet.
Have not walk the Motor Home area yet, that's Monday after the crowd leaves.
Weather has been great, remember 2 years ago was at Tampa Show and the weather was great there but 40-50s in Quartzsite. Has it warmed up over there.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Was 52 last night and pushing 70 in the late afternoon. Look at the Monaco group for some pictures, and there are several other groups here that have stopped by to say hey. Those that went to the big tent Sat. said in the morning it was shoulder to shoulder in the tent(not for me) but the afternoon thinned out. Looks like more RV's this year verses last.

LEN
Old 01-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This isn't new to this year. The increased permit fees and taxes on the Flea Marketer's and others took place a couple years ago. The next year after the tax increase many of the flea marketers did not come back. Last year a lot of them returned. The big complaint was the permit fees took so much off their bottom line that it isn't worth it to open. Some are saying they probably won't come back.

Another change is up until the last couple of years the vendors would show up in November and December, long before the RV Show/Rally itself which was held which is the last couple weeks in January. They would stay until March before pulling out. Now most of them are only opening and staying open during January or maybe through the middle of February.

Also, the RV Dealers have commercialized the town causing a lot of unrest to the flea marketers. They obtained a lot of the land where the Flea Marketers used to set up their tents and now have acres of new and used RV's for sale sitting on this same land. Of course Quartzsite likes this because the dealers pay more tax. You can't blame Quartzsite and/or the county, but at the same time there's a good chance they may have spelled doom for this annual long time event. Some of the rumors flying around are to move the event to Parker or some other town/area that, at least for now, aren't so greedy.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote