Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Unhappy Queen Sheets

We have a short queen bed in our coach, I've been buying standard queen sheets and modifying them to fit. No problems making the bottom fitted sheet six inches shorter, but the top sheet doesn't stay tucked in because of the mattress overhang at the end of the bed. The mattress extends about six inches beyond the plywood base. Last time I stitched the top sheet to the bottom sheet, always had a tangled up mess on laundry day. This time I stitched some velcro to top and bottom sheets near the bottom elastic, will see if that works any better. What is everyone else doing??? Am trying to save a few bucks instead of buying sheets made for the short rv beds.

calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #2

My last cruising boat had an odd shaped berth. I modified a set of King sheets to fit. I solved the problem of the top sheet pulling out by stitching velcro to the bottom and top sheets. I think you will find it will work well. The tangled mess you mentioned by stitching them together won't be solved however as the velcro finds it's mate every time in the dryer. The good news is you can easily pull them apart.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Darn, didn't think about that!!! I also thought about stitching some extra fabric to the bottom of the top sheet to make it long enough to tuck under the mattress and catch the plywood.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Since you already have a queen short mattress, I'm finding it odd the plywood is 6" shorter than the mattress. That would also make it rough to sit on the end of the bed. Is there any reason you could just replace the plywood with some long enough to fully support the mattress?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Not the same issue, but a solution:

Not sure why your mattress hangs 6" over the end of the wood.

We replaced the short queen mattress in our old rv with a standard queen mattress. We wanted the extra length, pillowtop, and needed a new one anyway.

The mattress hung 6"+ off the end of the plywood base due to added length. A new piece of plywood (4'x8') would not fix the problem. It was too short to work. The original piece was longer that 4' and wider than 4'.

Our base was also a storage space. It was hinged near the back of the rv (head of the bed) with a flat piece screwed to the base. The solution was to replace the short piece at the hinge.

I removed the plywood base, hinge, short piece and all. I replaced the shorter, screwed down piece with one that allowed the mattress to fit correctly. I had to relocate the bracing on the underside of the larger piece to fit back into the base, also.

Sheets fit great and the mattress doesn't hang over any more.

It's a bit of work, but worth it in the end.

Mike
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
That's another good idea, making the plywood longer! We can't go with a standard queen length, our mattress bottom comes within inches of touching the drawers when the slide is in now. I've already shortened these sheets. Maybe next summer we can redo the plywood, ours has a hinge for storage too. We're getting stuff ready now to head to Arizona the day after Christmas. Yahoo, can't hardly wait!!! We did a 'practice run' last winter for five weeks to see if we could stand each other living in a tin can. It went well!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I stapled some of the rubber non-skid shelf liner to the top of the plywood at the foot of the bed. Maybe that would help.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the past I have replaced my boat mattresses with a full queen. Our current RV has a full sleep number queen and it overhangs about 3 to 4 inches. The mattress kept slipping down and sheets had the same problem described by OP. I attached a 6 inch foot board with 6 inch angle brackets. Holds the mattress in place as well as the sheets.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Safety pins..... The mattress cover to the mattress; bottom & top sheets to the mattress..... They absolutely stay in place.... Put them down the sides and across the bottom...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Now you're talking! I like the safety pin idea, will try that! Last trip the top sheet came loose and was in a wad around my neck. I knew there would be some good tips!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Safety pins..... The mattress cover to the mattress; bottom & top sheets to the mattress..... They absolutely stay in place.... Put them down the sides and across the bottom...
Do you find the pins tear at the cover/sheets? I move around a lot & would be afraid the squirming & tugging would stress where they attach.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Okay! Here's my suggestion.

They sell "sheet stays." They are like suspenders but single instead of crossed and sewn together. Maybe even just purchasing an individual suspender strap. These both have the snap and hold ends. Attach two suspender straps to the edge of the sheet and towards each end but still about a foot or two towards the center. Cross the straps underneath the mattress and attach to the bottom edge of the fitted sheet. There should be enough pressure on the suspender strap to hold the sheet in place. If you get a long enough set of straps you could go from bottom of top sheet to top part of the edge of the fitted sheet.

I use this same method on my bottom King size sheet on an RV king bed but I do it across from side to side and it hold the bottom she, not fitted , well in place. I don't have a problem with the top of bottom of the sheet as I have a full piece of plywood to tuck the sheet underneath.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Safety pins are fantastic..... No - they don't harm the sheets and the sheets DO NOT MOVE.... Been using this method for years.... I put them about a foot apart all the way around the bottom and about two feet or so up each side....
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Okay! Here's my suggestion.

They sell "sheet stays." They are like suspenders but single instead of crossed and sewn together. Maybe even just purchasing an individual suspender strap. These both have the snap and hold ends. Attach two suspender straps to the edge of the sheet and towards each end but still about a foot or two towards the center. Cross the straps underneath the mattress and attach to the bottom edge of the fitted sheet. There should be enough pressure on the suspender strap to hold the sheet in place. If you get a long enough set of straps you could go from bottom of top sheet to top part of the edge of the fitted sheet.

I use this same method on my bottom King size sheet on an RV king bed but I do it across from side to side and it hold the bottom she, not fitted , well in place. I don't have a problem with the top of bottom of the sheet as I have a full piece of plywood to tuck the sheet underneath.

Happy trails.
Didn't we use the same thing in our Bravos to hook our socks to our shirts to keep the socks up and the shirts tucked in tight?

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote