Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question About NADA

I'm trying to determine the book value of my coach but NADA doesn't show the 400 HP ISL as an option on my 2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD. As I recall, it was a very expensive option but the book now only shows them available with the 350 Cat.

Any insights on why this is the case and how to estimate any additional value the bigger engine might add?

Thanks,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Any coach that was modified when made is hard to pin down for price on NADA. Best that you can do is come close and maybe add a little more for any true options.

By the way ours was way heavily modified when built about 20 yrs ago and also hard to figure out price.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Any coach that was modified when made is hard to pin down for price on NADA. Best that you can do is come close and maybe add a little more for any true options.

By the way ours was way heavily modified when built about 20 yrs ago and also hard to figure out price.
If there were mods done, they were done at the factory and before it ever rolled off the line. I bought it new and the Winnie sticker shows the ISL as a $10,000 option.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

Try looking up the same coach for 2006. When we were buying our 2004 Georgetown, they didn't list it with the Workhorse but they did list our model under 2003. Via Car Fax, we determined that the chassis is indeed a 2003. I believe that they were phasing out the Workhorse chassis.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
Try looking up the same coach for 2006. When we were buying our 2004 Georgetown, they didn't list it with the Workhorse but they did list our model under 2003. Via Car Fax, we determined that the chassis is indeed a 2003. I believe that they were phasing out the Workhorse chassis.
Thanks, that's a good thought but I just checked and no dice for 2006 either.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #6

Rick....this has always been the problem with NADA (as a pricing baseline) as options are considered irrelevant...yet a $10k engine upgrade is a pretty significant upgrade...as is a 2k satellite upgrade, a 3k agua-hot, AGM's, complete service records, new batteries, new tires, solar upgrades, etc. that many of us have added to our MH.

If the purpose of your question is for trade-in/resale this is where your salesman (or you) will have to earn your $$$ in the marketing of your "unique" unit vrs the stipped NADA base. Sorry I can't help with a NADA link for your specific problem....can you call NADA or check with a Winnie/Itasca Dealer for ideas?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been told that NADA determines their values based on actual units being sold - if that option was not a big seller initially, then there may not be ANY similar units that have sold recently to give NADA a hint as to the value.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked PPL Motorhomes to see about the prices of any like yours? They do keep track of RV's that they have sold and what price they were sold at.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys. I think the 400 ISL was fairly common in the 07 Ellipse. I have checked the PPL site and have their recent sales list.

It's a bit strange that NADA wouldn't include it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
NADA may be used by dealers, but NADA has a bad habit of not including options that folks paid for. When I sold my 5th wheel I send NADA an email requesting information on my rig with the options, and asked they include them in their listing. I received an email back, and was told they only include options which are supplied by the manufacturers and if the option is not listed, either the manufacturer failed to list it, or the option was is not considered an upgraded item. I doubt the manufacturers actually give them a list of options. I think NADA only lists 1 model, and is trying the one size fits all approach. If there were a list of manufacturer supplied options, I would not see 3/4 of the stuff they have listed and I am being asked to check box which apply, they would already know, and only list those that were applicable.
I would try to find someone with the printed book, or access to the online Dealers tools and see if it is listed there.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #11

My favourite part of the whole trade-in / resale game & NADA values is best summed-up in the following quote........

"I bought a gas class A nice shape, low miles, and much newer....now I know you can't compare gas to DP, and it was WAY below your price quote, but...using the nada and other sites for reference I got it for about 30% below "low retail". Took a few months of shopping, some travel and looking, but very happy I did."

Everyone expects to buy a (1) super clean, (2) immaculately maintained, (3) fully optioned....USED rig for around 30% below low retail NADA. Ouch! Seems like everyone on this forum site is a world class shopper & professional negotiator. I'm just jealous since I probably overpaid ( somebody has to keep the NADA values up)!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We did buy about $10k less than low NADA. Not that we were great negotiators but because we stumbled on a rig that the owners needed to sell because one was going thru major medical problems. They did not advertise it very well and so not many were seeing it for sale. We were not in a hurry to get one and just kept looking until we found what was right for us.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The online NADA RV Guide does NOT use actual market (sales) data - it is just linear depreciation from the original MSRP. The NADA book that the dealer subscribes to is more detailed and more market driven. You can buy the same book from NADA is you like - it is not secret.

Options don't have much value in an RV because most buyers are unimpressed by them. YOU may feel the ISL vs ISC is a big deal, but chances are many, if not most, used motorhome buyers won't care much, if at all. And that means they won't pay much extra for a rig that has it. Fact is, most buyers will pay more for a larger TV screen than for a larger engine. I'm not saying this is logical - just telling how it is.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Gary. I'm sure that's correct. I guess looking for "logic" was my first mistake.

They go to great pains to ask me if my mirrors are heated and how many CD's my stereo will take, and if I have a VCR of all things... And they add "value" for each but nothing about an option as substantial as a $10K engine upgrade. Hard to believe folks in the market are willing to pay extra for those things and not a bigger engine. IMO, even a system which uses something as simple as a linear depreciation scale should include these options.

Oh well, the NADA value probably doesn't mean a whole lot at the end of the day anyway. It's what someone is willing to pay at the time you want to sell.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD