Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Question about powered awnings and adjustability

With my manual Carefree of Colorado awning, I can adjust the level (height) when extended for more shade and adjust the "tilt" for rain run-off. Do the automatic electric units allow that adjust-ability or do they have an all-out/all-in operation??

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
With my manual Carefree of Colorado awning, I can adjust the level (height) when extended for more shade and adjust the "tilt" for rain run-off. Do the automatic electric units allow that adjust-ability or do they have an all-out/all-in operation??
The automatic awning on our NorthTrail cannot be tilted or adjusted. It sticks straight out. The only adjustable thing is how far out the awning is run. I hate it and wish we had a manual awning.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know about yours, but on the newer Carefree models, there are about 4 or 5 hole positions on the arms that sitck straight out. You can move the pin in each arm to the lowest setting. It will change the angle a fair amount, but nothing like a manual awning.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for that info. I figured I would lose my range of adjustability. Dadgummit, those electric jobs sure look neat and having fought 40MPH winds for control a time or two, I can understand how nice they can be.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
The automatic awning on our NorthTrail cannot be tilted or adjusted. It sticks straight out. The only adjustable thing is how far out the awning is run. I hate it and wish we had a manual awning.
X-2
Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I don't know about yours, but on the newer Carefree models, there are about 4 or 5 hole positions on the arms that sitck straight out. You can move the pin in each arm to the lowest setting. It will change the angle a fair amount, but nothing like a manual awning.
Same with ours. The problem is that it is attached to the side of the coach and must extend over the slide. Therefore it is horizontal and collects water when it rains...and is just about useless.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto,

We have a power awning and I also miss the flexibility of the manual awning. In fact the last time we went out it rained a bit and when I went to put it in...hubby was standing under it and he had an unwanted shower...., but I could not stop laughing....

Faith, Bob and the two wonderpups....
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
when I went to put it in...hubby was standing under it and he had an unwanted shower..
At least he had you to blame. I did that to myself using the remote while standing on the steps. Man, that water was cold.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #9

For me it's a matter of not using the awning at all or have the power awning. I find it a blessing, and I don't have a problem with the water shedding when I close it. It's there, but it's not a problem for me.
Susan
Old 11-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #10

Question

Another question about power awning. We hang a sun shade on ours now and lights. Is there a slot to put these on the new fancy awnings.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
ours, which I think is an A&E (made by dometic?) has a spring loaded pin in each arm to adjust the height and tilt, the way I have it set now, rain runs off to the rear just fine.

It does have a second groove to install a sunshade (gotta get me one of those...) and or tabs, I haven't seen or looked for a third groove...

The awning is VERY high, to clear the slide, or just because DP's are very tall?
Even on it's lowest setting, you would be hard pressed to hang lights or anything on it.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Some of the newer coaches with a passanger-side slide that is long enough, mount the awning to the slide. Our power awning works fine and shades well because it doesn't have to clear the slide. When shopping for a new coach, this was on our must-have list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	28894  
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is attached to the slide and will adjust enough to allow for water runoff. When the sun is setting I cannot get the outside low enough to shade from it so I try to park with the awning side on the east. Yes there is a slot for the extra material. The bigest problem that I have is getting the right adjustment for the wind. It is either to sensitive or banging around.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
All the late model (2002-2005 is "late model" to us) Monaco's that we see advertized have the powered awnings. Jim28730, the awning looks great on your coach. I could live with that. Heck, I can live with whatever we eventually purchase I guess.

Still searching the classifieds in the south east United States of Amerika.