Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #1

Suppose a guy and a gal were traveling around the country, and for whatever reason, decided to overnight at a WalMart. I've heard you are supposed to ask first, but who do you ask? The customer service desk, or do you track down the store manager? Also, if you are calling ahead, do you ask for the service desk? We are planning a extended trip late this fall, and am thinking we may offset some of the cost by taking advantage of WalMarts hospitality by overnighting while traveling between destinations. Will also look into Flying J's, and Cracker Barrel. We have the roadmap with the WalMart listings, and if WalMart is good with the idea, seems like good way to save 25-30 dollars a night.

Believe me, I know WalMarts can be a hot topic, but I'm just looking for a little info from folks with experience. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #2

Suppose a guy and a gal were traveling around the country, and for whatever reason, decided to overnight at a WalMart. I've heard you are supposed to ask first, but who do you ask? The customer service desk, or do you track down the store manager? Also, if you are calling ahead, do you ask for the service desk? We are planning a extended trip late this fall, and am thinking we may offset some of the cost by taking advantage of WalMarts hospitality by overnighting while traveling between destinations. Will also look into Flying J's, and Cracker Barrel. We have the roadmap with the WalMart listings, and if WalMart is good with the idea, seems like good way to save 25-30 dollars a night.

Believe me, I know WalMarts can be a hot topic, but I'm just looking for a little info from folks with experience. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've been travelling this winter and have stopped at various Wal-Marts for lunch and supper. As soon as we enter the lot and find a place to park the security staff come by and ask if we ar planning on staying the night. Based on this experience I'm going to suggest that all you'll need to do is notify the security personnel that you'll be staying overnight.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Old 03-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #4

Last summer we took a 7 week trip up the east coast to MA southwest to Louisianna and back again to FL.

Between campgrounds (chosen and reserved in advance) we stayed at Wal*Mart Supercenters. In most cases I had mapped out our nightly stays well before we left home via my FMCA Atlas (shows Wal Marts and Sams Clubs as well as Flying J and Cracker Barrels).

I called ahead and asked for the store manager to seek permission to stay overnight. In each case I was directed to find a place in the rear of the parking lot. In reality I parked the coach where I thought the manager would agree to then pointed the location out to him or her. Only in one instance did I have to move.

I wanted to call ahead so that I would not be surprised by any local ordinances preventing my stay.

Now here is the real problem: If you stay overnight in a Wal*Mart you are likely to spend more in that store than it costs for one night in a campground. I don't think we ever spent less than $50 per stay!

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #5

I go in and ask cusotmer service if they don't know they will call the manager. Also when I pull in a WalMart and there are several rv's already there I assume it is ok.

Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
Old 03-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
you don't necessarily need to call ahead but you do need to ok it with the store manager. There are many areas that have ordinanced against overnight parking.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Like Digital Boy, we took a 7 week trip last summer, but to the west coast. We stayed 9 nights for free in either Walmarts, Cracker Barrels and one KMart. I use to ask but I don't anymore. It's usually after midnight when I pull in and the store manager is busy getting shelves stocked and trucks unloaded. There is almost always at least one RV in the lot so we just park near them, out of the way. I always make a point of shopping/eating there and I try and find a manager and thank them for their hospitality.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #8

Just a suggestion, but you may want to print out a copy of Escapees Boondocking Etiquette cards (pdf) and not only follow the suggestions but blow one up and post it in the front window of your RV when you "park".
Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
Just a suggestion, but you may want to print out a copy of Escapees Boondocking Etiquette cards (pdf) and not only follow the suggestions but blow one up and post it in the front window of your RV when you "park". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume this was a slam meant for me. So I'll ask....if you pull into a Walmart and there are 6 other RVs already there, do you actually go in and bother the manager to ask if it's OK to park there???

Whenever we avail ourselves of Walmart's hospitality we are driving LONG days along busy interstates. The Walmarts near the interstates tend to attract more RVs than those in remote areas. (Makes sense) I have never been to a Walmart recently where there weren't other RVs already there. (We tend to get in after midnight so we are never the first to arrive).

But thanks anyway for the link. I will take it as a compliment that we practice 8 out of 9.

Peace.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Looks like the Juggler got his answer....gonna close this one.
Closed Thread