Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Question - are we winterizing correctly?

Winterizing question -- here is our process - see any issues with it?

*Empty all water from holding, grey, and black tanks.
*Put 2 gallons of antifreeze (RV) into holding tank.
*Run that 2 gallons through pipes, sink, toilet, shower, etc.
*Pour one gallon into toilet.
*Done.

Next summer we run all that pink antifreeze out with water pump. Fill with clean and run it through a few times through to clear out system of antifreeze and only clear water left.

We only use the water in camper for dishes, toilet, etc - not for drinking.
Thcguy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

I like to blow out w compressed air first but not necessary. When you get pink its full strength...no dilution.
You don't mention water heater?
Flush & Drain.... By pass...
Many use winterizing line vs dumping pink in FW tank...uses less AF
Fuel treatment? Important if gasser
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

We never bring our rig to town so we do not have a compressor - that would be nice.

We do not use a water heater - the valve is closed from holding talk to water heater and tube is pulled out - no water ever goes in that part of travel trailer.

We had an RV guy come out and see if there was a tube coming off the water pump (winterizing line) to put the anti freeze in that way and he says there is not.

It's a pull behind so no engine.
Thcguy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

What if antifreeze gets into the water heater?
04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Laramie, 4X4, 3:73's BFG 285's All Terrain, Putco 4" Boss Bars, Mag Hi-Tec Dbl. Deep Trans Pan and Diff Covers, AFE Cold Air Intake, Rokk Crank Sensor and more junk
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
What if antifreeze gets into the water heater?
Nothing but why would you want to waste 6 gallons of antifreeze?
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

If you are going to keep it and winterize future years its EZ and worth it to install a winterizing kit... 3 way valve that you install just ahead of the pump.
Then youjust throw the valve attach the short hose stick it in a jug of pink and pump the AF to all faucets...done
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I hook up an air compressor to my water intake. I cut off the end of a hose, leaving about three feet. I use an air valve and put tape around the the hose and valve to seal it. I then open one faucet at a time inside and let the compressor do its thing. I make sure all the water is blown out and then go to the next faucet. I drain the hot water heater and the clean water tank. I then pour a little antifreeze into each drain, and the toilet, and I'm done. Total time: About 20 minutes.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bradley View Post
I hook up an air compressor to my water intake. I cut off the end of a hose, leaving about three feet. I use an air valve and put tape around the the hose and valve to seal it. I then open one faucet at a time inside and let the compressor do its thing. I make sure all the water is blown out and then go to the next faucet. I drain the hot water heater and the clean water tank. I then pour a little antifreeze into each drain, and the toilet, and I'm done. Total time: About 20 minutes.
I'm thinking of doing the air compressor this year vs AF...you didn't mention water pump...do you turn it on too to blow out any water in it?
You can buy valve for water intake so why not use it? Am I missing something?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have never done the water pump. Only time I had an issue was when I did nothing. The inside filter under the sink froze and cracked. As for the valve for the water intake. it was pretty simple using a hose I had that was damaged and then wrapping some tape around it and the air hose trigger I use. The air gun only costs a few bucks.

Tags
winter