Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, I'm just exploring. Had a motorcycle twice in my life, once when I was very young and most recently about 2 years ago (Yamaha V-Star Classic). Had an incident in which I was lucky to survive without serious injury so I let the wrecker take the bike and I have not ridden since.

DW now tells me she would ride with me if I got either a trike or bike with sidecar. Here is the deal...we take our dog with us whenever we can and she thinks he would love to ride in the sidecar.

I'd consider a trike but can't figure how I'd get a wife and a 42 lb. dog on it with me. So, a decent bike with a sidecar is an option I'd consider.

My question: how does a sidecar rig handle? I realize you can't lean the bike much so is it pretty much a novelty that you tire of quickly?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
OK, I'm just exploring. Had a motorcycle twice in my life, once when I was very young and most recently about 2 years ago (Yamaha V-Star Classic). Had an incident in which I was lucky to survive without serious injury so I let the wrecker take the bike and I have not ridden since.

DW now tells me she would ride with me if I got either a trike or bike with sidecar. Here is the deal...we take our dog with us whenever we can and she thinks he would love to ride in the sidecar.

I'd consider a trike but can't figure how I'd get a wife and a 42 lb. dog on it with me. So, a decent bike with a sidecar is an option I'd consider.

My question: how does a sidecar rig handle? I realize you can't lean the bike much so is it pretty much a novelty that you tire of quickly?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #3

Smlranger I have ridden motercyles for 38 years. We take the bike as toad rather than CRV about 50% of the time. Just depends where were going,are others comming etc. We don't see ourselves ever giving up riding so plan to buy a trike someday when age dictates. I think you will find that trikes are more often the choice. Seating and comfort are two reasons but there are oters. They build a number of great trikes today Honda or Harley. WE are seven years away from retirement and full timing, when we will buy new MH and take both car and bike.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by becks:
They build a number of great trikes today Honda or Harley..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>.....or BMW.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #5

Sorry Did not mean to leave out Beemers. Great bikes indeed.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
No problem at all - it just gave me an opening to post a photo of a BMW-based trike! Since BMW doesn't sell motorcycles in the U.S. in the volume that Honda or Harley do, many folks aren't aware of what's out there in the BMW marketplace.

As you might expect, there are any number of sidehack rigs available for the BMWs as well.

Rusty

BMW K1200GT - BMWMOA #120519
Old 01-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Beautiful bike, for sure. However, how about my original question about riding/driving a motorcycle with a sidecar? My plan would be to get a nice, used bike (Honda, etc. at least 1100 - 1300 cc) and put a sidecar on it.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Try a Google search on Honda Sidecar. I just ran one, and here's one hit - EZS

Rusty
Old 01-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Gary, sounds like you'll be needing a Stacker!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Bob:

Maybe I need a psychiatrist .
Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I've been riding bikes for more than 35 years and have owned 15 bikes of all makes. However, I've not owned a trike or a sidecar rig. I did have the opportunity to ride both, although it was many years between rides.

The sidecar rig was a Harley and I did not like the way it drove. I determined within a couple of hours of riding the the sidecar setup was not for me.

Many years later, I drove a Honda Goldwing trike. It was better than the sidecar and is probably a little easier to learn to like, however, I still prefer the agility of a motorcycle.

So the only way you will know, is to drive them both. The trike that I drove was a late 80's model. According to people that have new Goldwing trikes, they are better than the ones made 10 years ago. I can't vouch for that but they sure do look nice!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry:

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly understand that a three-wheeled rig is going to handle much differently. From my very limited research, the handling/safety of side car rigs depends on how well the side car matches the bike. As in most things, the more $$$ you spend, the better the stuff gets. Actually, California Sidecar is in my neck of the woods and will fabricate/install a side car (on Gold Wings and some Harley's). They ain't cheap, for sure.

I'd prefer to have a trike but, as I said before, can't get both the DW and the dog on a trike. Bear wants to ride, too

Fortunately, a local community college has three-wheel MSF rider courses in the spring. They provide the trikes/sidecars...two day course. I plan to do that and see for myself.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #13

These things are interesting, and I guess reliability has gotten better. They are 2wd, and could be a side car rig capable of non-paved road exploration.

Ural side car rig

Obviously side car rigs handle differently, and would require some practice to learn it's limits when cornering.

I wonder if the motorcycle safety foundation has any information?

Actually, if you have re-entered motorcycle riding, taking the safety course would be a great refresher no matter what you ride.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Dude, i think from what I've heard you say you might want to step back and re evaluate your possabilities. a side hack is a very difficult piece of equipment to master, it takes years. The harley and honda trikes are nice but very expensive for what they are. If I were you I'd look at a V8 Trike of a VW Trike. Do a search and let me know what you think. I love mt Ecstacy Trike, the wife and dog go along with no problems.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote