Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #1

Question for the Forum

Hi there!

My name is Tabetha and I was hoping I could ask you ALL a quick question for some feedback. My husband, Ron, and I have recently joined the "full timer" arena as of 2012 with out Keystone Hideout travel trailer. Needless to say, we love it! But folks think we're a bit crazy because we tend to go to places others in the RV world choose not to. Examples; Tempe, AZ in August when it's 120 degrees; Bellingham, MA over the winter in sub zero temps; or the sands of Pismo Beach, CA having dinner while the tide rolls in under the chassis!

The question is, does anyone really care about this? Is there an interest out there in the RV community to learn about the in's & out's of "extreme rv'ing"? Are there other full timers that do this too? Do you all travel together or go to extreme weather places at the same time? I mean, every location I just mentioned there were all sorts of others there too, but how common is this?

I thank you very much for any feedback or opinions that can be offered and we look forward to hearing from you!

Tabetha & Ron
Extremerving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. Here's a link to some previous threads that discussed some extreme Rving.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Extr...earch=irv2.com

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy RVing. Do whatever pleases you, and go wherever, and whenever it pleases you. Everything is each to their own.

Check out 4 Season Campers Forum, from either Quebec or Ontario, Canada, for a lot of great info on extreme winter, cold camping in RVs.

Enjoy what you love. Have fun!
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My idea of RVing is being able to avoid places that are unpleasant at certain times of they year. What ever floats your boat.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #5

Hey - I just got an idea for a reality show!!!
People are people and we need people like you guys. People drop from helicopters and snow ski or snow board down very steep mountains. They put on 'flying suits' suites now and jump off cliffs. So your camping is mild by comparison.

My wife and I like to drive thru a local northern campground in winter to see how many campers we see. Even on the coldest day you will see a few at the state park. On a cold Valentines day we saw tent campers.

Like you said, there are other people where you go. My guess is it is young people doing this stuff. That being the case they need to work so trying to organize a group might be difficult.

Whatever you enjoy that does not harm others I say go for it and enjoy !!!
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only issue with what you are doing is with the way a motor home is constructed. Extreme heat can make adhesives soft and thereby fail and a lot of attachments in a an RV are made with adhesives. Most are not insulated well so freezing temps can make water lines freeze and crack as well as brittle plastic that become as brittle as glass in extreme cold.

Letting the surf come up and under your coach could wash out the ground under your wheels and cause corrosion of any metal it comes in contact with.

But hey, it's your life, enjoy it any way you feel you want to.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I say "GO FOR IT". I baby my coach too much to let saltwater flow under the chassis, tires, rims etc. BTW:
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #8

There's no right on wrong on places to go your money and time. But for me,no way would I back on a beach and let salt water flow underneath. I am a clean freak and maybe to protective over my cars and Rv.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #9

Your post just reminded me of this youtube video taken of a trailer pulled through the water on the beach.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Everybody has to do their own thing, that's what makes the RV lifestyle so unique. I personally tend to head in a Southerly direction in the Winter and aim to the North when it warms up a bit...Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Congrats on you fulltiming adventure and to answer your question, I wouldn't worry about what other people do or think. It's your adventure and enjoy it anyway that sattifies you. We've done some extreme things ourselves and really don't care what anyone else thinks about it. Have a great time and enjoy ALL your future adventures.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #12

Welcome. If you're doing what you like (as long as you're not breaking the law or causing harm to anyone or anything), it really doesn't matter what others think. We decided that there will always be people who criticize actions of others & that they are not relevant to us.

Life is to be enjoyed - not endured.

Martha

Tags
forum