Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I look at this thread and ask myself how many responses are to subject. Simple question and various answers off in no where land.
One would need to look at each RV purchase, with several questions involved. Original cost, quality, New, used, and care,plus how good a deal got cut. Percentage wise I would guess the diesel would do a bit better. But very similar quality units, New, should have about the same. I know not a real answer but it would so much depend on the individual coach.

LEN

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smmast View Post
We are wanting to purchase our first RV in the next 6 months. We would like to purchase a pre owned Class A. The question is what depreciates more gas or diesel? I expect that if all goes well this will not be our last but don't want to make a financially foolish decision. Any help appreciated.

I would limit my choices to one of three mfgs:

Tiffin
Winnebago
Fleetwood

Alot of us have done much of your research for you. Do not buy a Thor product. Among the three mentioned, you'll find a floorplan you like while limiting all the confusion about brands. Choose a used rig somewhere in the '05 to'09 era. Mostly the prices will range between 40 and 80k. There will be lots to choose from. Don't buy anything that smells musty/moldy and has any water stains anywhere on the ceiling and no fiberglass de lamination on the sides, front, or back. We started out with a class C and it was a great choice...but that's my own opinion.

Have fun- you'll feel great being bitten by the bug!

Old 08-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm certainly no expert on this, but just common sense tells me that a gasser will depreciate faster because of the limited life expectancy of the engine!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
Owning rvs is the dumbest thing I've ever done financially.
Try owning a boat.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm certainly no expert on this, but just common sense tells me that a gasser will depreciate faster because of the limited life expectancy of the engine!
I don't think engine life expectancy is that big a factor in deprecation.

Except for the few full timers, that travel constantly, engine hours on most MHs are very low. Besides a gas engine is considerably less expensive to rebuild or replace.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Most new owners will not drive enough to even change the spark plugs in a V-10 gas. The engine is reported to be good for a few hundred thousand in the bus and truck side. First spark plug change is around 100,000. Average user drives maybe 5000 miles per year that's 20 years to plug time. ;-)

FWIW to the poster who said:

Tiffin
Winnebago
Fleetwood

You forgot Newmar who ranks with Tiffin. Not sure the other two belong on the list.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #21

Consider the case where you are looking at 2 identical coaches, one gas, one diesel, and both with 80K on the odometer.

Who here would not be more concerned about the gas continuing on with a minimum of service expectations, vs. the diesel? That's the depreciation I'm thinking of. And the difference in what I would be willing to pay, one vs. the other.

What about the same scenario at 100-125K+?

Not likely as big a part of the picture when each have 20-30k miles. Point being, there are different scenarios to consider with this question. As the gas coach approaches 100k, it's value is going to drop much quicker than a diesel coach might.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #22

Frankly the cost of taking the diesel into the shop once could match the total cost of the gasser at either of those points. That is the problem.

If you are buying a first unit and are not a diesel mechanic or OTR truck driver you have a significant learning curve learning to drive diesel along with all the issues of owning a mobile house and it's systems. With a gas unit it costs significantly less for gas and you don't have the diesel side of driving to master. Learn the house then see if you really want to go the high dollar route with a dp. You will lose money on either deal but dollar wise you will pay less and lose less with the gas unit even if you manage to avoid time in a diesel shop.

FWIW we bought a C gas with 105,000 on it and drove it 4 years. Traded it with 116,000 on it. Cost was ~$15,000, trade in was $20,000 on the new unit. I know the funny money side of trade ins but the point is that the unit ran fine while we figured out the ins and outs of owning a motor home. We could have run that one for another several years but we got tired of making up the beds every night. It was a short one with no real bed but a nice rear kitchen and nice closet.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothermark,

I forgot to mention Newmar...sorry. The selection there might be slimmer though depending on where the o.p. lives. Thanks,

Drew

Tags