Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #1

Question from a newbie

We are wanting to purchase our first RV in the next 6 months. We would like to purchase a pre owned Class A. The question is what depreciates more gas or diesel? I expect that if all goes well this will not be our last but don't want to make a financially foolish decision. Any help appreciated.
Smmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

If you are going to purchase at the end of a 6 month period you will need to do a lot of homework everyday. The most important is first to know what and how you will use the motorhome for. then, what systems and accessories will support that use. Then understanding it limitations and shortfalls for specific units you may finally be considering. I spent five years research on the one I bought 15 years ago; it was worth every minute.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #3

To answer your question, as far as depreciation, gasoline. If you buy a fixer-upper, diesel can cost you thousands and you won't gain a thing.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I think they all tend to depreciate about the same MOL.

Let's face it......If you're spending a good chunk of your money it's probably not a "good" financial decision.

Buy the best used MH you can. If you have to sell it you are going to lose some money most likely.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

This is your first RV. Buy a good quality used....better RV for your money.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

Long term, I think maybe the diesel will hold a higher value. Problem figuring depreciation though, is that they cost more going into the deal.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Check the water bfore you jump in.

It might be a good idea to rent one for a short trip just to see if that's what you want to do.
It would give you an idea of what to expect if and when you buy one.
Check the water before you jump in so to speak.
Just a thought
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

Gas might depreciate more as a per cent, diesel will in real dollars because you will start higher for the same model year.

There is a lot of buy your first RV last advice. It would be wonderful if you could. Reality is that your first RV will be a huge learning experience so my thought would be to buy used from a deal that will give you a good walk through and do the work you find when you inspect it before purchasing. Consider it as a trade in for your second RV after you have significant experience under your belt.

With rentals running over a thousand a week I am not a big fan of doing that. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #9

dumb financial move

Owning rvs is the dumbest thing I've ever done financially. It costs about $150 night ( no one will admit it) to sleep in my own bed. I wash and make up the bed. I scrub the toilet. I spend hours looking for and receiving mediocre service. It will depreciate down to zero. I don't know why I do it.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
Owning rvs is the dumbest thing I've ever done financially. It costs about $150 night ( no one will admit it) to sleep in my own bed. I wash and make up the bed. I scrub the toilet. I spend hours looking for and receiving mediocre service. It will depreciate down to zero. I don't know why I do it.
I'm so sorry you have lost your way...If you do a thing and you don't like it....stop doing it.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Which one will depreciate more is pointless to consider. There are way bigger mistakes to be made while choosing gas or diesel. And there are many many threads on the subject. The questions are what can I afford, what do I want and need, can I get what I want in a gasser or do I have to step up to a diesel. Do I buy a used gasser. Do I pay $100,000 for a new gasser or $100,000 for a top of the line used diesel. Can I pay cash or do I need to finance. And YES you will make a financially foolish decision if you buy an RV. There are many things more important than money, Rving is one of them.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This is your first RV. Buy a good quality used....better RV for your money.
Agree.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If mamma does not like the floor plan and the interior in general, depreciation will be the least of your worries. If you both do not like the inside, it will soon sit unused. Period.

Six months is a good amount of time to go to shows, visit dealers, talk to fellow rv'ers at local campgrounds, ask questions on forums like this. Consider renting an RV of the sort you think you may want from a dealer for a few days. You will learn much.

The finances are important, yes, but if you are unhappy with the living accommodation, the money will be wasted no matter how good the deal seems.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 AM   #14

And most all of them beat a tent on a cold rainy day! ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags