Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

Just a suggestion: take the MH millage at the standard rate, and take the car at the trailer rate. Any miles driven on the car will be on the odometer, and can also be taken at the standard rate.

Is that too logical to work?

Tom

TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #16

Miles is miles "DRIVEN" - note that the standard auto deduction takes fuel into consideration and you aren't using any fuel when towing. I would NOT deduction miles except when driven for business purpose. JMHO

Old 07-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #17

A few months ago a very similar question arose about deducting the MH expenses when it is used for business purposes. The conclusion from that thread was, it must be used strictly for business, you can't sleep/live in it while claiming the business deduction. I can't remember if that thread was here on irv2.com or on escapees.com
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A few months ago a very similar question arose about deducting the MH expenses when it is used for business purposes. The conclusion from that thread was, it must be used strictly for business, you can't sleep/live in it while claiming the business deduction. I can't remember if that thread was here on irv2.com or on escapees.com
I'm not sure where you may have seen that, but it is inaccurate. A recent court case was one where the individuals claimed an office in home deduction for the motorhome. They lost because there was no "separate and dedicated" office space within the motorhome. Personally I think they used the wrong tactic to get the deduction, but when you look at the details of the case, those taxpayers were really pushing the envelope.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVJeeper View Post
Miles is miles "DRIVEN" - note that the standard auto deduction takes fuel into consideration and you aren't using any fuel when towing. I would NOT deduction miles except when driven for business purpose. JMHO
I have pretty much decided not to take the deduction for the toad while being towed, however, a few comments:

I'm not sure where the "DRIVEN" is coming from, perhaps you can enlighten me with a specific reference from the IRS. I too thought that it was miles "DRIVEN", but in my perusal of the IRS regs, I have not been able to find anywhere that is states miles "DRIVEN". It states "BUSINESS USE" over and over again, but if you can point to the specific reference you are referring to, from the IRS regs, I would appreciate it.

On the comment regarding towing not being for business. If we didn't have the stock and equipment that is loaded into the toad along with us, we would not be able to conduct our business when we reached the Art Shows. The items carried in our toad are necessary and ESSENTIAL to our being able to conduct our business. That leads to another comment regarding trailer mileage deduction . . .

What is the trailer mileage deduction? Once again, I am not familiar with that from the IRS regs. I find referenced to "tractor-trailer" "house trailer". and "rental trailer", but nothing for deducting mileage on a trailer you own. (please refer to SPECIFIC section and/or IRS regulations in your reply) All other references are just talk!

I like to look at things from the standpoint that I am in the office with the auditor, and stating "a 2nd cousin's ex hairdressers boyfriend once said . . . blah, blah, blah" probably won't hold water, but if I can go in and reference either a specific court case, such as Robert D. Shirley v Commr., TC Memo 2004-188 or a specific IRS reg, than I probably have a good chance of substantiating my argument.

Any comments would be appreciated (especially with references!)
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

To the best of my knowledge, the IRS has no standard rate for trailer miles. Trailers are not typically deducted on a use (miles) basis - the entire trailer is either expensed (written off in one year) or depreciated as a capital goods item. If the trailer is used only partially for business, it can be prorated (50/50 or whatever is appropriate). You can also use actual expenses for trailer maintenance, e.g. cost of tires or repairs, again pro-rated if split between business and personal.

The IRS mileage rates were created for motor vehicles, i.e. it includes fuel expense, oil changes, etc. associated with a powered vehicle. The IRS pubs all state car or truck - nothing about trailers.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
To the best of my knowledge, the IRS has no standard rate for trailer miles. Trailers are not typically deducted on a use (miles) basis - the entire trailer is either expensed (written off in one year) or depreciated as a capital goods item. If the trailer is used only partially for business, it can be prorated (50/50 or whatever is appropriate). You can also use actual expenses for trailer maintenance, e.g. cost of tires or repairs, again pro-rated if split between business and personal.

The IRS mileage rates were created for motor vehicles, i.e. it includes fuel expense, oil changes, etc. associated with a powered vehicle. The IRS pubs all state car or truck - nothing about trailers.
Gary has it right. Trailers are treated just as any other capitalized personal property. No mileage rate is available. It's expensed based on business usage percentage.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I have pretty much decided not to take the deduction for the toad while being towed, however, a few comments:

I'm not sure where the "DRIVEN" is coming from, perhaps you can enlighten me with a specific reference from the IRS. I too thought that it was miles "DRIVEN", but in my perusal of the IRS regs, I have not been able to find anywhere that is states miles "DRIVEN". It states "BUSINESS USE" over and over again, but if you can point to the specific reference you are referring to, from the IRS regs, I would appreciate it.
I found it in less than 2 minutes:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/New-...-Rise-in-2015:
57.5 cents per mile for business miles driven, up from 56 cents in 2014
23 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes, down half a cent from 2014
14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
Old 07-25-2015, 12:49 AM   #23

Carolina Campers
Question: IRS Tax deduction for Motor home & Toad

Hummm.... If you start the car and let it run as you towed it, you would actually be recording the mileage on both vehicles. Therefore you would have an accurate mileage accounting on the odometer of both vehicles. The odometer will record the mileage when the engine is running...

Regardless, you could run the risk of being out if compliance with the intent to defraud even though your mileage is correct on both vehicles...

On the other hand, if you drove the RV and your spouse drove the car, versus towing it, then you would probably be able to claim the mileage for both vehicles without an issue.

Ted
Old 07-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #24

Also tire warranty issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVJeeper View Post
I found it in less than 2 minutes:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/New-...-Rise-in-2015:
57.5 cents per mile for business miles driven, up from 56 cents in 2014
23 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes, down half a cent from 2014
14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
GVJeeper, Thanks for the assist, maybe I was delving too deeply in the regs, but I didn't catch the word "driven" on that page.

We're going to stick to claiming the deduction for the mileage the toad actually has a person behind the wheel, although I still feel that the mileage towed is still putting wear and tear on the vehicle.

Wow, that brings up another issue. I can see a tire seller not honoring a mileage warranty on a vehicle that has a base plate installed on the grounds that the total mileage on the tires is not being documented on the odometer! They could legitimately argue that the tire may be beyond it's warranty mileage and there is no way of knowing. Another can of worms . . . . guess we should just go fishing!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad