Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Question on Colorado weather

General question for anyone familiar with the weather and road conditions particularly on I-70 from Grand Junction to Denver. Reason for asking is I have to fly out to Grand Junction, rent a car and drive to Rifle to pick up a car MIL is buying, and drive it back to Michigan. Kind of understand that weather can change quickly in the mountains. All this most likely taking place in the next couple of weeks, so 12/8-12/15. Thanks in advance.
uncledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

If you can handle Michigan roads in winter, you can handle Colorado and all the states in between. Just check the weather reports and plan accordingly. If you don't like the conditions, find a place to hole up until they pass.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #3

Check out this link for current road conditions.

https://www.codot.gov/travel

Also check out their twitter account for additional information.
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

I've lived in Colorado for almost 7 years now. We live closer to Colorado Springs than we do Denver. However, I can tell you a little about I-70 driving. If it's not snowing, you'll be fine. If it's snowing....a lot.....you'll be required to put chains on your tires if you want to drive on I-70. Chains used to be required only of truckers, but 1-2 years ago they started requiring it of cars when it's snowing because there was so many accidents that would shut down the interstate. Weather can be somewhat difficult to predict out here as a change in altitude makes all the difference in how much snow you'll get. It's not unusual for I-70 to be shut down in certain areas during snow storms. Driving in the mountains during a snow storm is nothing like driving in a snow storm back in the northern Indiana/southern Michigan where I'm from. I'm originally from northern Indiana (South Bend/Elkhart area) and we would get lake affect snow all the time. I've got a lot of relatives in lower Michigan so I use to drive up to the Kalamazoo area all the time too. It's fairly flat land where I'm from in northern Indiana and is much easier to drive in than driving in the mountains during a snow storm.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #5

Just keep a close eye on the weather--use the 5-day forecast on most internet weather websites. When you pick up the car, check everything again and if snowing in mountains, sit it out somewhere. You also do not want to be in eastern CO if it is snowing and the wind is blowing hard, so just getting out of the mountains doesn't mean you wont encounter snow.
Weather reports for big snow events are getting very good at predicting what is going to happen, but it can snow in the CO mtns just about any day there are thunderclouds.
You'll be fine, just watch the weather reports.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
I've lived in Colorado for almost 7 years now. We live closer to Colorado Springs than we do Denver. However, I can tell you a little about I-70 driving. If it's not snowing, you'll be fine. If it's snowing....a lot.....you'll be required to put chains on your tires if you want to drive on I-70. Chains used to be required only of truckers, but 1-2 years ago they started requiring it of cars when it's snowing because there was so many accidents that would shut down the interstate. Weather can be somewhat difficult to predict out here as a change in altitude makes all the difference in how much snow you'll get. It's not unusual for I-70 to be shut down in certain areas during snow storms. Driving in the mountains during a snow storm is nothing like driving in a snow storm back in the northern Indiana/southern Michigan where I'm from. I'm originally from northern Indiana (South Bend/Elkhart area) and we would get lake affect snow all the time. I've got a lot of relatives in lower Michigan so I use to drive up to the Kalamazoo area all the time too. It's fairly flat land where I'm from in northern Indiana and is much easier to drive in than driving in the mountains during a snow storm.
Thx Dmrad. The chains I hadnt thought about. Glad you mentioned ed them.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miked2145 View Post
Check out this link for current road conditions.

https://www.codot.gov/travel

Also check out their twitter account for additional information.
Thx for the link!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #8

I looked up the chain laws for you....here it is copied and pasted.

Passenger Vehicle Traction & Chain Laws

If weather conditions require, CDOT can implement Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws. Motorists will be alerted to an active Traction or Chain Law by highway signage, COtrip.org or GovDelivery notifications — to sign up for GovDelivery emails and/or text notifications, click here .
Traction Law (Code 15)
During an active Traction Law, also known as a Code 15, motorists will need to have either snow tires, tires with the
mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle — all tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.
Find out if your tires meet the minimum one-eighth inch tread requirement by taking the Quarter Test.
Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16)
During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, also known as a Code 16 — this is the final safety measure before the highway is closed. During a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, every vehicle on the roadway is required to have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).
Fines
Motorists driving with inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law could be fined more than $130.
If a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law, they could be fined more than $650.
To download a Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Law fact sheet, click here.
Click here to view a printable version of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Law.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
I looked up the chain laws for you....here it is copied and pasted.

Passenger Vehicle Traction & Chain Laws

If weather conditions require, CDOT can implement Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws. Motorists will be alerted to an active Traction or Chain Law by highway signage, COtrip.org or GovDelivery notifications — to sign up for GovDelivery emails and/or text notifications, click here .
Traction Law (Code 15)
During an active Traction Law, also known as a Code 15, motorists will need to have either snow tires, tires with the
mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle — all tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.
Find out if your tires meet the minimum one-eighth inch tread requirement by taking the Quarter Test.
Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16)
During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, also known as a Code 16 — this is the final safety measure before the highway is closed. During a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, every vehicle on the roadway is required to have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).
Fines
Motorists driving with inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law could be fined more than $130.
If a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law, they could be fined more than $650.
To download a Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Law fact sheet, click here.
Click here to view a printable version of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Law.
Thx Dmrad. Good info.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #10

As Background, I've lived here 40 Years. Drove I-70 a lot, due to building this Retirement House p/t over a Decade.

If possible, I would rent only a Cross-over type of AWD Vehicle with Mud/Snow rated Tires. Da Wife drives a Ford Escape. Otherwise, you can get stuck on modest Inclines, like Off-Ramps, if stopped. You may not be able to get started again.

Life is different on I-70 up at the Eisenhower Tunnel @ ~11,000', or on Vail Pass @ ~10,400'. Surfaces Ice up from Pine Tree shade, for example...

Good advice here on watching CO Traffic Advisories, and viewing the many Webcam Links at that Site. Of course, look several Days out at Weather on the InterWebz. Keep that Tank gassed up because Hours-long delays from crashes can have you sitting still. If things get dicey, beat out your Competition, and grab a Motel Room. They fill up fast.

- CoTrip Webcams -

- Weather Underground -> Vail CO -

Pick & choose from some suggestions here...

- Colorado Emergency Driving Kit -

Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if rental cars out here have chains furnished, if not you can get chains at a lot of places.
There is a Walmart Supercenter about 18 minutes from the airport that will have them. If you get a car with GPS here is the address. 2545 Rimrock Ave, Grand Junction, CO 81505
If not there are several ways to get there.
The simplest is probably to come out of the airport and take Horizon Drive off the rotary/round-about. Take Horizon to I70 west and take it to the 24 road exit. Get on I70 business loop/50/6 towards Grand Junction. Walmart will be on the right a 1 1/2 mile or so.

Or take Horizon under I70 through two adjoining rotaries and on a couple of miles to another rotary and take 12th street to Patterson/F Road off that rotary. Turn right on Patterson then left on 25 road. Take 25 Road to rt 50 and turn left. Walmart will be on the right a 1/2 mile or so.

You could buy them at home if you know the rental car tire size but then you would have to mess with them as baggage.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Guy View Post
As Background, I've lived here 40 Years. Drove I-70 a lot, due to building this Retirement House p/t over a Decade.

If possible, I would rent only a Cross-over type of AWD Vehicle with Mud/Snow rated Tires. Da Wife drives a Ford Escape. Otherwise, you can get stuck on modest Inclines, like Off-Ramps, if stopped. You may not be able to get started again.

Life is different on I-70 up at the Eisenhower Tunnel @ ~11,000', or on Vail Pass @ ~10,400'. Surfaces Ice up from Pine Tree shade, for example...

Good advice here on watching CO Traffic Advisories, and viewing the many Webcam Links at that Site. Of course, look several Days out at Weather on the InterWebz. Keep that Tank gassed up because Hours-long delays from crashes can have you sitting still. If things get dicey, beat out your Competition, and grab a Motel Room. They fill up fast.

- CoTrip Webcams -

- Weather Underground -> Vail CO -

Pick & choose from some suggestions here...

- Colorado Emergency Driving Kit -

Thx engineer.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Realize that if a big snowstorm happens, they may close the interstate for a while. Be prepared for spending the night in a hotel or shelter, just in case. Note that the
hotels/motels fill up if the road closes which is why I say a shelter is a possibility. It isn't common, but it is best to have flexibility in your schedule in the mountains during winter! I have been on I-70 where we were driving 20 mph for well over 2 hours, and we have a 4WD truck with chains (if needed). Haven't been on it when chains were required in addition to 4WD, but they sometimes are.

On the plus side, the mountains can be glorious after a fresh snowfall, so enjoy the ride.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #14

Thanks to all for info and advice. Leaving with a co-pilot (buddy) tomorrow bright and early. Plan to make it to North Platte, NE before stopping for some shuteye. Would like to make it into Rifle by Thursday afternoon and leave again on Friday morn for Denver to see if we can beat any of the forecasted snow they show for the end of the week/weekend in the mountains. We don't have any specific agenda or schedule as we are both retired, so if we happen to get stuck somewhere, we will just make it an adventure!
uncledon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado