Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Question on Winterizing Your Faucet Valves?

When you’re winterizing your RV in cold climates what position do you leave all of your faucet valves (showers, sinks) in during storage for the winter?

I read an article today that said you should leave them closed but my experience has taught me to always leave them open as on occasion you can have trapped water in the valve can make the burst.

I have had this proven to me on more than one occasion living here in Wisconsin.
What are your thoughts and experiences......
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I do believe that I have always kept them closed. I used to just blow out all of the lines really well and that worked fine. This year, I blew them out and ran the pink thru them as added precautions. We have a washing machine now so that was the primary reason. I think as long as you have done all of the above weather they are open or closed it would not matter. But just IF you had any water in there then leaving them open might keep from getting a busted line... MIGHT
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroethke View Post
When you’re winterizing your RV in cold climates what position do you leave all of your faucet valves (showers, sinks) in during storage for the winter?

I read an article today that said you should leave them closed but my experience has taught me to always leave them open as on occasion you can have trapped water in the valve can make the burst.

I have had this proven to me on more than one occasion living here in Wisconsin.
What are your thoughts and experiences......
I also leave mine open, until Jan. when I get it South of I-40.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
The only issue I could see is that, with the faucet valves open and air free to enter, you might have a syphon situation develop over the winter IF the check valve on the water pump wasn't bubble tight. If the valves to both the fresh water tank and the anti-freeze pickup tube are closed, this might not be a big deal, but if not, one could end up with anti-freeze in the fresh water tank or on the floor.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #5

Close mine after running antifreeze thru them.
If your thinking that would give expanding ice a place to go, I dont think it would work.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I also winterize a lot of summer homes that I take care of for snow birds and we always leave them open just in case. Been doing this for 20+ years here in Wisconsin so when I read this article on PPL site I was taken back. As I said I have learned this the hard way on Cottages, Pop up, TT's, Class A.

It may just be me but I will keep my valves open unless I am trying to keep the RV antifrezze from draining out. Lol
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
A couple weeks ago I looked at several you tube videos done by RV dealers and manufacturers on winterization. I did not remember any of them opening up the valves as a final step, so since your post I decided to go back and look at a few of those.
None of the dealerships or manufacturers had you re-open the valves. I think one mentioned how it lubricates seals also. I will post one of the links which covers both methods, air and pink including the washer. That is one from Keystone
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been winterizing my mountain cabins, boats, and now my coach for many years. After I get done winterizing the entire system, I open all of the faucets. One, if by the most remote chance it gets so cold the antifreeze freezes, there is no pressure on the system. The antifreeze will leak out. Secondly, in the same situation, if the faucets are closed and something bursts, you don't have pink stuff all over, which if left over time will stain carpet.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #9

And if the tap is open and it bursts, it's somehow going to come out of the tap .
Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
And if the tap is open and it bursts, it's somehow going to come out of the tap .
If you leave the tap open, it won't burst. It gives the ice someplace to go... Into the sink.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #11

Good luck with that .
Old 11-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Good luck with that .
No need to be sarcastic... The question by the original poster was do you leave your faucets open or keep them closed... I stated the advantages of leaving them open. You on the other hand have not answered the question with any rational reason why you leave them closed...
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
No need to be sarcastic... The question by the original poster was do you leave your faucets open or keep them closed... I stated the advantages of leaving them open. You on the other hand have not answered the question with any rational reason why you leave them closed...
X2
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #14

Leave em open if you like. Makes no diference to me!
I leave a garden hose full of water outside in the winter. Never once found the ice migrating out the open end!

Tags
winter

« Tire help | Fishing »