Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #15

Thank you guys for all of your input. We have decided to go with a travel trailer. It's a 2006 Fun Finder x139. After much research, the motorbike was just not feasible for us right now.

I am sure that I will have more questions and updates as I go along.

Happy Camping.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #16

Alright you guys, I've had the camper for 2 weeks and I'm finally getting to go use it. I'm going to a spot really close to home, but still feels like a campground and has all the hookups. I really want to use the hookups so I know how. Especially flushing the tanks. I have this unrealistic fear that I'll be somewhere and push the wrong button and end up spraying nearby fun-seekers with waste.

I don't have a manual because it's used and the brochure is useless. Who loses their camping manual? Ug.

Which brings me to my questions...Do I leave the tank things closed until they're at the "full" point before I empty them? I know black first, grey second, but I purposely picked a site close to the potty so I probably won't use it much, except for testing.

Then...since I'm going to be on the campground water supply (I have all the hookups) is there something special that I have to do with my water tanks? I will not be filling them and I don't want to mess up the water heater. Does it know that it's hooked up to pressurized water so it doesn't have to use the pump? Does that make sense?

Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you're getting a chance to take it out!

Most recommend that the black tank be at least 3/4 full before dumping so you get a really strong "whoosh" to help clean it out. I usually add fresh water to get it that full first because I dump much more frequently than most. Once dumped, add a few gallons of water to ensure solids disolve. If you have a flush attachment on your rig it makes this much easier.

Many (including me) will often times leave the grey tank valve open while set up so that showers, etc just drain directly to the dump. Not many problems reported from this but after >4 years my black tank sensors still work fine but my grey tank sensors read full all the time so......

When you connect to city water, I'd run water for a while through all faucets... hot and cold to ensure all the air is out of the lines, P traps are full, and the water heater is full. If you turn your water heater on without water in it first.... it can be bad.

Good luck. Have fun. .. and quit freeking out. It'll all be fine.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Glad you're getting a chance to take it out!

Most recommend that the black tank be at least 3/4 full before dumping so you get a really strong "whoosh" to help clean it out. I usually add fresh water to get it that full first because I dump much more frequently than most. Once dumped, add a few gallons of water to ensure solids disolve. If you have a flush attachment on your rig it makes this much easier.

Many (including me) will often times leave the grey tank valve open while set up so that showers, etc just drain directly to the dump. Not many problems reported from this but after >4 years my black tank sensors still work fine but my grey tank sensors read full all the time so......

When you connect to city water, I'd run water for a while through all faucets... hot and cold to ensure all the air is out of the lines, P traps are full, and the water heater is full. If you turn your water heater on without water in it first.... it can be bad.

Good luck. Have fun. .. and quit freeking out. It'll all be fine.

rick
+1 on the tank being at least 3/4 full before dumping. DO NOT EVER leave the tank valves open. Let the waste fill the tanks, then dump them. This goes for grey and black.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #19

I carry a Kotulas oven. I bake bread and muffins. Never eat store stuff. so oven is must for me if it is a long trip.

Run genny while driving?

A TC'er told me he runs his honda on a hitch rack with a boat gas tank hooked up and all chained down.

I got no A/C, so just need enuf juice for my fan.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #20

Excellent! Thank you guys for the input. I wish a more seasoned camper were going with me. :( I don't want to share, I just want to know how to use all of my stuff from my friendly neighborhood camper.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you run into something you can't figure out and don't want to screw up, ask a neighbor. I have never run into someone who would not jump at the chance to display his skills at RVing. It's much easier for someone to help you in person than over the intrnet, because you can point and ask "What's that thingamagiggy". Of course there is always the chance you will ask someone with no more experience than you. Have a great trip.

Glenn
Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
What Glen said. As I'm sure you know from your previous camping, campers are the nicest and friendlyest people around. Run into something, ask your neighbor.