Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #1

Questions for the Experienced...

Hi all - Brand new member here. Am I glad I found this site! I'm sure with the recent purchase of our "new" motorhome, I will have lots of questions and who else better to get them answered than the people who KNOW!

My first question has to do with the house batteries. The guy we bought our motorhome from wired the stereo, TV, etc. directly into the house batteries as opposed to the ignition. Is it okay to drive the motorhome with the house batteries on?

Second question: Is it okay to drive the motorhome with the generator running or is this a no no?

I think that's it for now. Thank you for ANY info!

Mari D
MariD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #2

Neither one will hurt anything. Most of us use the generator t times while driving, no issues. As long as the stereo and TV are wired properly, and fused, it won't hurt. TheThey may slowly run the batteries down if they are remote controlled (receivers are "always on" in this case, but no harm running with house batts on (I always do). Enjoy your new coach.
04Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #3

Welcome Mari, you have found a very good rv forum. If this is your first motorhome you're going to learn a ton in the first few weeks of ownership. I sure did, on both of mine actually. As far as the wiring goes, there are tons of different ways things get wired in these rigs. I'm guessing the tv and stereo you are talking about are 12 volt items? They likely are wired into the coach, or house, batteries. Then there should be a chassis battery (or maybe two?) that likely are wired only to start the engine and generator. That's how it's most often done I think. Then sometimes they put a relay in so once the engine is running it will charge up the house batteries as well as the chassis battery. Or sometimes there is a large switch that ties them all together if you want to. When the engine is off you may not want that chassis battery tied to the house batteries in case you ran them down while watching tv or something you wouldn't be able to start the motor or generator.

No problem driving down the road running the generator. Some people think it actually is more efficient to run the generator and roof air than using the engine (dash) a/c. I like to use the roof air to keep the whole house cool and the dash air just doesn't put out enough on a hot day for that.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MariD; Welcome to iRV2. There are many ways these things can be wired. To get the best information on your particular RV please add the make, model, year and chassis to your signature. Enjoy
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Advise ..... Ten cents ....

One. I hope your entertainment devises are not wired directly to your house batteries. Usually they are wired in the ''120 volt'' wiring of your coach unless they are 12 volt devices. My guess is that they are wired thru your ''inverter''(the thingie that converts 12 volts to 120 volts) and when you are on ''shore power'' they run on shore power.
Two. It is fine to run your generator out on the road. Most of us run it to operate our roof air conditioners.
Three. DO NOT WATCH TELEVISION WHILE DRIVING. In some states it is against the law to have the TV playing while you are on the road.
If this is your first coach, you got a lot to learn.
A. Make a list of everything that will not work in the coach.
B. If possible, take video of stuff that will not work like they should work.
C. Dont be afraid to ask fellow campers questions. I once met a couple that were not shown how to empty their tanks and they had no idea as to how to put water in the water tank......
D. Buy a tool kit. Get one at Auto Zone with all the ''basic tools'' in it. about a hundred bucks ......

Since you are new, all this valuable information will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me...........
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote