Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #29

Thinking maybe I should do a 500 shot of NOS next time I encounter a DP on a hill

Seriously thought... My 08 Bounder 38p workhorse vs my soon to be X I laws 40ft 2009 discovery.... They would walk or run away from me on any incline. I wouldn't use cruise due to not wanting the RV to shift down to much... Better mpg that way and even if I did give it full throttle, I couldn't keep up. Their toad was a Ford Escape vs my wrangler unlimited....

The ride and noise didn't bother me one but on my Bounder however going longer on fill ups and also being able to use truck stops to fill up is the biggest reason I will get a DP next.

One of the reasons I went with the workhorse is its trans brake.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #30
IC2

Kinda fun thread .......
I've recently (over 3 years) with two different trucks and 20 to 22,000 pounds combined weight. An '06 V10 gasser which did just fine up long steep hill but for sure wouldn't win any race before it ran out of gear shifts to that terminal 50-60 mph speed. Now it's an '11 diesel. That one doesn't run out of gear shifts plus it will make it to the top of most hills going as fast as I want it to - up to my usual 65mph or a LOT faster if that was my quest. The diesel with the 39 gallon fuel tank would do that hill climb at the usual 12-13 mpg while that gasser, at 6-7mpg on a 28 gallon tank (you planned your next gas stop just as you were leaving a gas station). If I really feel the need for speed, my avatar car fills that out very well

Old 11-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Thinking maybe I should do a 500 shot of NOS next time I encounter a DP on a hill
Hmm.... yes, maybe NOS is the answer for the gassers!! I wonder if any manufacturers include this on their options list???
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #32

Heck most of you guys drive 65 or under so I think a 4 cylinder out of a old pinto would be more than you need Oh that's right you've got to haul all your crap and your luxury suv to drive to the store, better make it a v6 out of a ranger...
Old 11-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Heck most of you guys drive 65 or under so I think a 4 cylinder out of a old pinto would be more than you need Oh that's right you've got to haul all your crap and your luxury suv to drive to the store, better make it a v6 out of a ranger...
I don't care who you are thats funny right there.
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As long as the engine is outside of the pinto. I won't drive the pinto, but I'll try to get the engine to light my fire.

(See what I did there?)
Old 11-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #35

I don't care who's faster than me.

.....I have a hot wife.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post

.....I have a hot wife.
Pics man, pics!...
Old 11-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post

.....I have a hot wife.
Perhaps she can be the starter for the race.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Race? I'll win by doing 65mph with 1000+ miles on one tank.
Nuff said!
Win what? I see alot of diesel guys talk the talk... but never seen one test the limits of their fuel economy.
I can guarantee you wont be seeing double digit fuel economy.
My gasser has gone 550 miles on a tank... towing a trailer at that.

Diesel pickup owners are even funnier. Never has "operational cost" been in such denial. Fuel pumps, oil pumps, injectors...etc.

Sure diesel rigs are nice... but the repair bills are not. And there is no denying they are expensive to operate & repair.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #39

I will take the Pinto engine for a pony motor to start the diesel engine.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Sure diesel rigs are nice... but the repair bills are not. And there is no denying they are expensive to operate & repair.
You're implying they will need expensive repairs, but that is not always the case, just like a gas engine.

I plan to drive mine a half a million miles. It's easily capable of that, if not much more. It might take me thirty years, but it could be done, with good care and maintenance. And after half a million miles, the engine will still likely be worth more than the same vehicle equipped with a gas engine.

If I was concerned about the potential cost of repairs, I picked the wrong lifestyle.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #41

Just a thought about the economics of diesel, could all those large trucks, UPS, Fed Ex, etc. be wrong? Perhaps if they re-evaluated they could be making more money if they switched to gas? I somehow think they know what they're doing.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 11-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Just a thought about the economics of diesel, could all those large trucks, UPS, Fed Ex, etc. be wrong? Perhaps if they re-evaluated they could be making more money if they switched to gas? I somehow think they know what they're doing.

Just my 2c.

Steve
You are referencing the exact model that makes a diesel more economical. Being driven 8,10, 12 hours a day, every day, and 10s of thousands a miles a year.

Motor homes are exactly the opposite in most cases. Driven a few thousand miles a year, and sitting for days or months on end.

Sure there are the uses for a diesel powered coach that meet that model too, race teams, entertainers, etc., where the coach goes back and forth across the country on a regular basis which is why they often have commercial based busses (Prevost for instance). Or of course, the few that really need the pulling capacity.

Otherwise, it's just the mass of a 38-45' coach that demands a diesel's power to move it today, it's not necessarily a more economical or practical power train for most motor homes as they are used my most people....

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, diesel, gas