Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Race - Gasser vs. Diesel

There was recently another post here about one RV "racing" another RV up a hill. There are no shortage of these and they are often in the context of "gasser's are way faster than diesels" or something along those lines.

I thought I'd start a thread where people could get this out of their system.

In my opinion (which is VERY opinionated), this "racing" concept is one of the silliest things on the planet. However; it does seem to be the culture of the day as, when driving anything, everyone is in a race to get in front of the guy ahead of them. I refuse to participate in this race (I think it is called "the rat race") but I suspect I belong to the minority. In any case…

I wonder if the participants of these "gas vs. diesel uphill races", or any RV races for that matter, are conducting the race appropriately. Firstly, it seems to me that both RV's need to be loaded to nearly the same weight. Secondly, it would seem fair if BOTH participants knew that it was a race and both agreed to participate.

Take NHRA funny car driver John Force for example. Can you imagine his excitement (and he is an excitable fellow) after making a run with his 300 mph, 2300 lb funny car and totally blowing away the guy carrying his wife, two bicycles, 1000 lbs of water, every possession they own, and spare car? Oh, and John didn't tell them they were racing. I suspect John would not feel much satisfaction nor excitement from such an impressive feat. I seriously doubt he would be bragging up his car or crew.

Since a gasser is unable to "safely" carry the same weight as a diesel, perhaps a handicap system/formula needs to be created - as an industry standard?? I'm not exactly sure how this is done but it is common in golf and drag racing so perhaps someone can help.

Hmm, now that I think of it, maybe there is something to this, maybe this idea would really taking off. Imagine courses being constructed up big mountain passes that are dedicated for these RV races - steeply banked corners and all. I can imagine the courses lined with cheering and screaming fans, many of them sitting on their roof of their carbon fiber European supercars. RV's with big, fast looking numbers painted on the sides (a factory option) blasting up these courses at mind bending speeds approaching 40 mph. Shoot, the excitement of all this might even bring back the RV figure-eight racing that used to be so popular!

Talking thru this has caused me to change my mind!! This is not silly at all!! This is the FUTURE OF OUR PLANET and the idea is MINE!!! I’M GOING TO RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #2

Safely carrying the weight has nothing to do with what powers the motorhome. Economics and comfort play into the decision between gas and diesel more than the race. Only my experiance and opinion.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As long as they pass me safely while I'm doing going 55mph and really enjoying my driving part of the trip to the fullest, I just don't give a damn.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #4

This reminds me a bit of a conversation a couple of my friends had at work. One had a ski boat with a huge V-8 engine, pipes over the top and all that. The other one had a sailboat. As the discussion went on it eventually got to racing and the one with the ski boat challenged the sail boater to a race, anyplace you want. The sail boater said OK, how about to Hawaii? That, in my mind at least, pretty much sums up the difference between diesel power and gasoline.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Steve - that is awesome!!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

Race - Gasser vs. Diesel

Race? I'll win by doing 65mph with 1000+ miles on one tank.
Nuff said!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #7

JFNM,
Do you know Jay Lamm? He's built quite an empire around racing unlikely vehicles....you and he could rule the world together.

I'm in....
Anthony
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

just stay in the right lane and let us by
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

My hot rod Travco can take any school bus or fedex truck in my town when leaving the light. Where do I sign up?
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lawn mower races, tractor pulls and RV hauls - why not.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I could give a rats poop who would be faster. I'll just stay at my 62mph speed and let anyone pass me that wants to. I'm much more comfortable at that speed and feel I at least have a better control IF a situation should happen. Be Safe and Enjoy Your Travels!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #12

5Star Tuners says my gas V-10 has 392 hp. and 532 tq. My MH weights less than 16.5K loaded. I don't know of any Diesels with that power ratio.
My next motorhome will probably be a diesel because of its new size/gross wt.. (unless this new PSI gas engine is for real)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's not Gasser vs. Diesel it's Comfort vs. Speed?

I bought a great big coach for comfort parked.
I picked a diesel engine for comfort moving.

The fact that I can move my 26,350 lbs. house at all, any time, and almost anywhere makes me feel like a winner without the need to race.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKStall View Post
It's not Gasser vs. Diesel it's Comfort vs. Speed?

I bought a great big coach for comfort parked.
I picked a diesel engine for comfort moving.

The fact that I can move my 26,350 lbs. house at all, any time, and almost anywhere makes me feel like a winner without the need to race.
Wrong thread DKStall.

The thread title is "Race-Gasser vs. Diesel" If you don't agree with the title why not start your OWN thread.

Tags
ace, diesel, gas