Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
FW

Radiator cleaning

I'm an old shade tree mechanic. In the past to clean the fins of my
radiators, I could just open hood and start spraying the inside and outside of the radiator (no air or auto transmission fluid cooler), because of all the room in the engine compartment. Now there is almost no room to swing a sprayer.
I just came back from Alaska and the huge mosquitoes, dragon flies, mud from soaked road construction, etc.
I have a class 'C' and want to clean the radiator fins.
What can I do?

FW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 AM   #2

Often it can be quite a task removing the grill fascia cause they often use those fragile expanding fasteners. It's often the only way to gently remove some of the icky stuff with a stiff bristled brush.
That works on the A/C condenser (sandwich) in the front. The radiator often requires partial disassembly of the top cooling fan shroud to be able to back wash all the debris out the front. If you've not done it in ten yrs. it will be worth it.
Lather it up with some simple green and let it soak and soften up, then a good stream of water, carful not to bend any fins. You might try one of those cheap hanging basket watering wands to get in corners and hard to reach areas. Break the watering head off, bend it, and fit a short piece of rubber tubing & small ell etc.
Good luck on a hot day, get wet!

J & J & Kickr's the Vonderhund
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #3

Water is your friend here but lack of it too...

If class c then front facing so attack from ftont.

Start with a leaf blower on a dry day and work it until nothing comes out.

When bugs dry out their shape changes and often this will reduce the grip.

Repeat with blower after a day or so.

Next get a garden pump sprayer and mix a strong batch of tide or whatever the DW uses and soak the area in the morning then again about an hour later then at lunch gently rinse.

DO NOT use pressure nozzle as you do not want to force anything into the fins.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've never used this but.........

36" Air CombŪ Filter and Radiator Cleaner
Old 08-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Simple Green Extreme (safe for aluminum). I use a long garden wand and run water thru the fins from the rear and front as long as it takes to not see obvious junk. Then I spray Simple Green Extreme using a 2 gal sprayer on both sides of the radiator getting as much as possible on the radiator (and the CAC we have a rear diesel but same basic procedure should work for you). Let it sit a few minutes and rinse it out with water wand. Apply again, wait, rinse, then I crank the engine and let it blow the stuff out of the radiator. Man at the crud that comes loose. I then rinse it again with the water wand for a good while. Crank the engine again and let it blow. I rinse until I don't see any bubbles coming out while the fan is blowing. I rinse mine once a year.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW View Post
I'm an old shade tree mechanic. In the past to clean the fins of my
radiators, I could just open hood and start spraying the inside and outside of the radiator (no air or auto transmission fluid cooler), because of all the room in the engine compartment. Now there is almost no room to swing a sprayer.
I just came back from Alaska and the huge mosquitoes, dragon flies, mud from soaked road construction, etc.
I have a class 'C' and want to clean the radiator fins.
What can I do?
FW
Once you do get it clean....a piece of fiberglass window screen in front of the radiator will prevent it from getting gunked up so bad next time.
(An old shade tree mechanic should already know that).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
FW

Thanks All for the cleaning information. I'm fulltime and need to get to family's place to be able to the best job(no sprayer or blower with the motorhome). I'll try a little wash/rinse at a DIY car wash I can fit into/next to.
For Mel; I've lived in the SoCal area all my life and with the room in the engine compartment it was easy to hose down yearly. I've only had this 'C' for the last year.

Again, Thanks All
FW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

I use my Shop-Vac on the Jeep and water on the Ram.

Tags
radiator