Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2005, 08:30 AM   #1

We are newbs..We have a 36.6' MH and to level it in our drive the rear tires would have to be a foot off the ground,,Will chocking the front tires prevent the unit from rolling and be safe.We would do this so when we park the entry door would be facing our house, not our niebors..
TIA,, Ted O.

2000 Ford Lightning
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2005, 08:30 AM   #2

We are newbs..We have a 36.6' MH and to level it in our drive the rear tires would have to be a foot off the ground,,Will chocking the front tires prevent the unit from rolling and be safe.We would do this so when we park the entry door would be facing our house, not our niebors..
TIA,, Ted O.

2000 Ford Lightning
Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #3

Houndog, it sounds like you wanna chock the front tires and try lifting the rear duals off the ground with your jacks. In that case, I'd say an emphatic NO!
If you're really wanting the rig to go up a full foot, you're in for a lot of work. How about turning the coach around and raising the front? Either way, the wheels should be supported underneath with a ramp; -and in the case of duals, both wheels need ramps. So you're looking at 4 ramps for the rear, versus two ramps for the front. But the 12" height scares me and unless the ramps are unusually wide, they could well be unstable.
Maybe it's time to get some backhoe work done on your driveway...
Old 07-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #4

Yes I have the front raised,, wheels are about 1 ft. off ground..Thanks,, I'll heed your advice..
Ted O.

2000 Ford Lightning
Old 07-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #5

Houndog,

There are sevral reasons that you should not lift the wheels from the ground. The chassis manufacturers all say not to do so to avoid twisting the frame. That is in addition t the lack of stability. With the rear wheels in the air you also have no braking since both the parking brake and the park position of the transmission are disabled. That is also true with one rear wheel in the air. Because of that you would put undue stress on your leveling jacks and could very well damage them. You have made the proper choice to follow the advice of Troth.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:23 PM   #6

Thanks for your input Kirk..

2000 Ford Lightning
Old 07-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #7

I too have the same issue. In order to level mine I have to raise the rear about 10in on one side and 8 on the other. I built blocks the necessary highth length and width for each set of duals, raise the coach with the levelers, put the blocks under the duals and and then retract the levelers. Coach is level, no hanging suspension parts. I chock the fronts. I come off the blocks with simple ramps.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #8

Thanks, TwoOfUs , good idea...
Ted O.

2000 Ford Lightning