Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Ran fine, then died

This is a C-Series Cummins in a 1994 Class A motorhome. I fired it up the other day and it started Bang(!) right away like always. Ran for maybe five minutes, happy idle, then shut down. Wonít start again. It cranks great, tries hard, but not even a cough. No smoke. I suspect the fuel cutoff solenoid but I manually blocked it open and no difference. Here is one clue, as I crank there is no movement of the tachometer. Normally when cranking the tach will show a few hundred RPM but now nothing. Canít find a single fuse or breaker that isnít working. Ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds more like a fuel problem. I would check/replaceable filters. If a diesel has fuel it will run.

LEN

Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Sounds more like a fuel problem. I would check/replaceable filters. If a diesel has fuel it will run.

LEN
It has new filters. Even with old bad filters it would cough and try to start.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevfra View Post
It has new filters. Even with old bad filters it would cough and try to start.
I think that's the problem. Did the new filters get filled with fuel before starting it the first time? If not, then it ran until the air gap from the filters got to the engine, now it won't start with air in the line.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

It has hours of run time since the new filters went on.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It has hours of run time since the new filters went on.
Darn. That makes it more difficult to solve. Going back to the tachometer clue, can you test for voltage at the injector pump or fuel solenoid?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

Manual injection, and I manually operated the solenoid.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Manual injection, and I manually operated the solenoid.
After my Ford truck and IH tractor with manual injection run out of fuel, I have to crack the injector lines open where they go into the cylinder. Then I crank the engine until all of them are wet with fuel. Once they're wet, I know fuel is getting to the injector and they usually fire right up. Both of them have someone else operating them for snow removal. I can't seem to find someone who can read a fuel gauge when plowing, so it happens more frequently than it should.

Loosening the fuel line will also confirm that you're getting fuel to the injectors.

Is it possible that you're out of fuel? Or if your fuel pump is upstream from the tank, a crack in a fuel line or a loose connection will allow it to suck air and prevent it from starting.

With mechanical fuel injection, it's almost certain that it's a mechanical problem. Fuel isn't getting from the tank to the injectors. Either it isn't there in the first place, air is getting in the line to replace it or it's getting stopped before going into the engine.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriderLeon View Post
After my Ford truck and IH tractor with manual injection run out of fuel, I have to crack the injector lines open where they go into the cylinder. Then I crank the engine until all of them are wet with fuel. Once they're wet, I know fuel is getting to the injector and they usually fire right up. Both of them have someone else operating them for snow removal. I can't seem to find someone who can read a fuel gauge when plowing, so it happens more frequently than it should.

Loosening the fuel line will also confirm that you're getting fuel to the injectors.

Is it possible that you're out of fuel? Or if your fuel pump is upstream from the tank, a crack in a fuel line or a loose connection will allow it to suck air and prevent it from starting.

With mechanical fuel injection, it's almost certain that it's a mechanical problem. Fuel isn't getting from the tank to the injectors. Either it isn't there in the first place, air is getting in the line to replace it or it's getting stopped before going into the engine.
When this happens to you does your tach stop working?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
When this happens to you does your tach stop working?
I never noticed.
But, the truck doesn't have a tach. The IH Tractor has a mechanical tach so it ought to work.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Lift pump or injection pump problem. Crack the fuel line leading to the injection pump and see if you are getting fuel to the pump, if not the lift pump is the issue, if you are than it's an injection pump issue.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
The mechanical c 8.3 only needs fuel & air to run. If the fuel solenoid is held open it should start regardless of any fuse or electrical situation. I suspect a lack of fuel is the culprit.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #13

Check the fuel injection pump. The neighbor had the same problem this last winter and after replacing the injection pump, it ran just fine.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Check the fuel injection pump. The neighbor had the same problem this last winter and after replacing the injection pump, it ran just fine.

OK. Can you explain how that keeps the tach from working?

Tags
dutch star