Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Reading Michelin Tire Inflation Table

Until I get a chance to have my MH weighed (soon), I am going by the coach's weight ratings. Front gross axel is 10,500 and rear is 19,000. It has dual tires on the rear axel. The 4 rear tires are all Michelin XZA2 Energy 275 70R 22.5 and I have attached the Michelin table for the size that are on the coach below. So each axel ENDis rated at 9,500. Michelin says "The loads indicated represent the total weight of an axle end, in an RV application" If I am reading the table correctly, my gross rear axel end is slightly below the lowest rating for these tires and I should inflate at 85? Is this correct, or am reading this wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin tables.png
Views:	215
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	50293  
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

You are correct. Some owners inflate 5-10 psi above the table in order to allow for a side to side imbalance.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

These load/inflation charts are recommendations, not necessarily the optimum air pressure for your vehicle. Some folks swear the charts are the bible and are to be followed exactly. From my experiences, better handling and reduced tire wear are obtained with higher pressures than listed in the charts. I run closer to sidewall listed pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Manufacturers recommendations are for the minimum pressure needed to support that weight. Had the same results by going to a higher load range Goodyear tire on my MH. Although the minimum required was below 85#'s I found less squirm and a more stable ride at 90 psi. By the same token at pressures above 100psi, ride became noticeably rougher and did not track as well.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Always be sure to maintain the minimum pressure for your axle weight, but experiment with a little more pressure and you will probably find you will get better tire wear up to a point and then the ride will get pretty hard and rough. You just have to find that happy medium between wear and ride, but always stay above the minimum...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, everyone. I now feel much more confident about tire pressures.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefbvfd View Post
Always be sure to maintain the minimum pressure for your axle weight, but experiment with a little more pressure and you will probably find you will get better tire wear up to a point and then the ride will get pretty hard and rough. You just have to find that happy medium between wear and ride, but always stay above the minimum...
I had my rig weighed and got the corner weights - the results showed that I could reduce the pressures in my tires considerably from the manufacturer's recommendation. I wrote to Michelin to confirm the numbers and they did, indeen, confirm that I could actually run my tires at 80/85 front/rear instead of 95/90 front/rear. But then they said that I should follow the manufacturer's recommendation rather than their recommendation! So, since I've had no problems running at the higher pressures I decided to continue, but I'll use the lower values to set the limits for my TPMS system, giving me a wider range before I get a low pressure alarm.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #8

I adjusted my tire pressure according to their chart and we were much happier with the ride and handling.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The RV manufacturer's recommendation usually assumes a fully loaded axle. That's the only way they can do it, since they have no idea how much weight you will really carry. Therefore the information on the RV manufacturers tire placard is nearly always a worse-case number (each axle loaded to its max capacity). If you actually run less weight, you can reduce the pressure, but it's still smart to stay on the high side of the minimums shown in the tire tables.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

Also realize the chances are very high that you will have one side wight more then the other. Until you do four corner weighting, you may want to say add 750lbs and use 10,250 to check the chart. I'm in the group that adds 5 PSI to the chart's number. Load shifts, running long distance with steady cross winds loading the leeward side, etc.

Also realize that your duals are carrying half the axle load, so remember to divide say that 10,250 by 2.

Best of luck, be safe, have fun,

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote