Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #15

GA tavt tax should not be of concern when you are trading from one vehicle to another - true dealer trades reduce the amount of tax by the offset of the traded vehicle - you only pay the difference. I went thru this last year. This year I only paid $70 to renew the tag.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
GA tavt tax should not be of concern when you are trading from one vehicle to another - true dealer trades reduce the amount of tax by the offset of the traded vehicle - you only pay the difference. I went thru this last year. This year I only paid $70 to renew the tag.
Yea, and if all my business was done through a dealer that is correct. But, on something of such a large amount I would likely try to buy and sell privately which is where they get you. I have literally thought about exploring what it would take to try to get the law changed. If I sell a vehicle and buy another one from a private party I should be able to do the same offset.

Craig

Old 08-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #17

agreed, but we are not the Used Car Dealers Assc of Ga with their members and clout with the legislation : /

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer600 View Post
It's reeealy sounding like the bunk is the way to go!

I have seen a few of the 40G's online and like them in theory. Perhaps I just need to go get in one and see what I think. I really do like the Newmar's and I like what I see of the Entegra's too. As for Tiffin I think it IS pretty odd just how much people talk about all the trouble Tiffin resolves for them. I mean, shouldn't they be concerned that they had the trouble to begin with? haha.
Yes--you should walk through a 40G, and a Newmar or two. I will say that after owning my 40G for a while, the one criticism I have is that I don't like the couch that much. We aren't tall people, but we aren't short either. The seat of the couch is a bit too small (short front-to-back) for us to be really comfy without a foot stool. Having said that, the hide-a-bed inside it is a top notch airbed. Adults (one of which a fairly large man) who have used it say it's super comfy--even better than their home bed.

If you have the cash for a Newmar, they are certainly (IMHO) a higher quality coach and you will not be dissappointed. It's just that the Discovery line in Fleetwood really is a good value, and so I think we did things right (for us) by buying a Fleetwood Bunkhouse first. If we are fortunate enough to upgrade to a more "couple-centric" model in the future, unless things change markedly in the RV industry, it will be a Newmar. Personally, if I were you, I'd stop looking at Tiffins unless you enjoy yearly trips to Red Bay. From my reading, the primary attraction of the Tiffin line is the company owner, as he treats customers like royalty when they come back for repairs, and that is probably very flattering. He retired once, leaving the business to his son(s?), and things tanked. He came out of retirement again, saved the business, but he's still not getting any younger!

Entegra is an up and coming business, started by a couple of guys who left Newmar to have a go at their own business. They are new, with only a few floor plans, but they are making excellent RV's. If they have a floor plan that you love, you could do very well with one. There's little to customize with them, however, and they are new to the field so they don't have a long track record to trust just yet. That's why they are my second choice, but if a good deal were to be found, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on one.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #19

Thanks statgeek!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Craig,

Check out the Tiffin line up of coaches. Tiffin has a good rep for warranty work and it is only a days drive from Jeffersonville to Red Bay, AL where the Tiffin factory is.

Check out the Tiffin RV Network for more info on Tiffins.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #21

Entegra is a what ? up and coming business ? did Jayco recently sell this to someone that I missed ?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Craig,

Check out the Tiffin line up of coaches. Tiffin has a good rep for warranty work and it is only a days drive from Jeffersonville to Red Bay, AL where the Tiffin factory is.

Check out the Tiffin RV Network for more info on Tiffins.

Jon
Thanks Jon. I have looked at the Tiffins (and have been in more of those that probably anything else thus far). I lean toward the Newmar simply due to the look and feel. I just like it a little better. But, that's not to say I won't end up with a Tiffin. I like them too, it just takes a rare interior to float my boat.

All that being said, as an update, I now have a few challenges.

1. We feel like a bunk unit would be best for us. That being said, there are practically no Tiffin bunk units out there on RVTrader (a couple and I mean that near literally), and NO Newmars other than brand new ones or one so close to new that it has a newish price. There is a high end Fleetwood unit where they turned the master closet into bunks, but then where do you hang the clothes? So, unless a miracle happens it looks like we might have to be in the market for a Berkshire or a Fleetwood Discovery. There is no way I am buying new, certainly not at this early stage. Any thoughts from anyone?

2. The wife has gotten all freaked out reading a bunch of carseat nazi websites about how putting a carseat in a coach in tantamount to child abuse. (These people that have such absurd opinions really make me mad). I am trying to reason with her, and hope it's working. She is convinced that mounting the carseat to the dining table seat is not at all safe, and that using the couches is not an option. I don't necessarily disagree, but think there must be a good way to do it. The last thing I said, only halfway joking, was that I could get an SUV back seat seat out of a nice SUV from a junkyard and mount it to the floor/frame in the place of a chair or something to that effect. It would take some work to make that look right, but I suppose anything is possible. I also mentioned creating some recessed latch mounts in the floor right near/between the front seats.

She first said "We are not buying a motorhome, it's not safe. We can consider a truck and 5th wheel (this was straight from one of the nazi people who in the same breath said something to the effect of "since you need a moving motel room" grrr). I don't really want a 5th wheel and a truck. I don't know why, but to me the idea of driving the big 'ol bus is neat and exciting. It's different ... and seems like it would be way more comfortable to drive, to be high, to see out, and most certainly to have the convenience of pulling over and walking back to the bathroom or fridge (or even stopping somewhere and putting the slides out, flipping on the gen, and chilling for a little bit).

I have looked at 5th wheels online and haven't seen one (even Elite Suites) that seem as nice at the Newmars, and you get none/few of the conveniences of the above. Plus, the thought of dragging a 5th wheel across the country seems "wasteful" ... don't know how to explain what I mean any more than that. Perhaps since I have owned F250's for 5 years and literally just traded mine for a BMW M5 2 months ago. I have driven a diesel truck for 5 years ... I don't particularly want to set out across the country in one.

So, there is a lot there that could be commented on I suppose. My desire for a motorhome, the types available, my resistance of a 5th wheel, and probably most importantly, ideas about mounting the carseats in a way that makes the wife happy.

Thoughts appreciated!

Craig
Old 08-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO a coach is no more or less safe than any other vehicle. Most of the accidents are caused by people not the vehicles.

If you are concerned about safety a look at Consumer Reports might be in order. Not sure if they rate MH but they might. If they do not it would be because there is not enough concern for them to do the work.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #24

I suggest that you still look closely at a slightly used Newmar. Notice that they are much more affordable than new ones, but still fairly high. OK, when you want to get out of it, the used price of the better quality coach will keep you from losing too much on that deal.

Quality shows, and it has its own rewards.

As for car seats, yes do whatever you have to to feel safe with your kids. Remember that a coach will not get bashed around in a collision the way a Pinto will.

Also consider that with a nice coach, tending to the children while under way is much easier than in a truck, and while you are moving at all you can't get into a trailer.

Most importantly, don't go too cheap! The experience will sour all of you on the RV life.

Now go have fun!

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #25

Thanks for the feedback!

I really do like the Newmars but there are few to none with bunks. There is the Dutch Star 4312 which looks awesome, but there are no affordable used ones on the market that I have seen. I love the idea of the separate room.

To entertain the wife, I did do a little looking at 5th wheels due to the car seat concern and I found a couple units that have a "bonus room" which is similar to the 4312 in function - but is a 5th wheel. I love the idea of the motorhome and being able to get up and about while driving on long stretches, or even if you pull over it's a whole lot easier than a 5th wheel can dream of being.

All that being said, part of the urgency was so that the wife could go with me to this conference next month. She is now saying that maybe she should just stay home. If that is the case, it removes the urgency for buying something (which is good and bad!). I can just fly out and back and we can take more time and figure out what we want.

What I think I figured out about the car seat in the motorhome is to get something with a floorplan with opposing couches or couch and two recliners, and replace the recliners (or one of the couches) with two of the front seats that can lock in place. Then we could lock forward and put car seats in them, and spin around when we get where we are going. Seems to make sense anyway. Any thoughts?

All of that being said, I wonder if a 5th wheel might be a good way to start off, and then plan buy a motorhome later when the kids are a little older and can just seatbelt on the couches. It's cheaper, has less car seat concerns, and I could drive the truck for other purposes. I don't like not being able to "use it" as readily as a motorhome but it's not a horrible compromise.

Craig
Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #26

Just an update - The wife is staying home and I will be going on this trip without her. I am flying out and flying back but my trip changed and I have 4 nights between the conference in Tucson and a conference in Vegas, 2 nights in Vegas and then home.

So, I am pondering renting something while I am out there to get my beak wet. I will be more prepared to convince the wife once I have "done it". ;-)

I am going to post a new thread in the "Camping Locations" section. Would love to hear your tips! And I hope to be behind the wheel of our very own MH in the hopefully not so distant future!

Craig

Tags
advice, motorhome