Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
Plan B was (Still is) a 5th wheel and a diesel TV.
All options are viable! It's your toy, play with it how you like, right?

For the long haul, you'll appreciate the diesel. And understand the price is also including the air suspension, that big transmission and the like...

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Here's a thought, sit down with your partner and make a list of what you want in your next RV purchase, then go looking for one that meets your bucket list.

For example;
Residential fridge or propane/elect, side by side or top/bottom

Closet space, she always gets the biggest one and he gets the little one. Our 2001 Tradewinds has hers fully across the back and his 5' dbl sliding mirrored doors in bath area.

Nightstands on each side.

Table or booth with drawers under

TV location

Cabinet space

Outside Compartments; Swing out sideways or upward.

How many slides.

Weight limit on pulling Toad

A/C on top or under

And a lot more

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #17

Very cool about Tyndall. I'm sitting in Bahrain right now during Ramadan with lots of spare time to plan out my rv purchase.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #18

I stil don't get this gas / diesel debate....... Maybe years ago, the gassers were so significantly "less" in many ways to a DP, but I just don't see it that way with the newer coaches to a great degree. And no, I am not saying a $75k new entry level Coachman gas A is comparable to a $75k 10 year old Monaco DP that was $300k when new either.......

If you are under 36' you are probably going to get a gasser, but there are some smaller DPs, over 40' and it is going to be a DP period.

If you need to tow over 4500-5000 pounds, you probably need a DP, no matter what length you think you want.

We are just finishing up a trip to the Smokies and Asheville, and had our first encounter with some longer grades. Slow, but not that big of a deal, and we actually passed several semis on grade without pushing it.

We are going from Atl to upstate NY later this year, and out west next year. Yes, we'll be slow on the grades, but really, think about this - how many hours of driving on severe grades are you really going to do compared to the total time in the MH. A lot,then it certainly changes the equation.

Along the same line, DPs just drive better...... Again, how much time are you actually driving your MH? I love all the 15 year old DPs for sale with 60,000 miles. Yep, 2000 miles one a year to FL in Nov, and 2000 miles back home in April, and it sits in FL for 6 months,and in storage for 6 months..... And that is a reason to worry about how much better they drive?

I preferred new to used, and won't get into that debate. I wanted to stay under 35'. I did not see the need to spend $75k-$100k more for a similar size DP given our expected use / needs. But, we did bump our budget once we saw the Tiffin..... And after now 5 trips and 40+ days out over the last 3 months, we still have yet to see a coach we like better than what we have at any price point (45' luxury DPs included......).

I know there is a cross over point when you start looking at used units, so just find what fits your needs, and my bet is that the DP / gasser equation solves itself.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #19

If you can afford the DP and want it get one, like you said it is your first Big Toy.

If a DP puts you in a price range you are uncomfortable with then go gas. They will go all the same places as a DP and doubt full you would ever wear either out. You just have to decide how much is a Toy Worth to you. Is a DP worth it? There are so many varibles that go beyond gas vs diesel.

My best advice would be pick a budget and compare different rv's. Don't look at one because it is gas or diesel if you are undecided.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
Am I going to be struggling to pull a toad or a motorcycle trailer down I-95 going the speedlimit with a gas Class A? (V-10 Triton?) What about 81 through VA to TN?
You've gotten some good answers and things to think about. However, it's not wise to drive a motorhome or really, any RV at 81 mph. You have very little stopping leeway.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You've gotten some good answers and things to think about. However, it's not wise to drive a motorhome or really, any RV at 81 mph. You have very little stopping leeway.
I hope he was talking about a hwy 81 not running 81 not that I haven't done it but it is pretty fast in a Rv.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe there are many of us that bought the gas units and all that is said about them is the truth but we soon knew a DP was in our future...if you are driving under 500 miles a year get a gas unit. There are DP's to be had in your price range.. Will you spend to keep it up?? Yes!!! You will have a vacation home to keep up on the inside that sits on a truck chassis that has to be cared for. A house will have something every year to repair or replace... Our vehicles require maint and then stuff wears out... I amazed at people who are up set they have a RV and expect it to not require $$$ to keep... The day I can't keep it up I need to sell it... Now I could not purchase a new DP but I love our 2005 fleetwood expedition 38n...pls take it from me BUY the DP first and you will be glad you did... GlenB
Old 06-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #23

Regarding finance, just me, but I learned if I can't pay cash for a toy, I don't need it. Justifying the RV expense is hard enough, but the interest made on payments? Holy cow, I couldn't justify that. Even if you're able to deduct it, you're getting what back? One out of 4 spent? Maybe 1/3?

I ended up with a DP I could afford to pay cash for, and have never regretted it. I enjoy travel in/though the hills and the gas brakes scared me regularly. Air brakes and exhaust brakes will be under me from here out.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I-81 runs down Virginia to TN it's got a lot of hills.... Definitely not doing 81mph!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:41 AM   #25

I'm looking at a 2008 Tiffin Allegro open road 35QBA freightliner chassis. It's a front engine diesel, but it fits my price range, has bunks for the kids, and it checks all the boxes for us. There are 4 that I've found for sale from 65-73k. I'll put 10% down, finance the rest and still have plenty left for maintenance and emergencies. I'll probably be putting about 3-5k a year on it for the next 3 years, then probably really start loading miles on it once our oldest son graduates high-school.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:00 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Here is a complete check list when you find the one you want ... RV Inspection Checklist good luck
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #27

FWIW it looks like you need to figure out what you want. With an A gas you can tow what you listed at 65 MPH with the trucks on the roads you are talking about. Maybe a few hills will slow you a bit but you will have company as well as your toys. In your budget range you can buy new to a couple years old depending on the size. For $75K I'd look a couple year old used. In 10 years I'd have a unit less than 15 years old probably still going strong. The DP option gets you into a 10 year old machine that will be 20 in 10 years plus be more likely to run up some interesting bills. Both will work as well as you need but maybe not as well as you want. Your other options will not let you haul the toys and the house most places. It comes down to balancing your risk aversion for an older unit vs your need for the luxury for what is a vacation cabin. I'd go with the gasser. YMMV.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Most diesel rigs are not running with engines at full power to move the RV .... Thus most RV are like a semi running unloaded most times .... 500,000 miles is nothing on a cat cummins or Allison .. no comparison to gasoline . most buses will run over 1,000,000 miles plus . Might have to remodel the inside over the years but you won't wear one out if you keep up the PMs .. So I'd buy a used DP every time. I enjoy working on mine servicing it is simple....

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, purchase